The Better or Perfect Kimber - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2017, 07:22 PM   #1
Super Moderator

The Better or Perfect Kimber

This is for the members that EDC Kimbers. I'm guessing that the Kimber you have chosen to trust your life and your love'd ones lives to is in your mind a damn'd good gun...... but. There's always that "but", no gun is perfect, I'd like to hear about the Kimber you've chosen and what it needs to bring it up to that next level, not necessarily to make it perfect but to make it better in your mind. My all out favorite Kimber would be a draw between my Super Carry Pro and my Classic Carry Pro but I don't carry them.

In my mind the best gun Kimber ever made for carrying is the "Tactical II". It came with Tritium night sights, front strap and under trigger guard checkering, checkered MSH, extended mag well and extended ambidextrous thumb safety. It was offered in all 3 sizes, I chose the Ultra (3") for my carry gun. It came with a consistent 4 !/2 lb trigger that I polished and ended up with a 3 1/4 lb average for 10 pulls with my trigger gauge. At almost 3800 rounds it's handled perfectly everything I've ever loaded it with without exception. "But" there it is, it's not perfect, it has a fault. About 2 years or so ago I had a problem that left my left hand almost useless (there's a post about it someplace here on the forum). At that time I switched carry guns to my Super Carry Pro because it has a special rear sight that Kimber offers on very few guns and they don't offer it for sale, it has a cocking shoulder. This allows you to rack the slide on your 1911 by running it down your pants leg and snagging the rear sight on you pocket or using a desk or table top to rack the slide. If my Ultra Tactical II could be upgraded with this rear sight I think it would be very close to a perfect carry gun.

Now let's hear your ideas........
Nellybelle, Tejun, Jflytle and 2 others like this.

Last edited by Chuck43; 10-22-2017 at 05:16 AM.
Chuck43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-30-2017, 07:31 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Let me add, this isn't for posting problems you're having that you'd like to see corrected. This is for proven EDC guns that you wouldn't think twice about carrying heading into a questionable situation. Again this is about making good guns better.

Last edited by Chuck43; 10-22-2017 at 05:17 AM.
Chuck43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 07:47 PM   #3

The Better or Perfect Kimber

I really love my Ultra Covert II. I trust it. Iím good with it and Iím also content with that size barrel. I donít expect to shoot anyone past 25 yards and even so, I think it would be fine. If you are worried about loosing a round. Carry extra mags. If anything like that starts bothering you, go pro or govt.
OR - start carrying plastic. 15 round average of 9mm are just as good. Love my Sigs and HKs for that end of spectrum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Chuck43 and starnovi like this.

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - Sumner Gun - ANJRPC - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
bhunted is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2017, 09:37 PM   #4

Well lets see I EDC most of the time a CDP Ultra that I added a CT Red grip to but it didn't take long to make it better/perfect for me I changed to a CT Green laser grip. Function is perfect, fires Speer 185gr +P's until my wrist hurts so don't know anything else it needs.

On occasion when I get in a mood I will change my EDC to a RCP Ultra, which OMG does not have any sights. I bought the non-LG model on purpose because I knew I would add a CT Green laser grip. Just as reliable and accurate as the CDP ultra so as far as I can tell it doesn't need anything else either.

Perfect? For you maybe not? For me Yes, I think so.

Sometimes I roll with a revolver, the other week when we went to Biloxi MS, I changed over and was CC the Charter Arms .44spl Bulldog with 3 speed loaders. Never felt under gunned or at a disadvantage.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 10:18 PM   #5

I got my first Kimber 1911 in June (first Kimber what-so-ever, actually). It is the Pro Carry II two tone in 9mm. It is my go-to carry pistol, that and my Springfield XDs-9 with a 3.3" barrel. That said, I would make it better by: Thinning the grips about 2mm each side, giving it a rounded heel, better sights, and if we are dreaming - keeping the same capacity (9+1) but shortening the grip about 1/4". But realistically, the Super carry pro but in 9mm (and thin grips). Too bad the super carry pro isn't available in 9mm...
FlamencoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 10:51 PM   #6

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
There's always that "but", no gun is perfect, I'd like to hear about the Kimber you've chosen and what it needs to bring it up to that next level, not necessarily to make it perfect but to make it better in your mind.

Can I play, Chuck, even though I don't carry my only Kimber? Mine's an Ultra CDP II. Even though I don't carry it, it's not that the Kimber is lacking in any way. It's 100% reliable, slick to operate, has nice sights, easy to shoot quickly and accurately, and is a comfortable size. I think the biggest reason I don't consider it for carry is that it's a very pretty gun, and the Kimb-o-leum finish is not excessively durable. If I carry a gun, it's going to get used in harsh conditions. Since I already have guns that fit the EDC role, the Kimber will sit in the safe and only come out for play.

Do you practice racking the slide one-handed? Desktops are good, pants legs... not so good... and near impossible with some guns. If you NEED to perform such a feat, you're already going to be screwed up and at risk of being out of the fight. You'll need all the advantages you can muster. You need to get small and stabilize yourself quickly. Consider taking a knee, and racking the slide on the heel of your shoe. It's a more solid surface, and you will be better able to maintain proper muzzle discipline. Two things: if you ram the muzzle of your beloved Kimber into the dirt, don't come crying to me. And if you shoot yourself in the foot, be sure to post the video on Kimbertalk.
Chuck43, 2sharp2, Tejun and 2 others like this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 05:18 AM   #7

For about 1 1/2 years I've been carrying my Eclipse Pro II 45. It's the oldest semi auto I own so I have the most experience with this gun. It's proven reliable, I shoot it better than everything else I own except maybe my Raptor. It's got night sights, front strap checkering, I've added a WC magwell.
The gun is all stainless so if it gets any marks on it you can polish them out or use some very fine sandpaper and it looks new again.
I do change carry guns from time to time based on attire.
Chuck43, Marshall, 2sharp2 and 2 others like this.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 07:06 PM   #8

Easy, my EDC Ultra Aegis with over 6,000+ rounds without a single failure. The last few thousand rounds consist of 3 mags of 147 Federal HSTs once a week or so.

It lovely has a few scraps, holster wear and the black slide it starting to fade to gray in some spots. It's like a perfect broken in pair of levi's

20160515_100615.jpg

20160515_100839.jpg

20160515_100809.jpg

20160515_100550.jpg

20170301_151049_resized.jpg
Chuck43, Tejun, cousinmark and 2 others like this.
I'm a 1911 addict -- GI CCO 9mm, WC Sentinel Compact 9mm, WC ULCC 9mm, WC Professional 38 super, WC Stealth 38 super, WC Bobtail Professional 9mm, DW CCO 38 super, DW CBOB 38 super, Kimber Ultra Aegis 9mm and a little Sig P938
azguy1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 07:15 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Question. How can a handgun be an EDC (every day carry) if you don't carry it every day?
Chuck43 likes this.

Ohio Chl holder
NRA member
Old age isn't for sissy's
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 07:28 PM   #10

To me EDC = carried every day I want to!
Tejun, JC45, Elf1 and 1 others like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308