What are the things that you work on the most at the range. - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2018, 09:04 AM   #1

What are the things that you work on the most at the range.

I was wondering what everyone here does at the range. What practices do you do with your gun? Do you just practice shooting paper? Or do you pull from you holster or opposite hand? How many rounds do you usually go through in a session?
Bear604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-24-2018, 09:09 AM   #2

For me box drills or moving drills in general.

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk
shupe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:35 AM   #3

usually end up talking more than anything..
Tejun, Markie and JC45 like this.
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2018, 09:52 AM   #4

The ranges I go to don’t give you much freedom to do things like draw from a holster or move around when shooting.
2sharp2, Tejun, Loki1967 and 1 others like this.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:57 AM   #5

the have a tizzy fit when you turn on the fast switch on your trigger finger...
Loki1967 and Wingnut like this.
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:08 AM   #6

Originally Posted by Shootinit View Post
the have a tizzy fit when you turn on the fast switch on your trigger finger...
Had that happen to me just a few days ago. Canít draw from holster so I was lowering the muzzle then raising on target for quick double taps. Range guy told me that they donít allow quick anything.
Wingnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 12:34 PM   #7

It didn't dawn on me until now how fortunate I am to not having to use public ranges. Thirty-one years now.
Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post
Had that happen to me just a few days ago. Canít draw from holster so I was lowering the muzzle then raising on target for quick double taps. Range guy told me that they donít allow quick anything.
Old 06-24-2018, 12:35 PM   #8

I guess my favorite is practicing how fast I can rain lead on my target--faster and faster until the groups start opening up and there are too many fliers.

Drawing? I don't practice as much, but should probably practice more at home. My weakness is an imperfect grip. Often I'll need to readjust or take the shot with a sloppy grip.

At the indoor range, I'll blow through 100-200 rounds. Fewer, and it's pointless to go. More, and I'll be getting bored because indoor isn't all that exciting. Outdoors, it's usually 500-600 rounds, and there's a lot more freedom to play. I like following a target that's moving from the previous shot, or engaging targets that are far apart.
swca and Markie like this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 12:49 PM   #9

A little off topic but the whole importance of moving drills was 100% proven just last Thursday.
I/my team was giving a hostage rescue demo to our Emergency Squad recruits. We were in a 5 man stack when we entered. We followed protocol to the "T" and took the hostage taker down. The pointman and I (#2) took simultaneous shots on the hostage taker. MP-5s at 15 and 25 yards respectively. Never before had that happened in our training. Only on shot was heard by 50 witnesses. One shot was between the eyes and mine in the temple. Pretty cool.

9mm simunitions and live roll players.

Last edited by shupe13; 06-24-2018 at 01:06 PM.
Old 06-24-2018, 01:16 PM   #10

I guess I have it pretty good compared to the comments of others here. I belong to large gun club / shooting range with multiple pistol and rifle ranges. Three of the ranges are competition pistol ranges with no fixed firing line. You can set up any combination of targets, barricades and firing points you want. Here you can draw, move and shoot however you want. We set up kinda mini USPSA practice courses. I will run anywhere from 200 to 500 rounds depending on how serious I want to practice.

Another range is all steel plates, different sizes, 10 to 25 yards. It has swingers, spinners and falling plates. Also a bench and fixed and covered firing line. On this range it's so much fun you tend to shoot until you run out of ammo.

There is also a 200 yrd pistol and .22 rifle range with a full bench, numbered firing points and a covered firing line. It's used for Bullseye and small bore competitions. Then there is a 300 yrd rifle range for the big boys. Full bench and covered firing line.

And if you're feeling old school there's a full Cowboy City that you have to see to believe. It has maybe a dozen "buildings" with multiple benches and firing points. Those guys really get into it

Obviously here we do a little of everything depending on time and mood. I always find the time to shoot my EDC. And we always bring along two or three .22s. Last all day trip I'd say we hit or passed the 1000 rd mark through twelve maybe thirteen guns. Other days I may just shoot a couple of hundred rounds through my USPSA match gun for draw and shoot practice. We take our shootin' purty serious here da hills.....
Tejun, Jflytle, swca and 6 others like this.

Last edited by PaulWVa; 06-24-2018 at 01:23 PM.
PaulWVa is offline   Reply With Quote