Kimbers....Enough is Enough - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree120Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2015, 04:29 PM   #1

Kimbers....Enough is Enough

I have something to say about Kimber's. I own a Kimber Crimson Custom II, a Super Carry Ultra Plus and a Kimber Solo. Purchased in that order within the last three years. I have and still like all of them. However I have had, trouble with all of them when they were new. All had the same problems, they all failed to return to battery and failure to feed. ALL OF THEM.

The Custom Crimson II cost me a lot of money buying ammunition and running through it until it work satisfactory which it now does. When the Super Carry Ultra Plus acted up I decided to take it to a gunsmith and explained the problem. After two trips to the gunsmith a new slide stop, adjustment of the extractor and throating and polishing the barrel it too now works fine. The Solo worked fine initially but developed FTF issues. I sent it back to Kimber and they, polished the chamber, adjusted the extractor and changed springs. It runs like a fine Swiss watch now and is my EDC.

All three of these Kimber's had like issues, but it is the Solo that is constantly bashed by members of this forum and by some who have never owned one or fired one. I have no problem with owners of problematic models reporting issues and remedies but ENOUGH is ENOUGH. If you don't have first hand experience you are doing an injustice to the pistols and forum members.

I selected three different repair remedies to resolve problems and make my three Kimbers workable and reliable. One repair cost me about $300.00 in break in ammunition, one cost about $60.00 paid to a gunsmith and the other one the Solo, was free, I sent it back to Kimber.

My point is if you develop a problem, I suggest you send it back to Kimber until you are satisfied. My other point is, it is not just the Solo that has issues. Flame away!!!!!!!

Last edited by Nellybelle; 05-03-2015 at 04:47 PM.
Remove Ads
Old 05-03-2015, 04:46 PM   #2

Originally Posted by Nellybelle View Post
I have something to say about Kimber's. I own a Kimber Crimson Custom II, A Super Carry Ultra Plus and a Kimber Solo. Purchased in that order. I have and still like all of them. However I had, had trouble with all of them when they we new. All had the same problem, they all failed to return to battery and failure to feed. ALL OF THEM.

The Custom Crimson II cost me a lot of money buying ammunition and running through it until it work satisfactory which it now does. When the Super Carry Ultra Plus acted up I decided to take it to a gunsmith and explained the problem. After two trips to the gunsmith a new slide stop, adjustment of the extractor and throating and polishing the barrel it too now works fine. The Solo worked fine initially but developed FTF issues. I sent it back to Kimber and they, polished the chamber, adjusted the extractor and changed springs. It runs like a fine Swiss watch and is my EDC.

All three of these Kimber's had like issues, but it is the Solo that is constantly bashed by members of this forum and by some who have never owned one or fired one. I have no problem with owners of problematic models reporting issues and remedies but ENOUGH is ENOUGH.

I selected three different repair remedies to resolve problems and make my three Kimbers workable and reliable. One repair cost me about $300.00 in break in ammunition, one cost about $60.00 paid to a gunsmith and the other one the Solo, was free, I sent it back to Kimber.

My point is if you develop a problem, I suggest you send it back to Kimber until you are satisfied. My other point is, it is not just the Solo that has issues. Flame away!!!!!!!

No flames from me. I have only one Kimber, a Custom Pro CDP II. I had the same problems as you, and they were, initially, extreme, with a 20% failure rate. It has been returned to Kimber twice, and has been worked on by three different local gunsmiths. It is finally to the point where the failure rate is less than 1%, and I am satisfied. It has been, however, an expensive gun to own. The first time it was returned to Kimber, it was on my dime, and shipping was almost $100. I have purchased both Wolff springs, and Wilson Combat Flat Wire springs, in addition to replacing the original Kimber magazines.

Nellybelle and Chuck43 like this.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:49 PM   #3

Nellybelle, how did you like your Yugo? When Ford Pintos were catching fire, did you buy one?

I look at this the other way. It's not just the hardware issue, it's the fact that Yonkers cannot get a reliable fix and seems reluctant to provide a Version 2.0 for loyal clients.
Oreste likes this.

Old 05-03-2015, 04:50 PM   #4

I appreciate and understand your feelings. Glad you hung in there long enough to get it working properly.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:54 PM   #5

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
Nellybelle, how did you like your Yugo? When Ford Pintos were catching fire, did you buy one?

I look at this the other way. It's not just the hardware issue, it's the fact that Yonkers cannot get a reliable fix and seems reluctant to provide a Version 2.0 for loyal clients.
Tourist, you are one of the Nay Sayers that I'm talking about. Have you owned a Solo? I think not. I also believe you are a post counter who like to hear yourself talk. I mean no ill will towards you but for one, I am tired of your uninformed bias comments.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:59 PM   #6

And that is why I avoid threads about guns I don't own, i.e. Solo, Micro.

I have no first hand experience upon which to base any comment, so I don't.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Old 05-03-2015, 06:18 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Maybe I've just been lucky, I have 5 Kimbers, 2 I bought new and 3 used. I had a minor problem with my Ultra CDP but it was something I was able to fix myself. Other then that I've never had to use the services of either a gunsmith or Kimbers repair center for any of them. I've also had to make minor adjustments on one of my 3 Sigs.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:26 PM   #8

I guess the gun gods have smiled down on me as I've never had any serious problems that I could not fix myself with either my Kimber or my Sigs.Knock on wood.
Nellybelle, Chuck43 and Marshall like this.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:27 PM   #9

No , I don't think you're lucky. I think that may be close to the norm for KIMBER. I don't think they are all bad at all. Just minor issues here and there not a wholesale indictment on Kimbers quality and design . I would and will buy other Kimbers. Just tired of some beating an issue over and over with out first hand knowledge. Rant over. Thanks Chuck for your post.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:35 PM   #10

When I bought my first PC2 {9mm} I expected the worse if I were to believe the naysayers...It's closing in on nearly 6K flawless rounds..

My PC2 {45}-{4K rounds} has the same results and loving my two Kimbers...

Bought the Solo and had some of the same issues that other members have had...Sent it off to the Mother Ship in Yonkers and put 700 flawless rounds through it after the fix and the new owner has another 1K rounds through it without a hiccup....

Today I had 2 failure to feed in my new Ultra Raptor and you know what?? No problem since I know the routine..Break it in and break the mags in and you will have a friend for life or as long as you decide to keep it..

JMO
Nellybelle, MPO Southy and Chuck43 like this.

Last edited by Marshall; 05-03-2015 at 07:03 PM.
Closed Thread

Search tags for this page

kimber ultra problems

Click on a term to search for related topics.