Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By Mike240
  • 6 Post By Mike240
  • 2 Post By Mike240
  • 1 Post By Chuck43

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2018, 11:01 AM   #1

New marks on slide....brass?

This thread is not intended to be a Kimber bashing thread, I will delete it if that happens. I love my little Ultra and am looking for some help.
This morning I went to clean my Ultra after Tuesday’s range day and discovered that the slide at the ejection port was all scratched up. This never happened during the first 400 rounds but thinking back to Tuesday I remembered that a lot of brass was ejected on top of my head which also has never happened before. I talked to another Foum member who said he thought it was caused by the extractor and I agree but I don’t understand why as I have never messed with it. Any ideas on what could have happened or have any of you experienced this?
Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 43EDFDB9-8988-465E-B1C0-04624DA45BB3.jpeg (76.0 KB, 15 views)
Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-08-2018, 11:19 AM   #2

Recoil spring is weak. Slide coming back too fast and case striking ejector hard. I also like small radius firing pin stops on smaller 1911s to slow the slide.
RustyIron likes this.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:40 AM   #3

Thanks Mike. Some info: I had so many stovepipes during first 200 rounds I sent it back to Kimber here’s what they did, The barrel was refinished, the chamber was reamed and polished, following complementary services were performed: the firing pin, grip safety and recoil spring was replaced. Since then I’ve only put 300 rounds on the new springs, should they weaken so soon?
I’m going to order a new recoil kit from Kimber today and look into what a small radius firing pin stop is.

Old 03-08-2018, 12:44 PM   #4

I'm not sure I agree with the recoil spring being weak, my micro 9 had the same marks on the ejector port after the first 100 founds, I would lean more to the exracter being out of adjustment.

AMERICA WE HAVE A PROBLEM
wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 01:46 PM   #5

user23378_pic1521_1520252845.jpeg

Found this in the micro 9 forum
sawguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 05:36 PM   #6

The extractor's jobs are this...

To aid in feeding. The 1911 is a controlled feed weapon. The cartridge in always under control and contact with two and times three points of contact. If too tight the case stubs during the feeding the process or locks the gun up Often misunderstood as failures to feed but once the case has left the control of the magazine feed lips and projectile started into the chamber, the problems is chambering, not feeding.

An extractor with too much tension or not enough gap between breech face and inner hook/claw surface will prevent smoothness or cause a stoppage.

The second job of the extractor is to remove the spent case (or sometimes loaded cartridge in the case of an administrative unloading process) from the chamber with sufficient pressure to keep the base of the case flat against the breech face until, due to the slide rearward movement, the ejector can flip or tip it out. The extractor is the pivot point or fulcrum and the ejector the "sledge hammer so to speak".

The harder the impact against the ejector, the more force exerted in the case and the further it will flip around the control of the extractor's hook/claw. Over rotation will cause it to strike the slide. On unrelieved ejection ports (like the original 1911and A1s) it would cause an dented case.

The slide needs to be slowed down in these cases. The recoil spring weight/rate does not match well with the power factor of ammo. ON the small versions....lighter slide faster speed, more violent ejection due to less mass. Springs weaken faster. A small radius FPS can slow the unlocking process and inertia of the slide.

I wrote a thread on a SIS Ultra that was about to be sold off by the owner for issues but I corrected them. The small radius stop being one of the solutions.

Elongated ejectors can add to the problem for a strong foundational shooter....but were added to commander and officers length guns because of weak shooters complaining of stoppages. The long ejector starts the ejection process sooner. Because this you will often see brass transfer inside of the slide in front of the ejection port as the case is being tilted sooner and rubbing inside the slide waiting for the ejection port of the slide get enough rearward to get kicked out.
Chuck43, 2sharp2, Wingnut and 3 others like this.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:06 PM   #7

these may help...

https://www.kimbertalk.com/forums/gun...long-post.html

https://www.kimbertalk.com/forums/gun...ve-action.html
Chuck43 and Silverbullet like this.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:56 PM   #8

Sorry for the double post Chuck. Not sure how I did that.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:01 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Mike240 View Post
Sorry for the double post Chuck. Not sure how I did that.
Not a problem Mike, it was good enough to be posted twice.
Wingnut likes this.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:52 AM   #10

Thanks Mike, thanks everyone. I’m going to break it down later today looking for brass transfer or anything else that might be out of wack. I’ve ordered a new recoil spring kit. Might give Kimber a call and get their thoughts. It just seems so odd that this just started out of the blue.