Off Roster? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree62Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2017, 11:46 AM   #1

Off Roster?

I just saw an ad for a Kimber solo that said “off Roster”. What does that mean?
Thanks.
speedydg13 likes this.
Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-17-2017, 11:56 AM   #2

One of our California members would be the best to explain this, but I believe the CA Dept of Justice has a roster of handguns that are approved for sale by FFLs.

Any handgun that is not on that roster cannot be sold by an FFL unless it is used, or on consignment. Therefore the only way to get an "off-roster" gun is to buy from a private party. Unfortunately, people selling "off-roster" guns usually demand a premium price.

http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

Last edited by Marshall; 12-17-2017 at 11:58 AM.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 12:08 PM   #3

Holy cow. Is that legal? Conforms with the Constitution? Has no one ever challenged this? I also just read a post that Cali is going to restrict ammo sales.
Seems to me that now would be a good time to challenge these laws possibly by a class action landing in the Supreme Court.
speedydg13 and PaulWVa like this.

Old 12-17-2017, 12:21 PM   #4

Angry

Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post
Holy cow. Is that legal? Conforms with the Constitution? Has no one ever challenged this? I also just read a post that Cali is going to restrict ammo sales.
Seems to me that now would be a good time to challenge these laws possibly by a class action landing in the Supreme Court.
Yes, starting the first of the year, ALL ammo purchases in the state have to be done face to face. Meaning no internet sales and buying out of state ammo and legally bringing it home.

And the lawsuits challenging the roster, "assault" weapons ban, and eventually, the ammo restrictions are or will be in the courts, but with the nature of the state courts, we will probably have to take it all the way up to SCOTUS for a hoped-for remedy to these infringements.
Marshall, Hoffbrew and PaulWVa like this.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:29 PM   #5

The Supreme Court has rejected a number of such appeals, content to let local jurisdictions set the limits.

The Supreme Court does public safety a favor by rejecting a California gun-law challenge - LA Times

NRA takes aim at California to reverse its strong gun control laws

NRA files lawsuit to overturn California's gun laws | The Sacramento Bee
speedydg13 likes this.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:29 PM   #6

In a nutshell, California passed a law a while back that said all new handguns sold in the state must have micro stamped firing pins (a technology which does not exist).
If a pre-ban firearm has been changed or modified or improved in anyway by the manufacture it becomes a "new gun" and therefore falls off the roster in its new configuration.
Hoffbrew, speedydg13 and PaulWVa like this.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:30 PM   #7

You’re exactly right speedy. I was referring to the SCOTUS as it seems that the next few years may be the best time for such cases.
speedydg13 likes this.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:34 PM   #8

I don’t think there has been a better time in the last decade than right now to again challenge these “laws”. It might even get a little better if Trump gets to appoint another Judge to the high court.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:45 PM   #9

You’re exactly right speedy. I was referring to the SCOTUS as it seems that the next few years may be the best time for such cases.
You would think so, but this happened since the current POTUS has been in office.

Justices Thomas, Gorsuch blast court decision to reject gun rights appeal | Fox News
speedydg13 and PaulWVa like this.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:52 PM   #10

Originally Posted by Cucamonga kid View Post
In a nutshell, California passed a law a while back that said all new handguns sold in the state must have micro stamped firing pins (a technology which does not exist).
If a pre-ban firearm has been changed or modified or improved in anyway by the manufacture it becomes a "new gun" and therefore falls off the roster in its new configuration.
As a result, we don't get any new semi-autos and the old ones are falling off the roster. Ruger, Springfield Armory, and others I can't recall off the top of my head refuse to submit new models to the state because of the non-existent micro-stamping tech requirement among other hoops they have to jump through. Soon all we will have are revolvers available to us here.
Hoffbrew and PaulWVa like this.