Like Tree13Likes
  • 9 Post By Tejun
  • 1 Post By cousinmark
  • 1 Post By Marshall
  • 2 Post By Chuck43

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2018, 05:54 PM   #1

Range Trip Today

After working till after midnight last night on a proposal for a potential new client that was due this afternoon, only to get a notification as I was leaving to deliver that they had extended the deadline another 5 days, I needed to go for some stress relief. Went by the TH and grabbed the range bag and picked out four firearms to shoot along with magazines (I've been known to forget them sometimes) and ammo. Today I brought my recently acquired Colt Gov Model 380, S&W 380ez, Kimber Ultra Raptor 9mm and Wilson Combat ULCC 9mm.

When I had got the little Colt home, I found the extractor had a significant amount of play (forward and aft) and, not surprisingly, was having some extraction issues with snap caps. Found a company that had an impressive inventory of parts for this discontinued model and ended up changing the firing pin stop, extractor and firing pin spring. Did some polishing on feed ramp and chamber and put some walnut grips from Altamont on it also while I was at it. Today, it ran flawless with nary a hiccup. Love it !! Being the grip junky that I am, I've been eying up some Sambar Stag grips for this little pony to make it a good candidate for a BBQ gun.

I had only put about 50 rounds through the 380ez so today I put another 75 rounds and it ran flawlessly also. I got this in hopes of Ms Tejun warming up to it. They advertize the ease of racking the slide and it is extremely easy. Very low recoil. Almost like shooting 22 magnum rounds in my S&W 22. Definitely a good candidate for young'ns just starting out or someone that is losing grip strength and wants something easy on the wrists to shoot.

I changed the original grips on the Wilson Combat ULCC to some WC Ultra Thin grips and wow, what a difference. This gun is a dream to shoot and is accurate. I've put just over 200 rounds and not a single issue.

I decided to try the WC grips I took off the ULCC on my Ultra Raptor. They look great, but I was really surprised how big the overall grip felt in comparison to the Ultra Thin grips. I may be buying another set of those for the Raptor. Definitely a little bit of snappyness in comparison to the ULCC (3" vs 4" barrels) but I love the Raptor. I thank AZGuy for breaking it in good, then selling it to me everytime I take it out to shoot.

Got the much needed stress relief after about 200 rounds so I'm headed home to relax a bit now. Pics of targets so Marshall won't give me any grief
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 050918 Range Trip 1.jpg (97.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 050918 Range Trip 2.jpg (85.8 KB, 6 views)
Chuck43, Marshall, 2sharp2 and 6 others like this.
Micro 380 Stainless
Micro 9 Stainless
Solo CDP
Tejun is online now   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-09-2018, 08:15 PM   #2

Great shooting Tejun. Sounds like you deserved a break, glad to hear everything ran well. I've always thought that the Colt Government .380 hit a sweet spot size wise. I almost bought one back in the '90 when I lived in New Orleans. Hindsight being 20/20...
If you decide to part with it keep me in mind :-)
Tejun likes this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:27 PM   #3

Originally Posted by cousinmark View Post
Great shooting Tejun. Sounds like you deserved a break, glad to hear everything ran well. I've always thought that the Colt Government .380 hit a sweet spot size wise. I almost bought one back in the '90 when I lived in New Orleans. Hindsight being 20/20...
If you decide to part with it keep me in mind :-)
Wow, I was living in New Orleans in the early 90s too. Thatís where I met Ms Tejun but she was living in Pittsburgh then. I agree, size wise the Colt Gov 380 is a perfect little pistol. Plenty of grip. I picked up a stainless model last year then came across this blued model a couple months ago. Itís in primo condition. If I ever get a hankering to sell it, you will get first crack at it.
Micro 380 Stainless
Micro 9 Stainless
Solo CDP
Tejun is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2018, 08:35 PM   #4

Great looking quartet of shooters that you took to stress therapy and some good shooting Tejun.
Tejun likes this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:36 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Nice shooting Tejun, glad to hear you got your Colt squared away.
2sharp2 and Tejun like this.

Chuck43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:28 PM   #6

Nice shooting.