The reloading bench - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2018, 05:28 PM   #1

The reloading bench

In another post I stated how filthy I found my Eclipse 10mm was when I returned from the Gun Range. Also that I had experienced a slow moving slide while shooting. The culprit may be unburnt powder. I have been doing some reading on the powder I use for my 10mm (#9 Accurate) Seems it is a good powder for 10mm if you want to run max loads. When you load down for target practice. In my case I was trying to replicate 1150 fps per second. A lot of 180 grain 10mm is loaded that way from the factory. It leaves a lot of unburnt powder. That is what I found in my Eclipse a lot of rich black gunk created by the unburnt powderh mixing with any lubricants I was using made a sludge of sorts and slowed down the slide. Now I do not want to take the last 30 handloads I have left and use them because it was a pain to clean. So the next range visit will be with some Factory stuff I have to make sure everything is running fine. I will tear down the thirty reloads I have left and reload them with another powder. Power pistol and Tite grroup are two I am considering If anyone has another suggestion I am listening.
One other factoid I found puzzling to me was when I tore down my pistol for cleaning and inspection the inside of the barrel was very clean. Thus I deduced that was because I was shooting FMJ bullets.What do you all think am I on the right track? I have been reloading for only a couple three years so there is a ton of learning still ahead for me!

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
swca is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-14-2018, 05:35 PM   #2

Short barrels should like faster burning powder.
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote