Lead Fouling - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By Rick in Oregon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2018, 05:14 PM   #1

Lead Fouling

Any of you guys shoot lead bullets? If so, what do you get the lead fouling off with? I have just switched over to lead and it seems like all the Ballistal in the world won't get it completely clean.
JimmyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-25-2018, 05:37 PM   #2

I shoot a fair amount of lead in both revolvers and most of my autos. The best thing to own if you shoot lead is the Lewis Lead Remover, available from Brownell's and others like Midwayusa.com.

I clean with a good solvent first, then attack the barrel leading with the LLR. In less than ten minutes, you can remove every trace of lead in a barrel.

This tool has been around since before I got into handguns and lead bullets, and that was a very long time ago. The LLR is still on the market....'cause it works!
Rick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:41 PM   #3

Thanks for the tip! They are on backorder at Brownells so I guess I'll have to wait, couldn't find them on Midwayusa or Mid south shooters supply.
JimmyK is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2018, 07:41 PM   #4

Hoppes and a brass brush. Or you can do like I do and Use SNS hardcast coated bullets. They never have leaded any firearm I've used them in and they shoot cleaner then copper plated.
Its the only bullet I will load other than copper plated rounds. (Which I haven't used since I switched to SNS) They are almost the same price as lubed lead projectiles. Plus you use less powder and get more velocity than plated
Albert.Cairns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 02:23 AM   #5

I also used the LLR. But when I noticed a particular firearm leaded with just just about anything, I used more solder in my melting pot.

It was not a permanent fix, but it made using the LLR less often to use.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:10 PM   #6

I've read in several places that Kroil (expensive) is good for getting under the lead for removal. Googled it and discovered it is just a type of penetrating oil. I bought some cheap stuff, wet the bore, let sit, scrubs right out.
Phonejack is offline   Reply With Quote