Day at the Range was an eye opener for me! - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2018, 05:30 PM   #1

Day at the Range was an eye opener for me!

First of all this is the first time I have been to a gun range since I was fitted for my prosthesis on my left leg. First thing I realized was I want a Range bag on wheels. Carrying one by hand straps was uncomfortable no matter which side I had my range bag on. The next thing I discovered was standing and shooting my left leg got tired and uncomfortable pretty quickly. Tells me I have to work on wearing my prosthesis more so as to build my strenght and stamina. For the past year I have probably only had it on fifty percent of the time that I could. Must continually increase wearing time.

Now onto the actual Range report itself you know the part about guns and bullits and stuff. I brought my Raptor and my Ultra also my stainless Pro carry along with my 10 mm Eclipse. The Raptor and eclipse both had a little trouble returning to full battery had to tap both of their slides a few time. My reasoning for the failure was two fold one both of those are only about a third of the way broken in the second reason, I was shooting some reloads that I did not load myself. When I bought one of my dillon 550's and a lot reloading supplies and other equipment from a widow included were several hundred rounds of .45 acp and 38 special. Today I shot a mixture of round nose and LSWC in my 3 45s. The Eclipse I shot my own reloads.
There were a few failures to return to battery also. There was kind of a odd problem I noticed while shooting it. The slide slowed down perceptively it would complete its cycle but It was actually much slower than normal. I will know morewhen I strip it for cleanig I think the lubrication received a heavy load of dust created by a worn out gun rug the dust was created by the padding breaking down from age I guess. The outside looks good not torn up but it is going in the trash. I did not realize it had broken dow. Anyway I hope I am right about the gunk slowing down my slide. I stopped shooting the 10 mm when I noticed the slide continueing to be way to slow moving. Just for the numberts all the 45 ammo was 230 grain and the 10 mm was 180 grain. My target was at 7 yards. My shooting was not as good as I would like considering it had been well over a year since the last time I went shooting I can live with it. It was great to get out and do some shooting even with the minor hiccups and my weary left side The new Howard leight earmuffs performed well the fit was good even wearing glasses. I would like to add the Stainless Pro My only Kimber that I bought second hand performed flawless. I did put the WC recoil spring kit in it after I bought it.

20180412_134050.jpg

20180412_144603[245].jpg
Chuck43, Dude22, bigdog10 and 11 others like this.

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm

Last edited by swca; 04-12-2018 at 05:33 PM.
swca is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-12-2018, 05:51 PM   #2

Glad you got back to the range Tom. I need a trip there myself. For not shooting for a year you did good.
Chuck43 and PaulWVa like this.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 05:54 PM   #3

Good report Tom. TYVM. Good looking weapons.
Chuck43 and PaulWVa like this.

Old 04-12-2018, 06:14 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by swca View Post
First thing I realized was I want a Range bag on wheels. Carrying one by hand straps was uncomfortable no matter which side I had my range bag on.
Nice report Tom, I can highly recommend the G.P.S. Rolling Range Bag. I've had mine for well over a year now and wouldn't dream of ever going back to carrying a bag again. I've carried as many as 6 handguns and 40+ magazines in it with no trouble. I didn't buy mine from Midway just used their link for the pictures.
swca, JC45, Mini Me and 1 others like this.

Chuck43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:28 PM   #5

Great report and nice shooting for it being a while, all things get better with time.
Chuck43, swca and PaulWVa like this.
Old 04-12-2018, 06:36 PM   #6

Other than the problems you mentioned, your shooting skills do not seemed to have suffered from the length of time since you've been to the range. Nice shootin !!!!
Chuck43 likes this.
Micro 380 Stainless
Micro 9 Stainless
Solo CDP
Tejun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 07:21 PM   #7

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
Nice report Tom, I can highly recommend the G.P.S. Rolling Range Bag. I've had mine for well over a year now and wouldn't dream of ever going back to carrying a bag again. I've carried as many as 6 handguns and 40+ magazines in it with no trouble. I didn't buy mine from Midway just used their link for the pictures.
Just found one on amazon for 110.00 - a credit I had with them made it 28.00 bucks. Happy Birthday to me!
Thanks for the info Chuck. I guess it is best we dont live close together. With my purple earmuffs and my range being like yours it could cause some gossip.
Chuck43, Elf1, wayne and 1 others like this.

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
Old 04-12-2018, 07:28 PM   #8

Hey, Tom.
Glad you got to go out and have a good time. That's what it's all about: having a good time.

Regarding the reloads: Throw 'em in the trash. Sell 'em to the Spring Valley MS13. But don't shoot them. You don't know what that old dead guy was smokin' when he reloaded them. Did he dump in a double charge of powder? Did he set up the sizing die incorrectly, causing them to fail to fully chamber? Oh, snap!

About your Slow Slide Syndrome--maybe that's ammo related, as well. Back in the early 2000's, I bought a bunch of surplus military .45 ACP, dated 1956. It shot fine at the time. Over the ensuing years, I stopped liking my .45's as much. It wasn't anything I could put my finger on, but eventually the problem became more and more obvious.

At first it just seemed like the .45's were more clunky than my other guns. That's ok, I kind of like the CLANK CLANK of a Garand or a Carbine. But then it seemed like the slide-time was freakishly long, as you describe. Sometimes I would miss, as if my flinch was worse then it really is. Eventually I had a couple hang fires, maybe a tenth of a second, enough that I realized that the flinchiness wasn't just my imagination. And then there were a few times that I could feel a marked decrease in recoil.

By then it was evident that the problem was only with the military ammo, and it was a combination of poor ignition/burning of the old powder. After switching to more modern ammo, the 1911 sweetness returned.

Even as a kid I was weird, and I've always written the date on every box of ammo that went into the closet. Nowadays, I try to shoot the oldest first, so my carry gun will never end up with a magazine full of stale ammo.
swca likes this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 07:39 PM   #9

I must admit I was hesitant to shoots these when I first bought them.But I have run through most of them now. The Raptor was the only one with the slow slide today. I ran the same ammo in the other two 45's no slow slides. I will hopefully know more after tear down and cleaning and inspecting. Will let you know what I find.
RustyIron likes this.

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
Old 04-12-2018, 07:55 PM   #10

Glad to see you found you a good range cart. After going to local shooting match for USPSA I knew I was going to need some help too. This is a huge gun club spread over many acres. And with seven courses of fire it's going to be a lot of walking over gravel roads.

I needed to find a way to haul my gear, a small cooler and a small folding chair so I could get off my feet for awhile. (bad knees).

I went in search of something to haul my stuff. I found this online and thought it would do the trick. To my amazement it turned out that my local Walmart had them in stock for $55.00. It's called The Ozark Mountain Folding Trail Wagon. It has extra pockets, big tires and folds up to a pretty compact, easy to store size. It looks to be tough and well made. So if anybody else is looking for something to get your gear around check it out.
Ice-and-Snow, Tejun, swca and 3 others like this.

Last edited by PaulWVa; 04-21-2018 at 08:43 AM.
PaulWVa is offline   Reply With Quote