How much training or experience before you started carrying.? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2015, 08:33 PM   #1

How much training or experience before you started carrying.?

We have lots of new Kimber owners and lots of people like myself that are new to shooting and carrying. There is so much more to carrying a gun than being able to hit a target in the center. Some of you are very experienced and can help us by giving us tips or sharing things you have learned, both good or bad. So how soon before you started carrying? Did you study the laws? Did you practice drawing your weapon? Did you start out carry in condition 1 ? Anything you can tell us that will help keep us safe would be great.

Zoomybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-18-2015, 09:18 PM   #2

Originally Posted by Zoomybaby View Post
We have lots of new Kimber owners and lots of people like myself that are new to shooting and carrying. There is so much more to carrying a gun than being able to hit a target in the center. Some of you are very experienced and can help us by giving us tips or sharing things you have learned, both good or bad. So how soon before you started carrying? Did you study the laws? Did you practice drawing your weapon? Did you start out carry in condition 1 ? Anything you can tell us that will help keep us safe would be great.
Since turning 21 many years ago, I did not always have a pistol on my person but would have one in my car or bass boat way before CC permit became popular and easier to obtain. First it was Dad's old S&W .38, then it was his Colt Agent, later I went to .44spl Bulldog for a while. Before long I switched to a Detonics .45 that was in the car and carried IWB concealed, then I got CC but still carried same .45 concealed most of the time. YES, it has always been condition 1, with extra magazines and speed loaders for revolvers. Practiced drawing an "EMPTY" weapon. Did the 3-gun matches for a long time, that was great practice. After getting my ass handed to me several times at the 3-gun shoots (by the lady manager of my local Food Lion grocery store) I learned fast is not always better, I was faster but she was more accurate. I finally figured out to slow down and take better shots accurately then I started beating her scores. That's all I can think of right now.
Chuck43 and Zoomybaby like this.
2sharp2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:33 PM   #3

Wink My Thoughts....

Well, I started off shooting handguns with a .22 LR single action revolver, at age 20. My wife had to buy me that gun because I wasn't old enough to buy it!!! I got it just because I thought that since I had always been good with a .22 rifle, it might be fun to try it with a handgun. I have been hooked ever since then.

I progressed up to .38 Special revolvers, then .357 Magnums, a .41 Magnum and on up to the big mack daddy .44 Magnum. I had a couple of .45 autos along the way: a military issue Government Model and a Colt's National Match gold Cup.

I started carrying at about age 27, just while hunting, fishing and traveling. Of course, I kept a loaded gun at home for protection. If working in a less than desirable neighborhood, I carried at work (without a permit). That was before the phone company passed down a policy that employees could not carry a firearm on company time, company property, in a company vehicle or at any time as a representative of the company. That policy was established around 1980 or '81.

From 1976 on, I shot a lot of handgun competition--NRA Bullseye, Police Combat, Metallic Silhouette, Bowling Pins and IDPA. Speed, accuracy and drawing from a holster became a very familiar habit. In 1991, when I moved to Georgia, I obtained my first carry permit. I carried revolvers at first; always Smith & Wessons. About 2000, I finally joined the modern world and changed over to semi-autos. I dabbled with Smith 9mm's (I learned that I hated DA/SA autos) and a .40S&W Daewoo, the issue sidearm of the South Korean military. Then I went to a .40 S&W Browning Hi-Power. Finally in 2005, I got back to the .45 Auto. I picked up my first Kimber, a Custom Stainless II. That was the most accurate pistol I have ever owned. Two years ago, I decided that I needed to go shorter and lighter and traded it off for the Pro Carry II that I now have. I also have 3 Smith and Wesson M&P's: a full size M&P 40, a M&P40 Shield and an M&P22. I like the M&P's!! (Yes!! BLAAH POLYMER!!)

My sage advice to folks new to concealed carry is to inform you that when you carry, you are not a tough guy, a smart ass or a hero!! You have to be mentally prepared to take more crap than you would ever take from another human being, BECAUSE YOU ARE CARRYING THAT GUN!!! If not armed, you just might choose to stick your fist in a drunken louts face, because he made a filthy remark to your wife. While carrying that gun, you can't, for fear that in the scuffle, your gun might show or it may drop on the floor. If that happens, you're going for the ride with "Barney" and you can kiss that gun and your permit good bye!! In short, you must learn to be cool, composed and silent. You need to be aware of what is going on around you, at all times and steer clear of unsavory places and activities.

