Old Guys! New Old Guy Needs Advise! - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2015, 12:41 PM   #1

Angry Old Guys! New Old Guy Needs Advise!

Hello Everybody (Especially Guys over 50)
I have made no secret of the fact that I am 67 and started target practice less than 2 years ago. My question is: Dose anyone wear bifocals and shoot? I have been wearing "lineless" bifocals for several years and that has worked for me in general.
At the range I place my focus on the front sight, as I have read to be the correct way to focus for people with 20/20 vision.. That means that I must keep my head at an odd and uncomfortable position.
I am thinking that, maybe, I should ditch the bifocals and have a pair of glasses for "close" and another for distance.
Has anyone had this problem? How about lasic surgery? I am told that that dose not work well for people "long in the tooth"
Thanks,
Bill
wildbillbugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-21-2015, 12:51 PM   #2

I use progressives, like you. You eye doc can adjust the lenses for you- just tell him what you need them for.
Richard likes this.
Gmountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 01:04 PM   #3

Originally Posted by wildbillbugman View Post
Hello Everybody (Especially Guys over 50)
I have made no secret of the fact that I am 67 and started target practice less than 2 years ago. My question is: Dose anyone wear bifocals and shoot? I have been wearing "lineless" bifocals for several years and that has worked for me in general.
At the range I place my focus on the front sight, as I have read to be the correct way to focus for people with 20/20 vision.. That means that I must keep my head at an odd and uncomfortable position.
I am thinking that, maybe, I should ditch the bifocals and have a pair of glasses for "close" and another for distance.
Has anyone had this problem? How about lasic surgery? I am told that that dose not work well for people "long in the tooth"
Thanks,
Bill

My bifocals have a line. I never notice it anymore. The glasses work great for shooting. When I focus on the front sight, it is not through the "reading" portion of the lens, so I do not have to hold my head at an angle. They work fine for me. I considered getting a pair of glasses especially for shooting, but decided against it.

Old 06-21-2015, 01:35 PM   #4

I am near sighted. Wear progressive bi-focals. finding the weird angle that contorts a normal head position is a pain in the petuti. Next time i go to the Ophthalmologists I am gonna ask for a special prescription to have the focus point land where the front sight normally falls.
MonoLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 03:29 PM   #5

Given up on getting best sight pictures

I'm 61. I wear progressives glasses. I have to tilt my head around to get two out of three in focus. I've switched all my target pistols to Red Dots using Burris FastFire III. I even have it on carry guns. Finding holsters wasn't easy but I'm making progress. The Red Dots make it easy to have dot and target in focus.
davesmyrnaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 03:40 PM   #6

Haven't tried them yet but a friend has tri-focals. He says the middle lens is set perfectly for the sights. A little lower then normal sight straight out and higher than for reading. Seems to work for him. I will probably ask about them my next checkup.

Sent from my Classic using Tapatalk
Albert.Cairns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 04:20 PM   #7

Thanks everybody ! I am gonna see my optometrist about trifocals. I looked at the web sights advertising Burris Fast Fire III. It is not clear (to me) which model I should buy. We are talking Kimber Ultra; Combat II & Kimber Match II. The Burris sights are a bit pricey to get 3, one for each gun. If I had to choose one for a specific gun, it would be for the Combat II
I have never seen one of these, or a laser sight, in use at the range I go too. But I do not mind being the "Range Geek'"
Old 06-21-2015, 04:39 PM   #8
Super Moderator

I've been wearing bifocals for 20+ years, before you invest money in a special pair of glasses try picking up a cheap pair of reading glasses from Walmart or a local drugstore. They come in various powers 1.00, 1.25, 1.50, 1.75 thru 6.0.
MPO Southy and Oreste like this.
Old 06-21-2015, 05:19 PM   #9

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
I've been wearing bifocals for 20+ years, before you invest money in a special pair of glasses try picking up a cheap pair of reading glasses from Walmart or a local drugstore. They come in various powers 1.00, 1.25, 1.50, 1.75 thru 6.0.
That's what I do.They're just cheap azz reading glasses from Walmart and it works for me.
Chuck43 and krunchnik like this.
MPO Southy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 06:54 PM   #10

Chuck43!
Are you frequently told that you are some kinda genius? I tried it with a pair of cheap reading glasses that my Bro left here about 2 years ago. I can actually focus on the front sight and see the target! I don't know what the power is. I will go to CVS(I hate Walmart). I am in CA, so I can't see myself taking my pistol into CVS and aiming at something. So, I will have to use something else other tan a gun to find out what the best power for this application is for me.
Bill
Chuck43 likes this.