Funny Thing At LGS! - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2015, 06:26 PM   #1

Funny Thing At LGS!

I was feeling bad about not buying from there store.
Well, not really funny more sad than funny. Went to pick up the pistols I bought from GunBroker at Shooter's Depot my (LGS). For the past year at least they have been having less and less Kimber's in the show case and they are a "Kimber Master Dealer." So after I did the paper work and paid the fee's I looked at there pistols in the case...NO Kimber's, none, I was a little surprised. The young guy that helped me asked what was I looking for. I said: you don't have any Kimbers? He said no and this guy my age that has worked there a long time (that I don't really like much) popped off and said: Ah Kimber only has a 1 year warranty! I said is that why you don't have any? No. He said well we don't get many people in here wanting to buy a $1,200.00 gun, most people are wanting a gun for $600.00 or less. I said I guess I am the exception to the rule. I said I think that is BS because a lot of people with 8 or 10 year old Kimbers on some the second owner have sent there pistols back to Kimber for repair and they have been repaired free of charge. Boss man's wife walks up said what's up? No Kimbers? Oh we gave up our being a Kimber Master Dealer, because of how they ship, they won't send some of each, they may send 10 Master Carry's and 10 Micro's and expect payment, we could not budget for that type of delivery system. I told her that was a shame because I would love to support her store but I can't if they don't stock what I want to buy. I told her a pistol and a rifle I wanted and she just shook her head and said you can probably get it cheaper on the internet? Sad!
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-27-2015, 06:29 PM   #2

Sharp, that's amazing in a real bad way!!! Makes me appreciate my LGS's even more! Are they the only Kimber dealer in you town?
Dons1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:30 PM   #3

They know what they're up against.
Marshall likes this.
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2015, 06:38 PM   #4

WOW, that's a bummer. I love to support my local mom and pop stores, but sometimes they're too small to stock all the products for the same prices that the internet gives you. With little to no overhead, the internet will destroy most if not all of the good ole boy stores. That will be a sad day in my book.
Super Carry Pro
Pro Raptor II
Custom Stainless II

More to come...........

JOHNNY
SynysterHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:41 PM   #5

I think Kimber prices are pretty competitive locally. once in a while you see great sales online though. I never see Kimber rifles locally.
Gmountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:47 PM   #6

Originally Posted by SynysterHD View Post
WOW, that's a bummer. I love to support my local mom and pop stores, but sometimes they're too small to stock all the products for the same prices that the internet gives you. With little to no overhead, the internet will destroy most if not all of the good ole boy stores. That will be a sad day in my book.
They must change the paradyme. Ask themselves, "What business are we in?" If the answer is, selling guns, they are lost. If the answer is "to support the shooting sports community by offering goods and services they require", then they have a chance to survive. There are great products available on the internet, but some things you have to get locally. Education, training, quality gunsmithing, etc., along with supplies. Guns should be secondary.
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:50 PM   #7

Originally Posted by Insta-Gator View Post
They must change the paradyme. Ask themselves, "What business are we in?" If the answer is, selling guns, they are lost. If the answer is "to support the shooting sports community by offering goods and services they require", then they have a chance to survive. There are great products available on the internet, but some things you have to get locally. Education, training, quality gunsmithing, etc., along with supplies. Guns should be secondary.
Agreed!

Not to mention, I'm a hands on guy. I like to actually hold and look at my potential purchase before I commit to spending my hard earned money.
RickOShay likes this.
Super Carry Pro
Pro Raptor II
Custom Stainless II

More to come...........

JOHNNY
SynysterHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:57 PM   #8

Originally Posted by Dons1911 View Post
Sharp, that's amazing in a real bad way!!! Makes me appreciate my LGS's even more! Are they the only Kimber dealer in you town?
Not the only Kimber dealer just the closest. Actually Sportsman Warehouse has/had more Kimbers in stock.

Originally Posted by Insta-Gator View Post
They are making a killing off the gun range, and I guess selling guns that cost less than $500.00. ??
They are not even doing a good job doing other stuff and selling goods and services. Store opens at 10:00am, I am sure people are there before that. I got a text at 10:50am from postal service that the Charter Arms had been delivered to them. Well at 2:50PM I finally called them to check on it...they said oh yeah it is here we were just getting ready to call you! Yeah right!
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:20 PM   #9

Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post
Actually Sportsman Warehouse has/had more Kimbers in stock.
Ah, Sportsman's Warehouse. Used to be one in Lewisville TX about 10 years ago. That's where I got my Stainless TLE II. I raided that place when they were going out of business. Bought reloading dies for calibers I didn't even have, and extra parts for my RCBS Progressive press. Right now, I'm looking at 3 RCBS Pro 2000 die plates still in the package that I'm about to open up and use. I missed that place when it left. Became a Gander Mountain many years later.

As for small stores and inventory, it is hard when you have to pay upfront. The best way to do it is with a floor plan. That's basically a line of credit to get the goods to stock your shelves with. You pay off the loan as you sell product. Of course, you have to stock items that sell in a reasonable amount of time. It requires that you operate based on cash flow, and not worry about on hand cash vs. debt. A lot of small businesses have a hard time doing that. If you can stock the shelves with items that move, you can make way more than paying as you go. It also allows you to keep a few high dollar items on hand that are less frequent sales, but make your day when you do.
LinckG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:26 PM   #10

Sharp my gun store said they will order the Kimbers months in advance and then they don't know the order that they will receive them in. They have never complained of getting 10 of 1 item. They have a lot of stock and a very good selection to choose from, they are able to make the Kimber program work. A lot of sales people will take the easy way out and sell the cheaper items instead of building the value of the products to their customers. When you take into consideration the quality of the kimbers , the enjoyment of owning and shooting them, the resale value they retain , how accurate they perform , people will see that kimbers are a much better value than the cheaper throw away guns. If the sales people where educated and would pass that information on to there customers they would be much more successful In selling a quality product, and could retain a larger customer base of people like yourself who appreciates a quality product. Some people know what they are looking for , most don't . If a lazy uneducated sales person dosnt know the difference between a SW mp shield or a Kimber pro carry II it's going to be hard for him to sell the Kimber to his customer. Ok I am done lol

Zoomybaby is offline   Reply With Quote