Dominant Eye, Confused! - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2018, 07:29 AM   #1

Dominant Eye, Confused!

I am a fairly new (lady) shooter (micro 380). I am just confused about eye dominance and what is best for my situation. I have no doubt I am right eye dominant because I had cataract surgery last year (before learning to shoot) and the surgeon inserted a lense in my right eye for distance and one for medium distance (computer?) and was advised to get cheap cheaters for reading. I now test to have 20/20 vision at the optometrist.
But this type vision does not work well at the gun range. My eyes want to fight each other. I must use both eyes open but that doesnít help. So far I have tried dry firing at home with my cheaters and see the front sight very well. But of course when I try to look around I get dizzy so those cheaters arnt going to work at the range. I am going to order some of those stick on near sighted thingies, trim them to go at top of my safety glasses.
So my question, if I am ďcorrectingĒ my dominant right eye to see close up rather than distance, why is it so important to know your dominant eye and stand/hold your body according to that dominant eye? Sorry, just a newbie trying to sort everything out.
Kimberleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-16-2018, 08:06 AM   #2

Some of our mechanics use bifocal safety glasses at work. I wonder if these would work for you.....

https://www.amazon.com/Bifocal-Safet.../dp/B000HJMR82

If you don't want to buy them just in case they don't help, I can grab a couple of them and mail them to you.
Tejun likes this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:06 AM   #3

You might want to look into XS BIG DOT SIGHTS. Have them on 3 of my shooters and just put them on wife's Micro. They're easy to see and fast to get on target. I'll be putting them on he rest of my pistols.
Spotly likes this.

Old 06-16-2018, 08:10 AM   #4

I don't know if there is a "correct" answer for you..I, and apparently many of us old shooters, have had the same problem. I have read several articles from short tips to extensive explanations from ophthalmologists with recommendations and I still have not found a "perfect" solution. There are probably old posts on this site or Sigtalk that you can access. Good Luck!
oz white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:35 AM   #5

Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Some of our mechanics use bifocal safety glasses at work. I wonder if these would work for you.....

https://www.amazon.com/Bifocal-Safet.../dp/B000HJMR82

If you don't want to buy them just in case they don't help, I can grab a couple of them and mail them to you.
What a nice offer! I donít mind buying tho, eyesight is very important! I am going to order the stick on correction so I can trim them to just go at the top of my safety glasses, to prevent the dizziness while I look elsewhere. But thank you.
Marshall, 2sharp2 and Loki1967 like this.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:39 AM   #6

Originally Posted by oz white View Post
I don't know if there is a "correct" answer for you..I, and apparently many of us old shooters, have had the same problem. I have read several articles from short tips to extensive explanations from ophthalmologists with recommendations and I still have not found a "perfect" solution. There are probably old posts on this site or Sigtalk that you can access. Good Luck!
Yeah, Iím thinking there is no perfect solution, trial and error may help. I was just confused about the dominant eye statements. I had originally thought you wanted to be looking at POA with a good distance vision now Iím seeing that your close vision needs to be good to see front sight and itís fine for the target to be a little blurry.
MPO Southy and oz white like this.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:43 AM   #7

I agree with oz white, may not be a good answer for you. I need drug store readers for computers, menu's, books, mail pretty much anything printed and within arms length.

Pistol shooting without readers, sights are blurry, target clear. Pistol shooting with readers, sights clear, target a little blurry. Not found a solution yet.

Rifle practice is a whole other can of worms.

Good Luck

Getting old SUCKS!

Gold Combat LE
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
CDP Ultra
Raptor Ultra Stainless
RCP Ultra
SIS Custom
SIS Pro
SIS Ultra
TLE Pro (TFS)
Stainless Raptor
Custom Two Tone .45/460 Rowland
Super Carry Ultra Plus
84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:37 AM   #8

Your focus should be on the front sight and the target in the rear sites will be a little blurry. That's why the Big Dot helps me; it's hard not to focus on that front sight with them.
MPO Southy likes this.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:58 AM   #9

Originally Posted by Cucamonga kid View Post
Your focus should be on the front sight and the target in the rear sites will be a little blurry. That's why the Big Dot helps me; it's hard not to focus on that front sight with them.
Iíll look into those, had not heard of them. Thanks!
Old 06-16-2018, 10:04 AM   #10

IMG_1920.PNG
This is the set that I put on my wife's Micro CDPLG.
The green are actually tritium inserts and they glow-in-the-dark quite well.
MPO Southy, Tejun and Mini Me like this.