Ever be surprised by someone you know is a gun person? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree105Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2017, 08:19 PM   #1

Ever be surprised by someone you know is a gun person?

(This may go long)

My wife frequents a local 2nd hand / charity store that a church runs - all the proceeds go to pay hospital bills for those less fortunate -
The place is kind of boring - but I occasional go in with her as they sell magazines for .05 cents each

There are a LOT of gun magazines, some 4 wheel drive related, some dirt bike/ adventure bike magazines I will buy.

Well last weekend I go in with her and there is 8 or so Concealed carry 8 more Ballistic and Recoil magazines and a few Kimber produced magazines - I scoop them all $179 worth of magazines for $1.60

Anyhow, we go to pay and the nice lady I enjoy talking to (give or take 65-ish years old) goes "Oh those are all mine - boy did I pay more for them then you're about to"
- stunned silence from my wife and I -

Then she points to the Kimber magazine and says I have that Micro 9 Sapphire, I have the Micro 9 in Bel Air also -
- Still... stunned silence....

The she says I ALSO HAVE a Stainless Ultra TLE II and one other, but my ears were ringing and my head was spinning - my wife elbows me in the ribs and says.... "there's a girl for ya dear"

- She CONTINUES to tell me for her 30th wedding anniversary her husband buys her a custom triplet of ceracoted GLOCK 17, 19 , 26 and had them coated to look like her Kimber Micro 9 Bel Air's

Says pretty much every Sunday after church they go out in the desert and shoot to let off steam...
When the weather warms, we've decided to all go shooting together... once I get my whits back about me and I re-asses this sweet older (NOT elderly) lady.

- If I can side note - I make a joke about the 4 wheel drive mags are hers, she says no - those are the husbands, she is a Camaro girl, pulls out her phone and shows us a Chocolate metallic 1988 IROC-Z she drove for years.....
Chuck43, 2sharp2, OLE442 and 11 others like this.
Slugnutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-11-2017, 08:33 PM   #2

Just goes to show ya ...ya never know.

Check this ... High school beauty, prom queen, home coming queen, Miss USA competitor ...real girly girl. Run into her 40 years later... My NRA CC instructor for my permit. Talk about not seeing that coming...
Chuck43, Markie, JC45 and 4 others like this.
PaulWVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 06:26 AM   #3

I always assume people I know or meet are both gun nuts and drinkers of adult beverages. I am only surprised when I learn they are not. Sometimes that is a deal breaker.
Chuck43, Marshall, Dude22 and 5 others like this.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2017, 08:44 AM   #4

Yesterday I got back to New Orleans Airport a little early for my flight back to Houston. Decided to pick up a magazine and found a Shooting Times magazine that had an article about 380s and the Kimber Micro Raptor. Brought it up to the Asian lady at the check out register. She looked down at the magazine and asked me if I like guns. Thought that was a loaded question, but chimed back "yes, I sure do". She smiled and said she just started shooting herself, but only a 22 caliber right now.... whaaaat ? totally surprised me. She asked about the gun on the cover (Micro Raptor) and I told her I was thinking of buying one. She asked what I liked about it, so I went over the features. She was very interested in the conversation. Would have stood around and talked with her (certainly had plenty of time), but the line to check out was getting longer and I'm sure the folks behind me were getting a bit pissed (especially if they were pressed for time).

You just never know.
Chuck43, Markie, Supertool and 2 others like this.
Tejun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:51 AM   #5

YEP! Back in the day I was shooting in the three gun matches on a regular basis. My ex wife worked as a part time cashier at the local Food Lion grocery store, her boss the store daytime manager was a small, nice blonde haired lady named Martha. Well Martha almost always shot better than me on the pistol parts of the matches. I had faster times but she was more accurate. I finally learned my lesson and slowed down and "make the shot" forget speed.
After Martha had been whipping my ass for about 8 months, I was in the store one day, ex wife said hey meet Martha she is my boss. I said I know your boss all to well...hi Martha, good to see you without a pistol in your hand.

Ex was confused, I said she is CC'ing a pistol and she knows how to use it, I shoot in the matches against her...
Chuck43, Markie, Supertool and 3 others like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 04:13 PM   #6

You never know, always good to be that way!
Chuck43, DaveinNC and PaulWVa like this.
Participant of the Southeast Asia War Games, 1971.
Markie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 04:32 PM   #7

Originally Posted by Insta-Gator View Post
I always assume people I know or meet are both gun nuts and drinkers of adult beverages. I am only surprised when I learn they are not. Sometimes that is a deal breaker.
I know that most of the people I hang with drink adult beverages, but I'm always looking if they're printing at all. Most of these people are just pub friends and I haven't a clue who is a gun nut or not.

One person that blew me away when I found out that he carried was my parent's church pastor. At my mother's funeral he came up to give me his condolences and when he went to hug me I felt his shoulder holstered gun on his side. I looked at him and told him that I was surprised but very happy and all he said was "As a shepherd I must always protect my flock".
Chuck43, Dude22, 2sharp2 and 7 others like this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 03:29 AM   #8

A few Sunday's ago I was sitting in church and my pastor needed to borrow a women's purse to make a point in his message. A lady behind me volunteered hers. From the pulpit the pastor opened it and said, makeup, keys, tissue
GLOCK
I turned to see who the woman was and discovered it was the Youth Ministers mother !
Chuck43, Dude22, 2sharp2 and 6 others like this.
Phonejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:20 PM   #9

When I was 10, we had just moved into a new house. One of our neighbors was a nerdy banker whose kids were nerds. Knowing that my father was a big hunter, Bill (the banker) asked me if I liked to hunt and if I liked guns. I figured he was feeling me out to see whether or not he wanted me around his kids. So, of course, I am like "heck ya, I love both". Bill tells me to come over after dinner cuz he wants to show me a couple of guns that he has. Stunned, as I would never have guessed this guy to ever know anything about guns, much less own a gun, I picked my jaw up off the floor and said sure.
That night I went over to Bill's house after dinner and he asked me to have a seat on the couch. He began to pull out his gun collection. He spent the next couple of hours bringing me out pistols and rifles. I was totally blown away! In total, he had over 300 guns and most all were high dollar collectibles. Most were engraved with gold inlays or high polish. My favorites were a pair of matching colt 1911s with pearl grips and amazing engravings of Buffalo Bill.
From that day forward, I have always learned not to judge a book by its cover. I still remember Bill the first time I met him and I laugh to think that his gun collection would literally blow people's minds. It's better than most gun museums.
Chuck43, Marshall, 2sharp2 and 6 others like this.
DaVinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 04:56 PM   #10

Originally Posted by Tejun View Post
Yesterday I got back to New Orleans Airport a little early for my flight back to Houston. Decided to pick up a magazine and found a Shooting Times magazine that had an article about 380s and the Kimber Micro Raptor. Brought it up to the Asian lady at the check out register. She looked down at the magazine and asked me if I like guns. Thought that was a loaded question, but chimed back "yes, I sure do". She smiled and said she just started shooting herself, but only a 22 caliber right now.... whaaaat ? totally surprised me. She asked about the gun on the cover (Micro Raptor) and I told her I was thinking of buying one. She asked what I liked about it, so I went over the features. She was very interested in the conversation. Would have stood around and talked with her (certainly had plenty of time), but the line to check out was getting longer and I'm sure the folks behind me were getting a bit pissed (especially if they were pressed for time).

You just never know.
All that AND a genuine ambassador to our sport/life style - good on ya' Tejun
Chuck43, Tejun and PaulWVa like this.
Slugnutty is offline   Reply With Quote