They call it Situational Awareness - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2017, 07:19 PM   #1

They call it Situational Awareness

I've noticed, since I started carrying daily, I pay attention to my surroundings so much more. This was driven home when I caught myself scanning the congregation at the Christmas Vigil Mass (those radical Catholics ). I do sign language interpreting so I am facing out. I'm far from paranoid or "super-tacticool". It was one of those moments of introspection. I concluded it's a good habit.

Any insights?
Chuck43, 2sharp2, Jflytle and 4 others like this.
Old 12-27-2017, 07:34 PM   #2

Everyone should be aware of their surroundings always! No excuses for becoming a statistic!
Chuck43, 2sharp2, bhunted and 3 others like this.

Semper Fi

Kimber Ultra CDP II .45 ACP
Kimber Stainless Micro 9mm
Old Timer 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:41 PM   #3

Know where the exits are at all times and think of your routes well in advance of events that may require you to need them. You will develop "tunnel vision" during stress events as well as revert to your training when stressed. Always train properly so you will be able to successfully respond to danger.

Also, ALWAYS watch where people's hands are. If they are in their pockets, they can pull a weapon and get you before you can react. That is why when confronted with this situation, a LEO will tell the person to turn around before having them remove their hands from their pockets. The LEO should also move as the subject turns so their position will be changed if a sudden movement to attack occurs and a lethal response is required. (This is not a situation you should be dealing with, as it involves enforcement and is not part of our self-protection concerns/responsibilities) But, it is important to be aware of hands as that is where the possible weapons threat will come from.

Old 12-27-2017, 11:18 PM   #4

It has always bothered me that the drill for an "active shooter" in schools is to shelter in place. It would seem that staying in a room would be far more dangerous than exiting through the back door and getting the children as far away from the building as possible. Unless there is a team of assassins waiting outside, escaping prior to the shooter entering the room would seem the safer course of action. Even though they tell us to turn out the lights and wait it out, I wonder (but pray I never find out) that if I actually heard shots if I would keep the kiddos in the room or get them out quickly. Just something I think about when they do the drills.
speedydg13 and Masquer08er like this.
Old 12-27-2017, 11:18 PM   #5

I have also learned to look for LEOs in the environment. Funny how I never paid attention to/noticed plain clothes officers in the past. Again, I think it is possible to be alert and aware without being suspicious.
speedydg13 likes this.
Old 12-27-2017, 11:25 PM   #6

Originally Posted by Elf1 View Post
It has always bothered me that the drill for an "active shooter" in schools is to shelter in place. It would seem that staying in a room would be far more dangerous than exiting through the back door and getting the children as far away from the building as possible. Unless there is a team of assassins waiting outside, escaping prior to the shooter entering the room would seem the safer course of action. Even though they tell us to turn out the lights and wait it out, I wonder (but pray I never find out) that if I actually heard shots if I would keep the kiddos in the room or get them out quickly. Just something I think about when they do the drills.
Public schools should have an armed officer and a security system in place.
speedydg13 and 427malibu like this.
Old 12-28-2017, 05:58 AM   #7

I do the same thing. As a younger man, we called this "condition yellow," after articles written by Jeff Cooper.

I always sit with my back to the wall and watch exits.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:28 AM   #8

Yep. Condition yellow is situational awareness.
speedydg13 likes this.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:19 AM   #9

Cooper's Colors

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
I do the same thing. As a younger man, we called this "condition yellow," after articles written by Jeff Cooper.

I always sit with my back to the wall and watch exits.
Found this for those unfamiliar (like me until now): https://www.policeone.com/police-tra...nal-awareness/

Seems this should be considered of equal importance to gun safety and training.
speedydg13 and DaveinNC like this.

Last edited by Masquer08er; 12-28-2017 at 09:38 AM.
Masquer08er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 03:56 PM   #10

Condition yellow every time I leave my house......
Jflytle and Masquer08er like this.
Jerry1834 is offline   Reply With Quote