Holster Break-in - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By RustyIron

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2015, 10:27 AM   #1

Holster Break-in

I just got a new Galco holster for my Micro and wanted advice for breaking it in. I know it supposed to be firm to hold the gun but it's hard to remove from the holster. Any tips to speed the process along other than just drawing the gun?
tthrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-01-2015, 10:40 AM   #2

Put the gun in the holster and leave it, all the time. The leather will form to the gun over time. I do not recommend wetting or applying any other liquid to the leather to speed up the process. Eventually it will be a perfect fit.
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:40 AM   #3

If it is REALLY too tight hot air from an hair drier helps a little. Further step would be wrap the pistol in film before inserting it in the holster, and then the hot air.
What Galco model is it?

Old 03-01-2015, 10:48 AM   #4

It's the Stinger Belt Holster Model SG 608B.
tthrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 11:18 AM   #5

It is normal for a leather holster to be tight when it is new. How you treat it will depend on how tight is tight. If the gun is only a little snug in the holster, it will break in as you wear it. It might take a week or a month of wearing and drawing the gun to get the holster the way you really want it.

If the holster is too tight to be usable as it is, you'll need to block it. The conservative approach is to take a thick plastic ziplock bag, put the gun in the bag, and then stick the gun into the holster. Leave it that way for an hour to overnight.

If the holster is way too tight, you can block it using a sock. Anything from a thin dress sock to a casual sock will work. Don't use thick socks like you wear on your Himalayan mountain expeditions. Again, leave it like this for an hour to overnight.

Don't use oils, water or any other treatment on the leather.
Chuck43 and Jflytle like this.

Last edited by RustyIron; 03-01-2015 at 01:54 PM.
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 12:51 PM   #6

Pretty much what they said. I bought 2 Galco holsters recently, both were IWB. The N frame holster was fine. The 1911 was tight enough to get me killed if I had to draw from it. I leave a pistol in it all the time. It's still tight, but usable now. I'm still using my other holsters until it breaks in more though. I also discovered I need a thinner belt. Apparently Galco belts are thin like dress belts.
LinckG is offline   Reply With Quote