Sent Pistols Back to Kimber: What Should I Expect? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2017, 12:28 PM   #1

Sent Pistols Back to Kimber: What Should I Expect?

After speaking with a Kimber customer service rep I had to send two Micro 9s back to Kimber. (You can see the reasons in my update on p. 3 of this thread.)

I am wondering what I can expect from the process and as an outcome. My biggest fear is that Kimber won't be able to reproduce the problems and that I'll either have no fix or end up in a repeat round of calling and shipping. I have seen multiple threads in the site where Kimber fixed issues with members' firearms and am optimistic. The C/S rep assured me that he was taking notes on all of my issues and I also wrote them up and included the sheet and a couple of pics with the return shipment.

Can I expect the service technicians to contact me when they start working on the pistols? Or if they run into problems?

Will I be notified when the pistols are on the way back or does UPS just show up one day?

Can I expect a report of the findings and work done when the pistols come back?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Larry
lwestatbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-11-2017, 12:54 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by lwestatbus View Post
I am wondering what I can expect from the process and as an outcome. My biggest fear is that Kimber won't be able to reproduce the problems and that I'll either have no fix or end up in a repeat round of calling and shipping. I have seen multiple threads in the site where Kimber fixed issues with members' firearms and am optimistic. The C/S rep assured me that he was taking notes on all of my issues and I also wrote them up and included the sheet and a couple of pics with the return shipment. Including a written copy of the problem and pictures is a good idea.

Can I expect the service technicians to contact me when they start working on the pistols? Or if they run into problems?

No, they will not contact you when they start but will contact you if there is a problem that they need to discuss with you to get fixed.

Will I be notified when the pistols are on the way back or does UPS just show up one day?

Yes, they will let you know when it's on the way home.

Can I expect a report of the findings and work done when the pistols come back?

Usually but not always.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Larry
2sharp2 likes this.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:03 PM   #3

I sent one of mine back earlier this year. It was returned in a timely ( by their standards) manner along with a test target. Mine had a short throat which they corrected.
Phonejack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2017, 08:19 AM   #4

Originally Posted by Phonejack View Post
I sent one of mine back earlier this year. It was returned in a timely ( by their standards) manner along with a test target. Mine had a short throat which they corrected.
Thanks. So I assume they told you of a specific issue they had found and corrected?
Old 12-13-2017, 06:00 AM   #5

Fast Turnaround

I've just heard that the pistols are on their way back to me. When I sent them in I was told repair and return would take 4-6 weeks but my Inbox has just been flooded with notices from both Kimber and UPS that the pistols are expected later this week, about two weeks from my original shipment.

Had no interim contact from Kimber. One theory that is consistent with the sequence I'm experiencing is that my problems are known issues that aren't widely publicized and that Kimber knows what to do about them. I've also seen similar issues online.

I'll post updates when I get the pistols back and am able to take them to the range.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:28 AM   #6
Super Moderator

As I said in the other thread: Kimber usually quotes 4 - 6 weeks for a reason. If it takes less time they're heroes. If they told people it would be 2 weeks and it takes 3 then they're failures.
DaveinNC likes this.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:22 AM   #7

i've been thinking to send them back to kimber but never actually done it. thanks for this post and thanks for all the answers i found here.
lwestatbus, please do update as i'm very interested.
Beeptund81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 12:24 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois Beeptund81, how about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership?
Old 12-16-2017, 07:59 AM   #9

Got Them Back in Two Weeks

Wanted to update this post on my experience with Kimber even though I haven't been able to get the pistols to the range to evaluate the repairs yet. See the link in the original post in this thread for the issues I was having with two Micro 9s.

The pistols were delivered via UPS yesterday, exactly two weeks after I handed them in for shipment at a UPS facility (as required). They would have arrived one day earlier but I had to use UPS' system to reschedule for a day later as I couldn't be home on the scheduled delivery day. An adult over 21 has to be home to sign for the deliveries and I had to schedule around this requirement. I received e-mail's from Kimber for each pistol that they were on their way and a flood of notices from UPS, some of which stemmed from my delivery change.

Here are some of the salient points:
  • I received no communication from Kimber's maintenance department.
  • Each pistol arrived in its own box and as a separate shipment.
  • Each pistol had a sheet listing my issues and the work performed. List of my issues was pretty accurate. Not sure if it was from the cust service rep's intake notes or the letter I sent with the pistols.
  • Even though both pistols had the same issues the work performed was slightly different. One had the recoil spring replaced while the other didn't. Hopefully this means the pistols were evaluated for actual issues.
  • Both pistols had giude rods replaced, barrels refinished, chambers "reamed and polished", and extractors adjusted.
  • Both pistols were reported to have had three full magazines of 124 gr ball and one full mag of 147 ball fired through them. (This was interesting. I fire 115 gr through these. I reread the manual's coverage of ammunition but it doesn't state anything about bullet weight, just a requirement for factory loaded modern ammunition. But Kimber tests with the heavier bullet weights. I definitely want to pursue this idea further.)
  • Both pistols arrived without cleaning after the firing.
  • Both arrived with a new empty chamber indicator (orange plastic horseshoe)
  • I got a new 7-round magazine. The cust service rep said I didn't need to send any mags so I didn't but one of the pistols had a 7-round mag in the mag well when I received it.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:58 AM   #10
Super Moderator

I always break my guns in with the heaviest bullets available for the caliber. The heavier bullet requires the charge to build up a little more power before launching the bullet. This additional force helps overcome the stiffness and tightness of a new gun. Some people don't like shooting the 147gr bullets in the 9mm, they feel they're too "Snappy".
Marshall, 2sharp2 and Tejun like this.