Silencers? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2017, 09:13 AM   #1

Silencers?

Read an article on the possibility of legalizing silencers.
What would be the advantage of a silencer other than covert operations?
Seems they would be too bulky for every day carry and on the range seems they would change the overall handling/accuracy as opposed to without.

Struggling gun industry looks to Congress to make silencers the next big thing
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-16-2017, 11:29 AM   #2
Super Moderator

First they're called suppressors and the primary reason for them would be to help protect/preserve your hearing. Firing a gun with a suppressor in real life is not like it's shown on TV or in the movies. A 1911, firing a 230-grain .45 ACP cartridge, will generate about 162 dB of sound.

Putting a suppressor on that 1911 will reduce the sound to somewhere around 133 dB. That’s below the OSHA maximum exposure level for an “impulse noise.” But you don’t want to expose your ears to a continuous barrage of 133-dB noise, either.

The bottom line is that silencers are great, and a massive improvement to hearing safety but the gun is still going to go bang and people will hear it.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:53 AM   #3

Skip to the 1:55 point of the video and listen to the difference.

Chuck43, Markie, starnovi and 1 others like this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2017, 11:56 AM   #4

My man Chuck explained it perfectly. I hope the law passes and makes it easier to purchase silencers, I'm all for it.
Chuck43, Marshall, cnutco and 1 others like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 12:19 PM   #5

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
First they're called suppressors and the primary reason for them would be to help protect/preserve your hearing. Firing a gun with a suppressor in real life is not like it's shown on TV or in the movies. A 1911, firing a 230-grain .45 ACP cartridge, will generate about 162 dB of sound.

Putting a suppressor on that 1911 will reduce the sound to somewhere around 133 dB. That’s below the OSHA maximum exposure level for an “impulse noise.” But you don’t want to expose your ears to a continuous barrage of 133-dB noise, either.

The bottom line is that silencers are great, and a massive improvement to hearing safety but the gun is still going to go bang and people will hear it.

Just my personal opinion but I would much rather use ear plugs/muffs in place of having that big piece of " suppressor" hanging off the end of the barrel.
starnovi likes this.
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 12:59 PM   #6

Silencer vs. Suppressor, What?s the Difference? ? WhatAreYouBuyen
starnovi and PaulWVa like this.
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 01:15 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Trex View Post
Just my personal opinion but I would much rather use ear plugs/muffs in place of having that big piece of " suppressor" hanging off the end of the barrel.
Having a suppressor is not an excuse for not wearing hearing protection. Smart shooters with suppressed firearms still wear hearing protection.
2sharp2, Trex and PaulWVa like this.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:32 PM   #8

Originally Posted by Trex View Post
Since I own more than one gun I could see using a suppressor on one of my 9mms or even a .22. No one said that once you have one you must use it all the time. Frankly with as bad as my ears ring after 50 years of shooting and working in loud environments I'd love to try a suppressor. "Don't knock it 'till you try it"

And Chuck is correct ....it's "suppressor" to gun people....it's "silencer" to movie and TV people.

Last edited by PaulWVa; 09-16-2017 at 09:34 PM.
PaulWVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 07:37 PM   #9

Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Skip to the 1:55 point of the video and listen to the difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYe1ez7eWKQ
Cool video ...from my local boys just up road in Mo-town. Notice the lack of smoke and particles in the air with the suppressor ...interesting.
Chuck43 likes this.
PaulWVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 08:50 PM   #10

"Silencers" ( Suppressors)

A very interesting subject.....All of our lives are affected by noise reduction surrounding our individual life styles. Many industrial plants require hard hats & ear plugs to enter the building. Nothing wrong with that....! Cars, generators, motorcycles, lawn mowers, etc. are required to have mufflers. All in the interest of public safety for hearing protection. "Silencers" don't really "silence" the noise level of firearms, only "suppress" the decibel level to a point that is below the level of injury to ones hearing. If one is shooting suppressed, it is important to keep your ammo selection to rounds with FPS below the speed of sound if you want to truly stay subsonic. You can suppress the sound at the muzzle, but the supersonic crack is beyond control.

I personally have (4 ) suppressors (all legal with tax stamps) rated for .22 through .45 & can use and/or hunt with in my state.

I'm hoping the Hearing Protection Act becomes a reality for all gun owners & hunters
Chuck43, 2sharp2 and PaulWVa like this.
RickOShay is offline   Reply With Quote