12-16-2017, 07:59 AM
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Florida Space Coast
Got Them Back in Two Weeks
Wanted to update this post on my experience with Kimber even though I haven't been able to get the pistols to the range to evaluate the repairs yet. See the link in the original post in this thread for the issues I was having with two Micro 9s.
The pistols were delivered via UPS yesterday, exactly two weeks after I handed them in for shipment at a UPS facility (as required). They would have arrived one day earlier but I had to use UPS' system to reschedule for a day later as I couldn't be home on the scheduled delivery day. An adult over 21 has to be home to sign for the deliveries and I had to schedule around this requirement. I received e-mail's from Kimber for each pistol that they were on their way and a flood
of notices from UPS, some of which stemmed from my delivery change.
Here are some of the salient points:
- I received no communication from Kimber's maintenance department.
- Each pistol arrived in its own box and as a separate shipment.
- Each pistol had a sheet listing my issues and the work performed. List of my issues was pretty accurate. Not sure if it was from the cust service rep's intake notes or the letter I sent with the pistols.
- Even though both pistols had the same issues the work performed was slightly different. One had the recoil spring replaced while the other didn't. Hopefully this means the pistols were evaluated for actual issues.
- Both pistols had giude rods replaced, barrels refinished, chambers "reamed and polished", and extractors adjusted.
- Both pistols were reported to have had three full magazines of 124 gr ball and one full mag of 147 ball fired through them. (This was interesting. I fire 115 gr through these. I reread the manual's coverage of ammunition but it doesn't state anything about bullet weight, just a requirement for factory loaded modern ammunition. But Kimber tests with the heavier bullet weights. I definitely want to pursue this idea further.)
- Both pistols arrived without cleaning after the firing.
- Both arrived with a new empty chamber indicator (orange plastic horseshoe)
- I got a new 7-round magazine. The cust service rep said I didn't need to send any mags so I didn't but one of the pistols had a 7-round mag in the mag well when I received it.