Blasphemy ? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2015, 06:19 PM   #1

Blasphemy ?

Hello To All;
I am just curious, but from my standpoint, my Ultra+CDP.45 is superior in just about every way to my Glock 20, mostly in accuracy.
But I am a tireless reader and I have found several messages, on several websites that "Bash' Kimbers in general. These people are advocates of more costly "Custom" pistols. Specifically, Les Baer; Wilson, and Ed Brown. But while claiming these makes are "superior" to Kimber, I have not seen much specific data, any for that matter. If it is a matter of accuracy, they must be talking greater than 50 feet, which is the maximum at my range. What else could matter?
Bill
Nellybelle, MPO Southy and Chuck43 like this.
wildbillbugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-17-2015, 06:44 PM   #2

It's all "Look at my $3000 pistol!" Every Kimber out of the factory is more accurate than 100 percent of shooters are capable of shooting. I'll put my Kimber Ultra up against any custom rig out there, remember it's the shooter not the gun.
Albert.Cairns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:09 PM   #3

Whether it's a BB gun or a BMW, those who have one will always say theirs is better..

Do I want one of the higher end brands that you mentioned?? Well yes I would, but my Kimbers have given me everything that I asked for and more..

The day that I could afford one of the higher priced guns....

I would probably buy two Kimbers instead and have enough $$$ left over to buy some FM ammo....

TETO

#luvmykimber
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2015, 09:09 PM   #4

Wildbill, you need to read some more. Most Kimber bashes are not custom or semi-custom 1911 owners, it is Kimber's direct competitors owners that are by far the most vocal.
I have found owners of Colts to be by far the worst. Many seem to have a genuine hate bordering on stalker mentality when it comes to Kimber.
In the late 90's to early 2000's, Kimber started selling more guns then Colt. Every gun rag had articles about Kimber and Colt's quality control and product line went from bad to worse. Today Colt is much better, new products, better guns. But they were too late Kimber passed them and left them in the dust. Long time Colt owners never miss an oppertunity to bash the company that stole their title as the number one seller of 1911 pistols.

By the way I use to be one of those Colt owners, but instead of getting pissed at Kimber. I decided, hell if you can't beat em, join em. That's just what I did, sold the Colts and bought Kimbers.

Last edited by Tankgunner; 05-17-2015 at 09:13 PM.
Tankgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 03:06 PM   #5

Hi,
I did not include Colt in my list of Kimber Bashes because no one seems to be claiming that Colt is Vastly Superior to Kimber. Some people do claim vast superiority of the 3 brands that I mentioned. But they do not specify what is superior accept that they cost more and take longer to make. Bill
Old 05-18-2015, 03:26 PM   #6

My experience with Kimber is relatively recent, only few months. As it happens with most stuff nowadays, before buying my first one I read a lot of reviews. I am happy I decided to give it a try regardless of some of the bad ones. Four 1911's and one micro and not a single issue, just very reliable, well machined, very precise handguns. So far it has been a five star experience.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:40 PM   #7

Originally Posted by wildbillbugman View Post
advocates of more costly "Custom" pistols...What else could matter?
First off, we have to define what features we are paying to have improved. Let me explain.

I had Terry Tussey customize me a single stacker for IPSC shooting. While he improved the lock-up of the bushing and lugs, it was his reliability package I needed. I think you could count my cloverleaves on one hand. But I never, ever, ever had a stoppage.

When I wanted to go prairie dog shooting, I had a former sheriff sniper help me set up a heavy barreled Ruger 77 in 22-250. He taught me bout Leupold scopes, parabolic drop and how to craft the cartridges I needed.

Both "custom," two differing firearms.

A few years back I saw an article by a magazine writer who sent out a Norinco .45 ACP pistol for customization. He wrote that it performed as well as many other customs.

So here's my take. Did the pistol you secured make you happy? If it did, then it was the perfect example.

DGM1962 likes this.
The Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:23 PM   #8

Tourist,
Good response. But what can one do with a dead prairie dog? I have never even seen a live one! Are they similar to chipmunks? Do they sing?
Everyone,
I still have not learned what the people who refereed to the "customs" as superior meant.
I guess that I will just have to join there forums and ask them!
Remember- I have only lived in N.Y.C. and CA.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:51 PM   #9

A production 1911(Kimber, Springfield Armory, Colt, Dan Wesson, etc)are generally built on a assembly line, parts are pulled from a parts bin with zero to minor hand fitting done. Parts used are generally more economical, costs have to stay down in order to meet a low price point. Different guns cost more or less depending on the amount and type of parts bin parts used. The gun is usually tested with less three to five rounds before shipped.
Semi-Custom guns use only the best parts, hand fitted by a team of gunsmiths.every part and function on the gun will be tested extensively to insure near perfect operation( no such thing as perfect)Ed Brown test fires each gun they build with 87 rounds of different type ammo, before they ship it out. You can order the gun with the exact options you want.
Custom guns are usually you sending your gun to a gunsmith, who installs and tunes the gun exactly as you want it, from mild to wild. Whatever you can afford.
Now some of the production guns will also do custom work on your gun, but these are not the ones you see in your local gun store.
There is a difference, the customs and Semi's are smoother, more accurate and more durable. But you will not really notice any of this(besides how smooth the gun functions and cycles) standing at a static line and plinking at a target 15 meters away.
It's like buying a finely handcrafted piece of furniture or a Walmart table. You can eat your dinner on both of them, the difference is one was built with care and attention to detail, using the finest wood the builder could hand pick. The other was slapped together by an assemble worker, who may or may not give a crap using whatever material the company supplied to him.
Richard, DGM1962 and Maineiac64 like this.

Last edited by Tankgunner; 05-19-2015 at 05:18 AM.
Tankgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 03:27 AM   #10

One of my pet peeves on "custom" anything is that trends seem to drive most of the modifications. If the "cool kids" in the gun magazines have such changes on their pistols, then everyone runs out and gets the same thing. The knife industry went stagnant for over a decade due to this silly "tactical" craze.

If a mechanical device is going to be "custom," then it should include a mechanical enhancement that makes your life better. I just purchased a set of chrome Progressive 444 shocks for my new Sportster because the dampening units are superior and the bike won't wiggle or yaw when stuffed into a tight corner.

I did that because that feature is important to me.

As for pistols, I prefer the grip safety style with the "bump." I cannot feel the protrusion tactilely, and it makes sure the grip is fully compressed.

Sure, your stuff will look differently from the garden variety stuff, but if you enjoy the hobby more it's a better investment.
Richard likes this.
The Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote