Kimber model advise - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2018, 11:11 AM   #1

Kimber model advise

Hi everyone.

I'm a new member to forum looking for some advise on which Kimber to get.

My wife has a Kimber MICRO CDP (LG), which is a very sweet handgun. I'm ready to move from Glock 42 to a Kimber.

I'm interested in 9mm and have largely narrowed it down to the MICRO 9 CDP (LG) and the Master Carry Pro. But I'm open to suggestions to other compact or Micro models with laser grips.

The idea of the longer barrel with the Master Carry Pro it tempting, but being no sharp shooter by any stretch, don't know how much it would help my shooting. The small size of the Micro is very appealing if the longer barrel length of the Master Carry does not add much benefit to an average shooter.

Looking forward to your guidance. Really happy to be in the group.

Grandpoppy
GrandpoppyJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-20-2018, 11:20 AM   #2

Personally I went with the Micro 9 SS with rosewood LG. For me it came down to do I want to carry this or have it sit in my safe? I already have a sub com xd .40 that I rarely carry due to it being somewhat bulky even in the alien gear holster. Some folks are comfortable carrying a fuller frame gun with no issues. For me I liked the small print of the M9.
GrandpoppyJack likes this.
andymizunogolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:31 PM   #3

GrandPoppyJack, welcome to the site from Tennessee.

No wrong answer but depends on it's main purpose. Master Carry Pro and Micro9 can both be concealed, Micro9 being a little easier. If I could only buy one and had to pick between the two, it would be hands down Master Carry Pro, I have one in .45.
I have fired a Micro9 a good bit but don't own one, mostly because I picked up a used Stainless Ultra Carry in 9mm for 600 bucks and it does everything a Micro9 can do and may be a little more accurate. But at real world self defense distance all three models will serve you well.
If my wife owned a Micro9 I would probably want something different just for the heck of it.
Have you considered a Ultra model in 9mm?
A lot of the popular Kimber Models in .45acp are now also offered in 9mm so you have quite a few to chose from.
Happy Shopping!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SS Ultra Carry 9mm.jpg (3.17 MB, 6 views)
Chuck43, swca, JC45 and 4 others like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2018, 01:43 PM   #4

I have the micro 9 cdp lg, love it. You can't go wrong with either flavor you choose. On that thought the sig p365 is also a awesome gun. Sorry I'm a kimber guy but shy away every now and then.
427malibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 02:52 PM   #5

thanks for the advise so far andymizunogolfer, 2sharp2 and 427malibu. Definitely sounds like I can't go wrong either way.

The closest gun shop with a big selection is Larry's in Huntsville. Maybe they will have both the Micro CDP (LG) and Master Carry Pro in inventory so I can see how they feel.

2sharp2 according to the Kimber catalog the barrel length on the micro 9 is 3.15" vs 3.0" on the ultra 9mm models. So probably I would pick a micro 9 between those models. Since my wife's is a Micro CDP (LG) in .380 and mine will be 9mm it's probably best to have something that looks obviously different to avoid confusion. LOL

Again, thanks everyone for the advise so far. It's much appreciated.
GrandpoppyJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 04:10 PM   #6

The Master Carry Pro will be quite a bit larger than the Micro 9. Here’s a picture of my Pro Carry II and micro 9 for comparison. Of course the Master Carry has the round heel as opposed to the standard frame.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1524262142278.jpg (1.27 MB, 10 views)
46QJI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:06 PM   #7

Originally Posted by 46QJI View Post
The Master Carry Pro will be quite a bit larger than the Micro 9. Here’s a picture of my Pro Carry II and micro 9 for comparison. Of course the Master Carry has the round heel as opposed to the standard frame.
And any model Ultra in .45 or 9mm will fit perfectly between the Master Carry Pro and Micro9.
I think I have a pic of a Sapphire Pro and a Sapphire Ultra both 9mm and now available in .45acp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sapphire Pro and Ultra.jpg (2.96 MB, 10 views)

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 12:56 AM   #8
EKG

That Micro 9 stainless with crimson trace for around $600 is hard to beat if that size and type gun is what you’re looking for. The trigger pull (7#) and height on it and the 380 Micro is the same with an increased sight radius and only 2.2oz heavier. If you like the way the Micro feels then you should like the Micro 9 as well.

I was looking at the $600 Micro 9 myself but after handling it, I felt it was just a bit too small for me. I have a Pro and Ultra and like both, but I think that the Ultra is my favorite for carry – the grip is short enough to conceal easily and just long enough to get my pinky on the grip.

So, if you wished the Micro's grip was just a little bit longer, then the Ultra might be what you’re looking for. The length and height of the Ultra is right at .75” greater than the Micro 9. The barrels are close enough in length that there wouldn’t be enough difference in ballistics to make any noticeable difference in accuracy. However the sight radius is right at .5” greater on the Ultra, which could help a little with aim/accuracy. Plus the trigger pull is only 4-5# and I’d venture to say you would probably like it better than the Micro 9.

Anyway, hopefully you'll be able to get your hands on a Micro 9, Ultra, and Pro to see which one you like the best.
2sharp2 and GrandpoppyJack like this.
Colt Nickel Government 380, Integrated LaserMax
S&W Stainless 4" Combat 357 Magnum 66-2

Last edited by EKG; 04-21-2018 at 01:01 AM.
EKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 01:07 AM   #9

Welcome to the forum Grandpoppy Jack, Cannot comment on the Micro hard to get in California. I have a couple pro models in .45 really like them a lot. I vote the master carry pro because of the looks They both are very nice Kimbers besides it probably won't matter what you choose the way it seems work around here is the addiction takes hold if has not already and you buy more Kimbers.

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
swca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 02:17 AM   #10

I agree with 2sharp2, there is no wrong answer but if my wife already had Micro I’d want to add another flavor. If your looking a range gun/home defense gun get the Master Carry Pro, if you plan on using this as a carry gun go with the Micro 9, if you want something that will fill both needs go with an Ultra 9.
Chuck43, 2sharp2, Jflytle and 1 others like this.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
master carry pro, micro 9