Kimber finally admits it - Solo shame - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2015, 04:26 PM   #1

Kimber finally admits it - Solo shame

This afternoon I had a lengthy discussion with Sergio, Kimber's customer service representative.

My Solo has been in twice for assorted reasons, but the lingering problem is that the gun will not reliably extract an unfired round. Racking the slide to extract a misfired round will result in a jam about 80% of the time.

Kimber's position is that the gun is not intended to extract a live round by racking the slide. Their position is that the magazine must be removed, then the unfired round removed, then the magazine re-inserted, and another round chambered.

In my opinion, a little striker fired pistol such as the Solo has a better chance of a light primer strike than a hammer fired pistol, so an unfired round is a distinct possibility. The ability to extract that unfired round is critical in a self defense situation.

Sergio told me that I could send the gun back into Kimber, but they don't test the gun by trying to eject an unspent round. They only test fire the gun, and if it fires and ejects, then they consider it acceptable. The ability to eject a live round is not a feature that was designed into the Solo.

Upon learning that the Kimber Solo was designed in a way that it could NEVER meet my self-defense criteria, I suggested that I send it back, and Kimber could offer me a credit on another of their products that WILL be suitable for self-defense purposes. That suggestion was declined. So now I'm stuck with a Solo that works perfectly according to the way Kimber designed it. Sadly, no one told me that the gun doesn't eject misfired rounds before I spent a lot of money on it.

Part of the reason I'm posting this is to vent, partly to warn others before they invest in a Solo, and partly as a longshot that a Kimber representative will read this and attempt to pacify an unhappy customer.
flyingDoberman likes this.
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-04-2015, 04:37 PM   #2

I am so glad I never invested my money on a Solo.It seems like for every satisfied owner there are three that have nothing but grief with thiers.Why can't Kimber get it together on this particular model?
2sharp2 and RustyIron like this.
MPO Southy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 04:47 PM   #3

Stop tea cupin your grip and limp wristing that should stop all the jamming.... LOL Just sayin..............
RustyIron likes this.

Old 03-04-2015, 05:09 PM   #4

Originally Posted by Guy Jefferson View Post
Stop tea cupin your grip and limp wristing that should stop all the jamming.... LOL Just sayin..............

Thanks, dude. Like Sergio the CS suggested, if I go to a shooting class I'll learn how to properly clear a misfire. Bwahahahaha!
Old 03-04-2015, 05:18 PM   #5

I would have used the opportunity to ask him about offering a Micro in 9x19.

If SIG can build one, then so should Kimber.
The Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 06:44 PM   #6

Wink Wow!!!

Rusty, you did a great job of venting!!! Do you feel a little bit better now? Can't say that I blame you for complaining. I would have asked for Sergio's supervisor and continued on from there!!

From forty years of handing customer issues at Southern Bell, BellSouth and AT&T, I can tell you for sure that it is the "squeaky wheel that gets the oil"!!! The bottom line is that removing an unfired cartridge from the chamber of a pistol IS part of the proper function of the design. Everyone expects their pistol to perform this function. It is part of the drill for clearing a misfire/jam. So, I'd call Kimber back, deal with someone other than Sergio and if handed the same line of horse excrement horse.gif, tell them that it is unacceptable and demand their supervisor. If that doesn't resolve the issue, go to the next level. If you hit the CEO without satisfaction, then it is a total wash and it's time to surrender.

You paid good money for a product and it is not incorrect to expect that the product should function in a manner that is universally accepted as standard function. If after all that, you still do not receive satisfaction. you still have the greatest means of showing your disdain for the poor response to your issue and that is by refusing to purchase their products ever again.

This is the first instance I have ever heard of a customer not receiving a satisfactory response and actions in association with a complaint. I think it was Sergio you had a problem with, not Kimber. My advice is to not give up now. Keep trying. SOMEONE WILL LISTEN!!!

Keep us updated. Sorry you have encountered such grief. It is NOT normal for Kimber!!!

Obama called me a CLINGER! Terrorists call me an INFIDEL!
Hillary calls me DEPLORABLE! Trump calls me an AMERICAN!!

Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP
Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP
NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member
Wounded Warrior Project Supporter
Lineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 07:21 PM   #7

Lineman, perhaps you are right. I will make another attempt tomorrow. Thank you for the sage guidance.
GoingSolo likes this.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:58 PM   #8

I too have spoken to Sergio in the past. I believe there are others that would be more receptive to your problem. Don't give up on the SOLO. Some how I just don't buy the customer service reps being involved in the design and knowledgeable of the intentions of the product development team.

I am also sure that the customer service reps do NOT have the authority to replace the weapon by their selves. As others have said GO to the TOP!
MPO Southy, Chuck43 and RustyIron like this.
Nellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 12:09 AM   #9

Wink Sic 'Em!!

Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
Lineman, perhaps you are right. I will make another attempt tomorrow. Thank you for the sage guidance.
Go get 'em Rusty!!!
Nice Doggie!!!.jpg
RustyIron likes this.

Obama called me a CLINGER! Terrorists call me an INFIDEL!
Hillary calls me DEPLORABLE! Trump calls me an AMERICAN!!

Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP
Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP
NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member
Wounded Warrior Project Supporter

Last edited by Lineman; 03-05-2015 at 12:14 AM.
Lineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:55 AM   #10

Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post

Kimber's position is that the gun is not intended to extract a live round by racking the slide. Their position is that the magazine must be removed, then the unfired round removed, then the magazine re-inserted, and another round chambered.
At the point of a misfire I would recommend just tossing the gun to the perpetrator because it would be easier to defend yourself as he would be exerting himself in an effort to shoot the solo.
RustyIron and GoingSolo like this.

Tags
solo failure service jam

Search tags for this page

kimber solo 2015

Click on a term to search for related topics.