Kimber Talk Forums banner

Opinions wanted

3K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Oklahomabound 
#1 · (Edited)
Adios.....

#2 ·
I have never tried this before, with any gun. That said, I have to believe there are built in tolerances for the extractor. That is, it is cut so that it will have the needed space to grab any case head in the chamber.
If you are having FTE problems with this particular round, try another. The case head on the next one may be just a bit thicker and therefore more engaged with the extractor. In fact, if you have a micrometer, you might want to check and see just how much difference there is between different brands and case types.

#8 ·
If I get your response it was about the thought the extractor hook was too long and jumping the rim thus failing to extract? Actually the rim thickness of the 45 acp is .048 and the breechface to extractor inner hook should be .075. Nearly every Kimber I have measured is .069.
Infact the pistols I see having issue failing to return to battery is due to this too tight a clearance as the gun is a controlled feed system.

#5 ·
I truly astounded by your publish regards. I really appreciate that you took all this time to try and help us...
What was this thread about? The OP must have deleted it before I saw it some time ago but I see yesterday's comment and wonder.
Mike, I could never figure it out either and I think that post by starmoon is one of those bot things. We have a couple of strange posts like that on the forum, nonsense posted by a person with only 1 post.

#6 ·
The original post included a picture of the chamber and an extractor hook along with a shell case. The point was the hook was not in contact with the case rim. He wanted to know if it was normal. My response is as you see it.

I think Chuck is right about the odd, make that strange, post below mine.

I don't know if it was me or "STARMOON" that apparently offended the OP.

#7 ·
I did a little digging, KidShalene had a total of 3 posts since he joined the forum on 09/25/13. On 10/01/13 he logged onto the forum and removed all his messages leaving a string of ........... on one of them and Adios...... on the other two. Maybe it took him a week to figure out he didn't like playing with grownups.

Reactions: Oklahomabound
#9 ·
The issue was one of failure to extract. The op had included a picture of a case in the chamber. It clearly showed the hook of the extractor was not actually engaging the under side of the case head. In fact there was a substantial, (relatively), gap between the hook and the underside.
As I said in my response, I had never tried to view/measure any possible gap in that area so I was not familiar with the tolerances that might be considered normal. However, it did appear there was more than enough room for the extractor to skip or slide off the case head and leave it in the chamber waiting to jam the next round.

#14 ·
Is the new software doing that? I saw some posts in a couple other old threads. Talk about out of the ashes.

#15 ·
The only way to stop that is to close dud or old threads. That could be fun! Besides, sometimes old threads are informative.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.