Kimber backlog? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2017, 02:22 PM   #1

Kimber backlog?

On Monday I got a great deal on a Kimber Stainless II from a local gun shop that is a Master Kimber Dealer. Their price matched the best price I could find online, and always preferring to support local business I plopped down my money there. Unfortunately, they didn't have any in stock. I knew that ahead of time and they said it was no problem to get one ordered. I figured maybe a week to get one in. However, I called them back today to see if there was any update and they said it was backordered from the factory and had no idea when they would ship their new batch. They said they never really know when things ship from the factory till they arrive. I understand that there is a backlog, but is it normal for Kimber to not give their dealerships any kind of heads up or estimated shipping info?
NewStainless is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-30-2017, 02:45 PM   #2

My LGS told me that they have a $5000 MOQ for Kimber. That may be the hold up. I know that's why I'm waiting for new Hero Custom. I don't think the Master Dealer really means much anymore. I know there discussion about that a couple of weeks ago on here.

AMERICA WE HAVE A PROBLEM
wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 04:05 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by wayne View Post
My LGS told me that they have a $5000 MOQ for Kimber. That may be the hold up. I know that's why I'm waiting for new Hero Custom. I don't think the Master Dealer really means much anymore. I know there discussion about that a couple of weeks ago on here.
At one time a Master Dealer was required to place a $20,000. order yearly and were listed on Kimbers website. The term Master Dealer is no longer used and almost any dealer selling new Kimbers are now listed on the website.
2sharp2 and PaulWVa like this.

Old 11-30-2017, 04:08 PM   #4

can't even get them to answer the phone today.
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:14 AM   #5

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
At one time a Master Dealer was required to place a $20,000. order yearly and were listed on Kimbers website. The term Master Dealer is no longer used and almost any dealer selling new Kimbers are now listed on the website.
The place I bought it from is listed on the Kimber website as an official dealer, so it's legit.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:59 AM   #6

May not be normal for Kimber but is pretty common.

That's why I go online to GunBroker locate the pistol I want for the very best price, click "Buy Now!" And usually in 2 to 5 days pick up my Kimber at my FFL. NO "out of stock," no "backorder" no wondering when or if Kimber will build more and finally send to a gun shop near me.
No hassle, no waiting.
Chuck43 and PaulWVa like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:36 AM   #7

Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post
May not be normal for Kimber but is pretty common.

That's why I go online to GunBroker locate the pistol I want for the very best price, click "Buy Now!" And usually in 2 to 5 days pick up my Kimber at my FFL. NO "out of stock," no "backorder" no wondering when or if Kimber will build more and finally send to a gun shop near me.
No hassle, no waiting.
I think I might do that next time. Never used GunBroker before.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:50 AM   #8
Super Moderator

GunBroker is the way to go, I've gotten some fantastic deals on it. When I'm thinking about a new gun it's the first place I look.
Marshall, 2sharp2 and PaulWVa like this.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:27 PM   #9

Originally Posted by NewStainless View Post
I think I might do that next time. Never used GunBroker before.

I don't know if I've bought the most guns from Gunbroker as a KT member but I must at least be in the Top 5. I'm going to go out on a limb and say once you try GunBroker the first time you won't look back at the local gun shop.
I was like you 5 years ago wanting to support my LGS. It got to be stupid. Times have changed my friend. I'd drive to LGS "Master Dealer" ask for Model X Kimber, or M1A or what ever, same story, don't have it, can't get it, don't want to look for one, don't want to order it plus I'm wasting his time and keeping him from selling two or three $400 Glocks to the punks behind me. One time he indulged me and told me what a M1A Loaded would cost me out the door of his store and he would have to order it. I told him I can order it off GunBroker for X amount like 400 less than his price...he said "that's less than my cost!" I no longer waste my gas and time to go to his store.
To be honest I enjoy the "hunt" or "online search" shopping for the best deal, sometimes watching auctions for weeks at a time, trying to figure the best bid price, bid and win. I've not won them all which I guess is a good thing to keep my investment advisor happy (wife) but that is part of the fun and game for me.
If it is something I really want and don't want to chance it I hit "Buy Now."
First time for you could be a little tricky but there is "Help" on there site, "How to Buy A Gun There" read the help info before you "Buy."
I think I can do it with my eyes closed by now.
Chuck43, Marshall, PaulWVa and 1 others like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 07:33 PM   #10

I have to agree with previous post. If it's a small shop, they have to have $5,000.00 in orders before they ship any.
I'm not sure this is true, but when I bought mine, the dealer told me my order put them over the $5,000.00 minimum. Now I'm just guessing if this is the case, it's what I was told.
I don't know if this is true or not.
Chuck43 likes this.
Gundude is offline   Reply With Quote