Custom Shop Clarification - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2015, 01:16 PM   #1

Custom Shop Clarification

Hey everyone, hopefully I can get some advise from you guys. I'm about to purchase my first Kimber either Super Carry Ultra+ or the Ultra HD! Leaning toward the HD but worried about the weight since I'm used to carrying 19 oz guns. But anyways, I don't really understand the Custom Shop guns, I know they are the same guns but are they done by hand? Do I need to find one that is a Custom Shop? Are they more expensive? Need some advise from you guys! Thanks!!
Zoomybaby likes this.
Msummerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-20-2015, 01:25 PM   #2
Banned

Originally Posted by Msummerf View Post
Hey everyone, hopefully I can get some advise from you guys. I'm about to purchase my first Kimber either Super Carry Ultra+ or the Ultra HD! Leaning toward the HD but worried about the weight since I'm used to carrying 19 oz guns. But anyways, I don't really understand the Custom Shop guns, I know they are the same guns but are they done by hand? Do I need to find one that is a Custom Shop? Are they more expensive? Need some advise from you guys! Thanks!!
How custom depends on the money spent. The sky's the limit on cost and what you get shrinks rapidly, i.e diminishing returns. 100% more cost gets you 10% more gun. Even more, even less.

It's rich man's toy. I wish I was rich.

BTW, on some sites, you say such a thing you get banned. I know this first hand.
Dude22 and Zoomybaby like this.
montanaResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:32 PM   #3

Originally Posted by montanaResident View Post
How custom depends on the money spent. The sky's the limit on cost and what you get shrinks rapidly, i.e diminishing returns. 100% more cost gets you 10% more gun. Even more, even less.

It's rich man's toy. I wish I was rich.

BTW, on some sites, you say such a thing you get banned. I know this first hand.
I agree with your statement 100% That is true with most anything you have customized. He maybe questioning just the Kimber Custom Shop. I have wondered the same thing. Are the Kimber Custom Shop guns built different than the others? I am sure someone here will know. If that's not what hes asking I would still like to know myself. lol

Zoomybaby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2015, 01:41 PM   #4

My EDC is a Super Carry Ultra HD. The weight does not bother me at all. A good holster and belt is the key to carry comfort. I love it.

Certain models in the Kimber family are tagged Custom Shop and will say so on the slide. What they do extra, I'm not totally sure, other than the carry melt of the corners it's hard to tell. I believe, but could be wrong, they take some extra time to ensure the fit and function. My Super Carry and Raptor both have Custom Shop on the left side of the slide. They have been flawless.
Zoomybaby likes this.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:46 PM   #5

Yes zoomybaby I was just meaning the guns that had the custom shop on the side of the slide not any actual custom work. I looked all over the web and couldn't fine what the difference is. Just wondering if I needed to search for one with the custom shop on the side or if the ones without the words work just as good. Thanks for the replies!
Msummerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 02:02 PM   #6

My Custom Pro CDP II is surprisingly precise. It is much more precise than my SA XD-45. I'll bet they are made to tighter tolerances.

Insta-Gator and Zoomybaby like this.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:13 PM   #7

More talk on the matter here

Custom Shop, Straight Talk from Customer Service - 1911Forum
Old 04-20-2015, 02:14 PM   #8

Originally Posted by Richard View Post
My Custom Pro CDP II is surprisingly precise. It is much more precise than my SA XD-45. I'll bet they are made to tighter tolerances.
Whatever they do, mine function perfectly and are fun to shoot. Wish my skill was up to their quality.
Zoomybaby likes this.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 03:47 PM   #9

The only one guaranteed with an accuracy spec is the Super Match. With that said, I just got back from the range. We did a drill on a USPSA target. 5 rounds at 10 yards support hand only. [email protected] yards strong hand only, [email protected] yards both hands and [email protected] yards both hands. 10 seconds at each position except the 25. You get 15 seconds there. All shots to the head (A/B). My Team Match 9mm was 25 for 25 with my mass produced home reloads.

Accurate enough. And that pistol is in the neighborhood of 14k rounds.

Last edited by Mike240; 04-20-2015 at 03:53 PM.
Mike240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:57 PM   #10

I have a Super carry Ultra + and a Custom Crimson II. Custom Shops do not have the same internal safety as the Custom Crimson II. I love my SCUP.
Nellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
custom shop, super carry ultra hd