Full Size 1911 For EDC? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2018, 07:53 AM   #1

Full Size 1911 For EDC?

I just applied for my CCW license here in Wisconsin and the application went through, so I should have my license within the week or so. With that being said who here carries a full size 1911 everyday and what are your thoughts? I currently own a Desert Warrior TFS but I've been pondering the thought of a more concealable gun.
sethj is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-09-2018, 07:58 AM   #2

. 39 ounces empty. That is a lot of gun to pack every day. I can only do it with a shoulder holster. I have a Light weight officers ACP which is much better at 24 ounces.

Then it goes down to. 15.6 for the Kimber Micro 9, or Smith and Wesson 5 shot airweight 38.

Next is Sig P238

Then the LCP I think is 12 oz.

David
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:10 AM   #3

I'll wager that most here have indeed carried a full size 1911 at one time or another. I'll also wager that most have now gone to either a Commander length or even Officer's size/length purely because of weight and bulk.

My EDC's now are either one of my Kimber Ultra's in .45 or 9mm, or for light summer carry, it's my Micro 9.

I'd ponder either a Pro/Commander size gun, or the Ultra would give you what you're after, as you'll end up with one or the other eventually, why not avoid the inevitable and just get a gun you'll carry instead of leaving it in the safe at home because of the weight and bulk?

Full size/5" 1911's are great fighting pistols as we all know, but carrying one all day concealed can be a real chore. We have options!
bigdog10, PaulWVa, Karens and 2 others like this.
Rick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2018, 08:13 AM   #4

depends on body shape..skinny guys can get away with a lot.
PaulWVa and sethj like this.
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:17 AM   #5

Depends also on your usual dress; do you usually wear a jacket? A good shoulder holster may be a good option for you. Shorts & t-shirt? Maybe not so much.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:33 AM   #6

Originally Posted by Shootinit View Post
depends on body shape..skinny guys can get away with a lot.
Well I'm 5'8" and weigh in at a whopping 140 lbs. I'm a string bean so I might try a shoulder holster for the desert warrior for a bit but I've had my eye on a few other guns. I'd love to get an Ultra or a Micro 9 but I can't justify it atm considering I spent $1400+ on the desert warrior that I got 3 weeks ago. So for the moment I've been looking at a more cost effective alternative since I also want to get a can for my Desert Warrior.
PaulWVa likes this.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:33 AM   #7

I don’t carry my 5” 1911s. My Ultra and Pro are my carry guns. If you can open carry in Wisconsin then it can be an option. I think it’s a tough gun to conceal and probably very uncomfortable in an IWB holster and it will hang real low in an OWB holster.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:42 AM   #8

Originally Posted by JC45 View Post
I donít carry my 5Ē 1911s. My Ultra and Pro are my carry guns. If you can open carry in Wisconsin then it can be an option. I think itís a tough gun to conceal and probably very uncomfortable in an IWB holster and it will hang real low in an OWB holster.
We are allowed to open carry here so that can be an option. I'm just usually not one who likes to attract attention and that would be a good way of doing it haha. I've actually seen people here open carry AR's from time to time.
JC45 and PaulWVa like this.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:47 AM   #9

Originally Posted by sethj View Post
We are allowed to open carry here so that can be an option. I'm just usually not one who likes to attract attention and that would be a good way of doing it haha. I've actually seen people here open carry AR's from time to time.
We can open carry here too but I choose not to either. The good part about being able to open carry is if you gun does become exposed your not breaking any laws.
Hoffbrew, swca, PaulWVa and 1 others like this.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:54 AM   #10

Originally Posted by JC45 View Post
We can open carry here too but I choose not to either. The good part about being able to open carry is if you gun does become exposed your not breaking any laws.
That is a very good point to be made. I didn't consider that.