• 1 Post By Chuck43
  • 1 Post By 427malibu
  • 1 Post By Chuck43
  • 2 Post By Marshall

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2017, 05:08 PM   #1

Kimber Mircro 9 (safety question)

Hello all!
New to the forum and also new first Kimber owner.

I read a little about my issue but did not see an exact answer I am fully understanding.

My micro 9.
When hammer is down. Safety engaged, can be pulled back "half cocked" , the hammer will NOT allow me to fully pull it to the full back position. BUT when "half cocked" I can pull the trigger and the hammer will drop.
My issue is it DOES leave a mark on the primer. It is small, however it is noticeable and is concerning. Yes I did do this multiple times on the same primer and multiple rounds, and it NEVER went off, but is this normal?

And while I have you I have a few more issues I came across first time shooting it (200 rounds)...
When I purchased the gun, I did not oil it just used it out of the box if that makes a difference in the next issues.....

When I have the rail in the open locked position if I hit the bottom of the grip as if to slam a magazine in, the rail will close.
This was surprising when I did put in a fully loaded magazine while the rail was opened and locked and when I slammed the magazine in the gun closed and basically hot. Is this normal?

Last issue,
Not going into full battery when firing.
First 30 rounds went beautifully. From there the not going into full battery got worse and worse to the point it was happening 5 times out of 7 shots. Push the rail close and it fires.... Is this because it needs oiling? I have seen reviews of this happening but not anyone saying "keep it oiled and no issues" so I ask has others had this problem?

Thank yo for taking the time to read and love to hear your responses... HELP!!
majik is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-14-2017, 05:39 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois majik and congratulations on the new M9. I'm not an M9 owner so I can't address your safety questions.

As for your failure to go into full battery....... the first thing we tell people and all the owners manuals I have for my Kimbers say is to clean and oil the gun before making your first range visit. New guns until they are fully broken require a little more frequent cleaning and oiling. Some members here like to say run them wet, regardless of how you do it they need lubrication to run properly.

Now, how about going over to our New Member Introduction sub forum and introduce yourself to the membership.
Marshall likes this.
Old 10-14-2017, 05:53 PM   #3

Welcome from eastern pa. I have a micro 9 cdp, this is not meant to be carried half cocked. Question why do you put your safety on with the hammer down? At half cocked with the safety on the firearm will fire, it's meant to be carried fully cocked and locked. .
Trex likes this.
427malibu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2017, 05:54 PM   #4

I just tried inserting my mag with slide locked, it stays back, are you slamming it that hard?
427malibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 06:07 PM   #5

Originally Posted by 427malibu View Post
Welcome from eastern pa. I have a micro 9 cdp, this is not meant to be carried half cocked. Question why do you put your safety on with the hammer down? At half cocked with the safety on the firearm will fire, it's meant to be carried fully cocked and locked. .
Originally Posted by 427malibu View Post
I just tried inserting my mag with slide locked, it stays back, are you slamming it that hard?
Hi and thank you for replying...

I came across this by error. I tried pulling the slide back while safety was on and realized it was in half cock... I then wondered if it would lower the hammer when triggered which it did ...which surprised me is all. I then looked at the primer and see the pin does hit the primer. Again if it is not a issue with the gun and is supposed to happen then ok.

As for the hardness of hitting the mag in (extended mag btw).. I suppose it depends on how hard is hard?? But I do not believe it is very hard.. and I can slam many guns and the slide does not move.

On a side note I am not the most experienced with guns. Meaning I do not know every gun and manufacturer but I have a Barretta 90Two (9mm) and a Taurus 1911 (.45) .
I purchased this gun because my wifes midget hands can reach the slide release and can easily engage it unlike the M&P shield and a few others.
So my thinking was maybe because it is so easy to engage the slide (with the release) that this is why slamming or hitting the mag into the gun makes the slide shut so easily? Also this does it even without the mag in with the same force.

I only am asking because I do not know all that much about guns and their parts... but I am learning! Just want to make sure it is or is not an issue that needs sending back is all.

As for the oiling, I did read through the manual (obviously not good enough) and did not notice anywhere that said out of the box needs oiling before first rounds... I actually looked for that because I was curious if I should or not. Again I may have overlooked it. It does say to oil it but I thought it didn't say WHEN .. just how.

So I am assuming for the not going back into full battery .. keep it oiled and keep shooting it to "break" it in?! ... OK no problem !

Thanks again for the replies I appreciate it
Old 10-14-2017, 06:26 PM   #6

Originally Posted by majik View Post
Hello all!
New to the forum and also new first Kimber owner.

I read a little about my issue but did not see an exact answer I am fully understanding.

My micro 9.
When hammer is down. Safety engaged, can be pulled back "half cocked" , the hammer will NOT allow me to fully pull it to the full back position. BUT when "half cocked" I can pull the trigger and the hammer will drop.
My issue is it DOES leave a mark on the primer. It is small, however it is noticeable and is concerning. Yes I did do this multiple times on the same primer and multiple rounds, and it NEVER went off, but is this normal?

And while I have you I have a few more issues I came across first time shooting it (200 rounds)...
When I purchased the gun, I did not oil it just used it out of the box if that makes a difference in the next issues.....

When I have the rail in the open locked position if I hit the bottom of the grip as if to slam a magazine in, the rail will close.
This was surprising when I did put in a fully loaded magazine while the rail was opened and locked and when I slammed the magazine in the gun closed and basically hot. Is this normal?

Last issue,
Not going into full battery when firing.
First 30 rounds went beautifully. From there the not going into full battery got worse and worse to the point it was happening 5 times out of 7 shots. Push the rail close and it fires.... Is this because it needs oiling? I have seen reviews of this happening but not anyone saying "keep it oiled and no issues" so I ask has others had this problem?

Thank yo for taking the time to read and love to hear your responses... HELP!!
The hammer half cocked with the safety on will not result in a "fire" situation. If your trigger is "live" with the safety on you have an issue.

Just a guess here, but you didn't read the manual or disregarded the part where it stated to clean and lube your gun before using it.

Inserting a mag should never make your slide shut. Using the slide stop or the sling shot method is the only way that a gun should go into the battery position.

The gun comes from the factory with a bit of grease or a little lube on the slide and as Chuck stated run it a bit wet to break it in.

Finally, why would you have the safety on with the hammer down ? Is there a round in the chamber ? If there is why isn't the gun in the "cocked and locked" position ?
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 06:45 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Marshall nailed it, for a more in depth explination the hammer safety stop is a notch on the hammer which prevents it from falling fully forward in the event of primary sear notch failure. It also prevents fingers slip from the slide or hammer while cocking the pistol, provided the hammer has been moved past the stop. The safety stop is not a manual safety! Do not under any circumstances use the safety stop as a “half cock” position. This misuse can result in damage to the sear, and/or unintentional discharge of the pistol. The safety stop position is an automatically engaging safety feature and should never be engaged by hand!
Trex likes this.
Old 10-14-2017, 06:52 PM   #8

Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
The hammer half cocked with the safety on will not result in a "fire" situation. If your trigger is "live" with the safety on you have an issue.

Just a guess here, but you didn't read the manual or disregarded the part where it stated to clean and lube your gun before using it.

Inserting a mag should never make your slide shut. Using the slide stop or the sling shot method is the only way that a gun should go into the battery position.

The gun comes from the factory with a bit of grease or a little lube on the slide and as Chuck stated run it a bit wet to break it in.

Finally, why would you have the safety on with the hammer down ? Is there a round in the chamber ? If there is why isn't the gun in the "cocked and locked" position ?
I suppose my answer to all your questions are I am learning to carry.
I understand what you are asking and I do not have a good answer for you about being cocked and locked when safety is on. All I can say is I believe (since I am learning) that I am fully trying to UNDERSTAND the gun and what can or can not happen. I hear you and again I say I am learning. Yes I do believe I need to take a gun safety class so that I can understand more. I guess it is just trust in myself and trust in the weapon.

I feel I need to fully understand the gun and everything about it before I can trust myself with it (or the gun for that matter)

About the mag being inserted and going into full battery ... I have been told not to be delicate with handguns. As in don't slowly insert the mag.. don't slowly pull and slowly release the rail, doing so could cause jams or issues to occur. So by pushing the mag with the palm of my hand or hitting it with the palm of my hand the rail closes with or without the mag in . I suppose I should have someone look at this by your answer.

And yes I am about to make sure I read word for word what the manual says. I specifically looked for if I should oil it before first use and did not see it. (that does not mean it is not there, but obviously it probably is and in which case I did not read carefully enough ....not good practice for someone saying they are learning....my bad).

Again thanks for the replies!!
Old 10-14-2017, 07:06 PM   #9

We all started off at ground zero when learning about firearms so please don't ever hesitate to ask any questions about a firearm. As Chuck has stated many times..."There is no such thing as a dumb question".

"Cocked and locked" is having a round in the chamber, hammer open and safety on. The "ONLY" way to carry a firearm in my opinion.
Old Timer 57 and Jack4951 like this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 07:16 PM   #10
Super Moderator

We have no idea of where you live or what the requirements are for you to be able to legally carry a gun. I'd suggest you take a step back and look into your state's requirements first. If you live in a free state where there are no laws pertaining to carrying a gun then check into a gun safety class. In my opinion the 1911 is one of the safest guns made and if the M9 is treated like a 1911 you should be good to go.,

Search tags for this page
kimber micro hammer down da

safest way to carry the kimber micro 9

Click on a term to search for related topics.