Bureaucratic pains buying a new weapon - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2017, 02:57 PM   #1

Angry Bureaucratic pains buying a new weapon

So I "bought" a new SS Micro 9 today at a "Black Friday" sale at Bass Pro, which was a painful enough process as it was. Got there a little before store opening at 10am. Got number 57 at the gun counter. When called, I told them what I wanted and then told to wait in the pay line. After paying, took my paperwork to the background check submission line. After finishing that, there was another hour+ line to wait for the background check completion and actual pickup of your purchase. However, it was already 2pm and I left at that point because I was told that I'd need a "government issued document with my current address on it."

Hmm ok. Oh wait, I just got out of the military 6 months ago and we just had a house built and moved into it 3 months ago. I don't have anything with my current address on it! Talked it over with the sales rep and it seems the easiest, cheapest way will be to get a fishing license since it's a government issued document. The requirement for that? Two pieces of mail with my current address on it and $9 at the customer service desk.

It's simple enough, but completely idiotic in my opinion. I haven't been fishing in like 20 years and don't own a single piece of gear. I'm going through this completely asinine process just to get a document to support something I actually want to buy. Why can't the background check just use those same two documents that I'm using to get my 1-day fishing license with?

I've bought weapons at the Army/Air Force base exchange within the last few years and never remember going through such a nut roll. Oh well, I feel like I've blown off enough steam with my venting now so thanks for bearing with me. I guess I'll actually get to see my Micro 9 when I go back later tonight. Wish me luck, lol.
GoCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-22-2017, 03:16 PM   #2

Three months at your new address and you haven't changed your driver's license? Isn't that the law?

Still it sucks jumping through the hoops.
Gmountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 03:20 PM   #3

Well we just changed it to the apartment address that we were living at temporarily until our house was built. When we asked the DMV about it, they said all you have to do is write it on the back. Other than that, I've really only gotten a new license when the old one expired.

To be honest, for a few years in the Army I was just using an expired Texas license since they don't require you to keep it updated while you're on active duty.
GoCart is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-2017, 03:25 PM   #4

Would have been easier for you to get a weapon on the street, if you were a felon.
Chuck43, Marshall and Mini Me like this.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:08 PM   #5

That totally sucks
get your concealed license and put an end to that nonsense
I hope it all works out for ya
Elf1 likes this.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:24 PM   #6
Super Moderator

It could always be worse..... if I bought that gun here in Illinois and I had all licenses and documents required they'd thank me and say see you in 3 days when you can pick it up. This is their cooling off period so I don't buy the gun and immediately go out and shoot someone with it. They trust me with the one I'm legally carrying but not with the new one I'm buying. Makes sense to me......... not.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:38 PM   #7

Originally Posted by Jack4951 View Post
That totally sucks
get your concealed license and put an end to that nonsense
I hope it all works out for ya
Trust me when I tell you that isn't always true in many states. I have a permit and a UPIN from NICS and I still get a delay now and then. I know in Georgia that the permit is golden when it comes to buying new shooters.
Chuck43, Ice-and-Snow and DaveinNC like this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 04:41 PM   #8

There's a lot of hype behind the Bass Pro name. A few years back, I was curious, so I went to see for myself. I took a number, and was told it would be 45 minutes just to talk with a sales person. Yeah, I don't [email protected]#!ng think so! Home I went. The following day I discovered that there are PLENTY of FFL holders who sell guns from their dining room tables. I haven't bought a gun "the old fashioned" way since. Gunbroker is my new best friend.
Chuck43, Marshall, 2sharp2 and 1 others like this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 05:01 PM   #9

Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Trust me when I tell you that isn't always true in many states. I have a permit and a UPIN from NICS and I still get a delay now and then. I know in Georgia that the permit is golden when it comes to buying new shooters.
It's the same in NC; plunk down the CHP, OL, money, and walk out with the new toy.
Chuck43, Marshall and byern like this.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:17 PM   #10

How's the fishing going?
DaveinNC and Elf1 like this.
Gundude is offline   Reply With Quote