The bottom line is: You need to be a more civilized you!! While being a more civilized persona , you must be physically and mentally ready and have a plan, if the need arises, to kill every person that you encounter. If you don't think that your head is ready to end the life of an attacker......leave the gun at home. All you will do is get yourself and/or family members hurt or killed.

In the the movie The Shootist, after being asked by Ron Howard how he had survived so may gunfights, John Wayne said, "Most men will hesitate at the last moment. They will blink or draw a breath. I won't!!!". That is how you survive a deadly encounter. Recognize the threat and react!!!

In sum, my advice to those new to concealed carry.....You must be Dr. Jekyll AND Mr. Hyde. Be mentally and physically prepared to be a HUMBLE, DISCIPLINED, CIVILIZED, KILLER!!!
the most interesting man....jpg
Good luck and stay armed, my friends!!

Obama called me a CLINGER! Terrorists call me an INFIDEL!
Hillary calls me DEPLORABLE! Trump calls me an AMERICAN!!

Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP
Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP
NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member
Wounded Warrior Project Supporter

Last edited by Lineman; 03-19-2015 at 06:48 PM.
Lineman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2015, 05:59 AM   #4
Super Moderator

"There is so much more to carrying a gun than being able to hit a target in the center."

I find in talking with people that many of them think they know the law when it comes to actually using their gun but are wrong. How many people that live in states that don't require training to get a CCL actually took the time to look up and lean the laws that govern the use of a firearm? How many people that legally carry today have ever taken a class or practiced gun retention?
Richard, Chickadee and Zoomybaby like this.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:03 AM   #5

I read the law. It has changed considerably in 40 years, to the gun owners favor.
But do not have any formal training. I've been carrying on and off since I was in my early 20s.
Chuck43 and Zoomybaby like this.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)

Last edited by Insta-Gator; 03-19-2015 at 07:24 PM.
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:19 AM   #6

I learned to shoot as a young girl - can't remember how young I was. My Dad was who taught me gun safety & how to shoot.

I took a long break from guns during high school & college - didn't have an interest in hunting, so didn't have as much opportunity to shoot with Dad & my brother.

My husband bought his first handgun about 5 years ago & then I bought my first handgun almost 3 years ago. We both took a couple of classes at our local range to freshen rusty skills.

I got my CCW 2 1/2 years ago & started carrying the day after it arrived in the mail, condition 1 with my trusty Sig P238. During the 2 1/2 months I had to wait for my permit I practiced holster draws with an unloaded pistol & read through the laws of our state. I also did a lot of thinking about how I would react in different situations & did some serious soul searching about my willingness to take a life to protect my own.
Chuck43, 2sharp2, Richard and 1 others like this.

Mario Andretti
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:25 AM   #7

I have been carrying for about 12 years. The state I lived in when I got my first permit didn't require any class so I didn't know the laws and didn't try to. I practiced carrying at home first and did spend a lot of time in other forums to get educated on things.

I then moved to a state that required a class and found it very valuable. I have since gotten more educated on different state laws since I moved again and needed to take yet another class that was even longer.

I do think training is very valuable and think taking a class is a good idea. I learned some things.
Richard and Zoomybaby like this.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:25 AM   #8

Outstanding post Mr. Lineman, wise words to live by. Everyone would be well served to practice your sage advise.
2sharp2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:39 AM   #9

I started with guns when I was about 14 or 15 I'm 60 now, learned from a neighbor I would go hunting with. I have taken many advanced carry classes as well as combat training and shooting classes over the years, a friend was a co-founder of one of the first combat shooting clubs in Michigan some 40 years ago. I don't really know How long I have legally been carrying.
Zoomybaby likes this.
canonshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:57 AM   #10

Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post
Outstanding post Mr. Lineman, wise words to live by. Everyone would be well served to practice your sage advise.
I agree with this Dude lol Thank you Lineman

Zoomybaby is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

how much experience before ccw

Click on a term to search for related topics.