Triggers - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2015, 09:04 PM   #1

Triggers

I have been curious about this for awhile. How come all modern pistols have that weird shape instead of that single,curved , vertical single piece of metal in the older guns?
Bill
wildbillbugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-21-2015, 10:11 PM   #2

Also, why are most triggers hollow?
Old 06-21-2015, 10:29 PM   #3

Are you talking plastic now a day triggers that have a safety built into
them, that may be cupped in back due to the injection dies they
use to make it with?

Or are you talking about all metal triggers usually found on finer
autos or most revolvers that do not have the a safety built in. ?

Colt .45 Commander
Glock 19 Gen4
Glock 43
Kimber Crimson Ultra Carry ll .45acp
Kimber Solo Carry 9mm traded good riddens!
Sig P229 .40 / .357sig +.22 conversion
Springfield Armory XD 9mm
S & W M&P Shield 9mm
Walther PPK/s .380acp (S&W)
Ruger Blackhawk .357 / 9mm, SS, single action(WOW)
1939 Polish VIS "Radom" 9mm (historical WW2)
Scout10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2015, 01:50 AM   #4

Wink Trigger Talk!!

Bill, the odd shape of, as you call them, MODERN TRIGGERS, is due to a safety device built into the trigger. The lower, hinged section must be pulled to the rear and held back while the upper actual trigger is pulled or the trigger mechanism will not release the safety and allow the release of the sear. The likelihood of someone dropping a pistol and having something move the lower section back and hold it there and then move the upper section back to discharge the pistol is almost astronomical. If you think about it, it is a rather ingenious passive safety device!! I believe we can thank Gaston Glock for that little piece of workmanship. It rates right up there with Bill Ruger's creation of the revolver transfer bar safety system. Two very intelligent gentlemen!!! Interestingly, both men choose not to enforce the patent rights on their creations and freely allowing the use of them by other firearm manufacturers, all in the name of safety!!

As for the hollow/skeletonized triggers found on various pistols, that is simply a weight saving procedure. Same goes for skeletonized hammers!!! The removed metal of such a trigger and hammer combo could add up to almost an ounce in weight savings. In addition, it looks cool as hell!!! Can you give me a HELL YEAH!!!
Richard and Luther like this.

Obama called me a CLINGER! Terrorists call me an INFIDEL!
Hillary calls me DEPLORABLE! Trump calls me an AMERICAN!!

Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP
Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP
NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member
Wounded Warrior Project Supporter
Lineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:43 AM   #5

Thanks guys,
Now I understand. From a strict viewpoint of aesthetics, this trigger system is inferior to the older triggers. The newer triggers look "strange"..
Bill
Old 06-22-2015, 12:39 PM   #6

Originally Posted by wildbillbugman View Post
Thanks guys,
Now I understand. From a strict viewpoint of aesthetics, this trigger system is inferior to the older triggers. The newer triggers look "strange"..
Bill

That's an interesting perspective, wildbill. Most gun owners would probably think that the newer triggers look better.

Are you referring to the triggers on revolvers, or on semi-automatic pistols? They are different kinds of handguns, so it shouldn't be surprising that they have different kinds of triggers. Look at a picture of the original John Browning design of the Colt Government Model 1911. The trigger does not look like the triggers of revolvers, but except for the lightening holes, looks like modern pistol triggers.

A pistol has only one chamber, and it is integrated with the barrel. A revolver has multiple chambers, and they rotate to align with the single barrel. Radically different designs.

Old 06-22-2015, 04:09 PM   #7

Sights and Lights

For a guy who did not participate for months, I have too many questions. How did I get designated as a "senior member" anyway?
I have been thinking a lot off what will happen should I have a home brake in during the night. I think that I should probably have one of those lights on the barrel Not laser sights, but a flashlight mounted on the gun. Are there any recommendations, I have a Ultra CDP, but will soon be getting a Gold Combat.
My theory is that, even having a chamber loaded gun, with only the thumb safety between me and firing, If I cannot see the intruders, the gun would be useless.
Before I caught "the bug" my only reason for buying a gun was home protection. And self protection.
bill
Old 06-22-2015, 04:37 PM   #8
Super Moderator

You reached senior member status with your 100th post.

I personally don't like gun mounted flashlights, first if you are encountering an armed person you're giving them a target to shoot at. Second in order to identify someone you have to point a loaded gun at them.
Marshall and Richard like this.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:57 PM   #9

Originally Posted by wildbillbugman View Post
For a guy who did not participate for months, I have too many questions. How did I get designated as a "senior member" anyway?
I have been thinking a lot off what will happen should I have a home brake in during the night. I think that I should probably have one of those lights on the barrel Not laser sights, but a flashlight mounted on the gun. Are there any recommendations, I have a Ultra CDP, but will soon be getting a Gold Combat.
My theory is that, even having a chamber loaded gun, with only the thumb safety between me and firing, If I cannot see the intruders, the gun would be useless.
Before I caught "the bug" my only reason for buying a gun was home protection. And self protection.
bill
Well tactical light mounted on your pistol or held in your off hand is a big ass can of worms that has as many ideas as people have belly buttons. Big discussion on here before. You will need a pistol with a rail, probably make for the easiest mounting. Streamlight makes a good one but some are not cheap the newer models anyway.
At a gun show several months ago I bought a display model Streamlight TLR-1 for $35.00 (looked like new) works great and really bright. If you use it a lot you had better buy spare batteries in bulk from Ebay cause they run down pretty fast if it is used for long periods of time.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:08 PM   #10

O.K. You have convinced me- No barrel mounted lights. It just happens that my hearing is "beyond normal" even for a guy half my age. I would probably be woken by sound. And I can let the sound be my firing cue.