Kimber Solo - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2013, 09:26 AM   #1

Kimber Solo

I have 2 Kimbers now, an Ultra II and Pro Carry II. Love both as shooters but prefer to carry a Kahr P40 IWB for weight and comfort. Looking for anyone with personal experience with a Solo as far as function and reliability. I have read pros and cons but really like the feel of the little nine.

Thanks
trlhrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-04-2013, 12:08 PM   #2

I love the look and feel of the Solo. I have fired about 400 rounds, and still have a few FTF's on ocasion. Because of that it has not become my daily carry!
sbubrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:18 PM   #3

With the suggested ammunition mine goes bang every time.
I like my SCUP better but the Solo carries very easy.
Josey Wales likes this.
Nellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2013, 09:28 PM   #4

The last 200+ have been Speer Gold Dot 124 GR. GDHP. A little spendy, and it still has not gone through a box (50) with out a problem!
Old 08-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #5

Crimson trace CDP
It is my daily carry.
Love this little pistol.
1 FTE in 1500+ rounds with me shooting it and going again tomorrow to add some more to that number.
Right now it is the gun I shoot most because of all I've read about FTE-FTF.
I figure a few hundred more rounds and it has my total trust.
Oreste likes this.
Cheef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:54 PM   #6

I'm looking to pick one up as well. My opinion, and based on what I've read, the majority of the issues arise from people who have not used the ammo spec'd by Kimber.

Having a tough time finding one up here in Washington State, is that similar across the US?
wsucougs8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:07 AM   #7

Unhappy Kimber Solo

I have 2 Kimbers now a Solo and an Eclipse. Both are tack drivers and both require a breaking in period. Both now have Night Sights and Crimson Trace Lasers because I can now longer see like I could 50 years ago but I still love to shoot. While the .45 started smoothing out at around 350-400 rounds my Solo went south and I had to send it back to the factory because no matter which of my 6 Kimber magazines I used or which of Kimber's recommended bullet loads I used, I was getting a lot of FTEs and FTFs...not cool. I would be shooting one box of 124 grain Golden Sabers or Federal Premium 147 grain Hydrasocks loading up the same mag and they would shoot great and then all of a sudden every round would jam or fail to feed properly. Very dangerous on a range. the little gun does not lend itself to clearing problems easily with it's heavy recoil spring.

I purchased the gun new last month and while my dealer would not take it back he did offer to send it back to Kimber for me. I have used this dealer for almost 30 years and both he and his master gunsmith are trustworthy and reliable. They both said they will no longer carry the Solos because of the problems their customers are and have experienced. They said they were considering banning them from their range because of the liability risks. involved with clearing so many jams.
REDLEG28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:26 AM   #8

Not happy to see your having problems, but glad that i'm not alone with mine. I get FTE's 7 to 10% of the time. I have fired about 700 rounds through it. Mine went back to Kimber, they fired 3 magazines (18 rounds) returned the gun with a note that said they could not find a problem.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:59 PM   #9

Unhappy Not So Much.....!

I love the looks of the Solo, but due to it's poor performance record, so far, I believe I will stick with my Smith and Wesson M&P40 Shield as my EDC pistol!! I may give it a try once Kimber works the kinks out of this fine looking little pistol.

Obama called me a CLINGER! Terrorists call me an INFIDEL!
Hillary calls me DEPLORABLE! Trump calls me an AMERICAN!!

Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP
Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP
NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member
Wounded Warrior Project Supporter
Lineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:07 PM   #10

Purchased one several months ago, just sent back to factory for repair. Ammo jams, using ammo prescribed, out of 25 rounds the slide lock engaged on 23. Eject button is very tight, I was told to break it in more. A gun for that price should be reliable out of the box. based on what I have read, Kimber needs to learn some about customer satisfaction.

Last edited by dpak; 03-05-2014 at 02:11 PM.
dpak is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page
2014 kimber solo or sig 9mm
kimber issues 2014
kimber solo 2013
kimber solo forums
kimber solo grip problems 2014

kimber solo problems 2014

kimber solo reloading
reloading for the kimber solo
Click on a term to search for related topics.