Disappointing first trip to range - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2018, 11:14 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to cpool222 Send a message via MSN to cpool222 Send a message via Yahoo to cpool222
Disappointing first trip to range

Took my brand new Kimber Micro 380 Two-Tone pistol to the gun range today and was sadly disappointed. I lubricated it last night and took it out to the range this morning. Good news was that it was more accurate than I expected from such a small gun. Bad news was the failures to feed. Unfortunately, I bought a box of flat-nose ammo (Winchester white box) before reading that the gun probably wouldn't like it. Well, they were right, it failed to feed every single round. But the really disappointing thing was when I switched to round-nose Remington UMC ammo and it failed to feed about 3 out of every 7 rounds. I'm really hoping that it's due to just needing to be broken in properly, but could that really cause that many mis-feeds? Anyone else have that bad luck with their Micro 380 first time out? Any advice or feedback will be appreciated. Thanks!
cpool222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-05-2018, 05:50 AM   #2

Sorry to hear, I don’t own a Micro 380.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 06:42 AM   #3

Originally Posted by cpool222 View Post
Took my brand new Kimber Micro 380 Two-Tone pistol to the gun range today and was sadly disappointed. I lubricated it last night and took it out to the range this morning. Good news was that it was more accurate than I expected from such a small gun. Bad news was the failures to feed. Unfortunately, I bought a box of flat-nose ammo (Winchester white box) before reading that the gun probably wouldn't like it. Well, they were right, it failed to feed every single round. But the really disappointing thing was when I switched to round-nose Remington UMC ammo and it failed to feed about 3 out of every 7 rounds. I'm really hoping that it's due to just needing to be broken in properly, but could that really cause that many mis-feeds? Anyone else have that bad luck with their Micro 380 first time out? Any advice or feedback will be appreciated. Thanks!
Never had issues with mine after breaking my Raptor. 380 in. It started to do that now after about 9 months of ownership. Just got it back from the factory and taking it to the range for first time today. Will get back to you about range time. Keep your fingers crossed. Just another FYI, I learned early on not to use Winchester, I only use round nose ammo for the .380 i.e. UMC, Sig, Fiocchi, Hornady and Aguila. Trying them all today!
cousinmark and cnutco like this.

Last edited by Karens; 08-05-2018 at 07:51 AM.
Karens is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2018, 06:48 AM   #4

Not good enough, CP.
Call Kimber tomorrow and have them fix it.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 06:49 AM   #5

Do you know if your pistol has the newer guide rod and recoil spring? The newer system will have a notch to ride the barrel milled into the button end and the spring will be made of flat metal rather than round wire. If you've got the older set up Kimber will send you a new rig.
One thing I don't like about the 7 round magazines is that they don't seem to fit tightly enough. I'm convinced my grip will misalign them and cause feeding problems. For that reason I've just stopped using them. Things run fine with the Kimber 6 round magazines so I'll make 6 rounds work in a pinch.
My Micro likes American Eagle RN, Fiocchi RN, Aguila RN and Gecko RN as well as Hornady and Fiocchi XTP ammo.
If you have the new guide rod/spring, can try a new 6 round magazine and still have problems after a few hundred rounds send her in to Yonkers.
Good luck, keep us posted.
Tejun, Markie, Cybercycle and 1 others like this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 06:59 AM   #6

Originally Posted by cpool222 View Post
I am having the same exact issues on my new Micro .380. I bought a box of Browning flat nose cartridges, and 37 rounds out of 50 failed to feed. A light tap on the slide would bring it to battery, but that's ridiculous for a firearm that Kimber claims to digest any name-brand modern cartridge. The gun was field stripped and cleaned and lubed prior to the first shot, and the slide racked easily. I realize that some firearms favor some rounds over others, but after owning over 400 firearms, I've nener experienced a failure rate even remotely close to this. We all understand break-period, and trying other ammo, but my hopes aren't high. I'll buy a box of round nose, but based on your findings . . . Sounds like it may be time to contact Kimber.
Badlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 07:09 AM   #7

Originally Posted by cousinmark View Post
Do you know if your pistol has the newer guide rod and recoil spring? The newer system will have a notch to ride the barrel milled into the button end and the spring will be made of flat metal rather than round wire. If you've got the older set up Kimber will send you a new rig.
One thing I don't like about the 7 round magazines is that they don't seem to fit tightly enough. I'm convinced my grip will misalign them and cause feeding problems. For that reason I've just stopped using them. Things run fine with the Kimber 6 round magazines so I'll make 6 rounds work in a pinch.
My Micro likes American Eagle RN, Fiocchi RN, Aguila RN and Gecko RN as well as Hornady and Fiocchi XTP ammo.
If you have the new guide rod/spring, can try a new 6 round magazine and still have problems after a few hundred rounds send her in to Yonkers.
Good luck, keep us posted.
I just commented on the FTF issues with my new two-tone Micro .380, and it does have the flat wire spring. Thanks for mentioning it, though.
cousinmark likes this.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:32 AM   #8

Other issues are the extractor and fixing it.

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=864153

Other issues.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/bad-day-range-kimber/

Some solutions.

https://www.kimbertalk.com/forums/ki...le-thread.html

I hope this helps. I had similar issues with a Sig P238 (Actually two of them). I ended up selling them.
Karens likes this.
Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 07:52 AM   #9

Originally Posted by Aggie View Post
Other issues are the extractor and fixing it.

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=864153

Other issues.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/bad-day-range-kimber/

Some solutions.

https://www.kimbertalk.com/forums/ki...le-thread.html

I hope this helps. I had similar issues with a Sig P238 (Actually two of them). I ended up selling them.
Thank you for sharing these links.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:54 AM   #10

Originally Posted by Badlands View Post
I just commented on the FTF issues with my new two-tone Micro .380, and it does have the flat wire spring. Thanks for mentioning it, though.
The thing that makes me the maddest is that Kimber upgraded the springs sometime this year ( I called after I got the gun back this week) and NEVER emailed the owners about it!