• 2 Post By RustyIron
  • 3 Post By 2sharp2
  • 2 Post By DaveinNC
  • 2 Post By georgecowley
  • 3 Post By JC45
  • 2 Post By georgecowley

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2018, 04:05 AM   #1

Looking to fine tune shooting technique w/ new Kimber .45!

Hey All-
Picked up my TLE II today and took it to the range-I'm getting fairly consistent 2-3" groups with both my 9mm's and the new .45 Kimber..But, my tendency is to shoot left a little ....
I would ALSO like to see if anyone can recommend a GOOD INSTRUCTOR IN THE LOS ANGELES AREA...
-Harder to find than I anticipated-!

I have done a couple of those combat type courses, but I don't want that anymore for now-I am interested in marksmanship....

I tend to shoot in Burbank or Huntington and if any members shoot there-who are advanced level then I would also be delighted to get together to talk Kimbers, .45's and shooting technique..
I've been shooting only for 3 months, and like the idea of getting better-but right now I am feeling I have hit a ceiling and my technique needs improvement..!
Here's 7 shots at 21-22 feet from my FIRST ever outing with the new TLE II ....I'm thinking my support hand grip might be at fault...Anyway, LOVE the new pistol either way!

Cheers all!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4555-3.jpg (82.7 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by georgecowley; 03-29-2018 at 03:07 PM.
georgecowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-29-2018, 05:29 AM   #2
Super Moderator

The two major causes of shooting to the left are squeezing the support hand while firing and incorrect trigger finger placement.

The first area to look at is your support hand. The left hand is the support hand for right handed shooters, and the right hand is the support hand for left handed shooters. You should always maintain a firm grip with your support hand without adding excessive pressure while firing the pistol. Squeezing your support hand too tight when firing the pistol makes the barrel shift slightly to the left.

The second area is your trigger finger placement. Remember to go back to the basics, only use the pad of your finger to press the trigger straight back. If the pad of your finger extends too far over the trigger then your finger acts like a hook causing you to pull the trigger to the right sliding the barrel to the left. When firing the pistol, be sure to always use only the pad of your finger to gently press the trigger.
Old 03-29-2018, 06:35 AM   #3

Hey, George. I don't know any instructors, but just wanted to welcome you from Behind the Orange Curtain.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2018, 07:48 AM   #4

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
The two major causes of shooting to the left are squeezing the support hand while firing and incorrect trigger finger placement.

The first area to look at is your support hand. The left hand is the support hand for right handed shooters, and the right hand is the support hand for left handed shooters. You should always maintain a firm grip with your support hand without adding excessive pressure while firing the pistol. Squeezing your support hand too tight when firing the pistol makes the barrel shift slightly to the left.

The second area is your trigger finger placement. Remember to go back to the basics, only use the pad of your finger to press the trigger straight back. If the pad of your finger extends too far over the trigger then your finger acts like a hook causing you to pull the trigger to the right sliding the barrel to the left. When firing the pistol, be sure to always use only the pad of your finger to gently press the trigger.
Or Bring your target and pistol to a good gunsmith and have him tweak the rear site.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:33 AM   #5

Chuck is the man and on point as usual. Here is a Trigger Chart to help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Trigger Chart.jpeg (103.7 KB, 18 views)
Chuck43, Mapconn and georgecowley like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:52 AM   #6

Welcome from NC.
Chuck43 and georgecowley like this.
Old 03-29-2018, 03:03 PM   #7

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post

Yes indeed- This is what I am thinking-to further add to the recipe-I am a semi ambidextrous Lefty-I play guitar "right handed", write w/ my left hand, but have alway shot rifles and pistols with my right..
Also I'm slightly left eye dominant...
Something else I notice ( and like a lot) is how little travel and how "definite" the 1911 trigger pull is...SO different to my Beretta's and Glock and even Browning HP...
Am I allowed to mention ownership of Beretta's here? (I jest of course!)
Chuck43 and 2sharp2 like this.
Old 03-29-2018, 04:59 PM   #8

Originally Posted by DaveinNC View Post
Welcome from NC.
Thanks! My Kimber is becoming a favorite after only one trip to the range...
Old 03-29-2018, 06:03 PM   #9

Originally Posted by georgecowley View Post
Yes indeed- This is what I am thinking-to further add to the recipe-I am a semi ambidextrous Lefty-I play guitar "right handed", write w/ my left hand, but have alway shot rifles and pistols with my right..
Also I'm slightly left eye dominant...
Something else I notice ( and like a lot) is how little travel and how "definite" the 1911 trigger pull is...SO different to my Beretta's and Glock and even Browning HP...
Am I allowed to mention ownership of Beretta's here? (I jest of course!)
We talk about all kinds of guns around here. I think you would have a hard time finding someone who only owns a Kimber on this forum.
Chuck43, 2sharp2 and georgecowley like this.
JC45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:17 PM   #10

Originally Posted by JC45 View Post
We talk about all kinds of guns around here. I think you would have a hard time finding someone who only owns a Kimber on this forum.
Well I would certainly hope so! I'm new to pistol shooting but...So far...Glock, 2 X Beretta's, a Browning Hi Power (love this especially) and now the .45 TLE II....
Now..of course, I want at least one revolver...Thinking something 70's.....
Chuck43 and JC45 like this.