First Trip To The Range With Micro 380... Disappointed - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2018, 06:38 PM   #1

First Trip To The Range With Micro 380... Disappointed

Bought a new Micro 380 two weeks ago and shot it for the first time today. Let me say, I cleaned and lubed it, even polished the feed ramp before going. My grown son was with me in the next lane. I was using 95 grain Remmington new ammo. Set the target at 15 feet and fired the first round. No problem. The second round was a failure to feed from the magazine. Over the next 40 minutes I fired 85 rounds with a failure to feed rate of about 50 %. Tried different ammo, made no difference. I was very frustrated as my son was shooting his Roger LCP. Without a hitch. As to the 85 rounds I fired, after the 85th round the gun stopped shooting. Live round in the chamber, pulled trigger, hammer fell, no bang. Racked the slide, with new round in chamber... same thing, no bang. Did this two more times with the same 'no bang' result. At this point I took the gun apart, cleaned the firing pin hole as best I could, reassembled the gun and still it did not fire. I am calling Kimbe tomorrow.
Shoot4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-07-2018, 06:53 PM   #2

unloaded.. put a pencil down the barrel , point up and pull the trigger..pencil should jump up....

what grips are on it.
Markie and JC45 like this.
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:11 AM   #3

Originally Posted by Shootinit View Post
unloaded.. put a pencil down the barrel , point up and pull the trigger..pencil should jump up....

what grips are on it.
Yes, It couldnít hurt to remove the grips because that was my issue with my Sig P938. In his case the gun is brand new and I would also send it back. I donít own a Micro 380 but from what I read their problems donít shoot themselves out.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2018, 08:15 AM   #4

I did the pencil trick, the pencil shot about 2 ft into the air. Yesterday, the rounds that did not fire had no dimple in the primer. Five rounds this way. The Micro 380 I bought was a Cabelas exclusive, dark black metal with textured grips.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:51 AM   #5

ammo undersized? going to far for pin to reach?
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 11:19 AM   #6

Send it back. Don't wait.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:48 AM   #7

Originally Posted by DaveinNC View Post
Send it back. Don't wait.
Thatís my vote. Send it back.

KEEP CALM AND RETURN FIRE

NRA Life Member
Dude22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 11:54 AM   #8

I called Kimber today, spoke to Alan. They are sending me the information to return the gun to them. "Undersized ammo": The first 85 rounds fired, then nothing. No firing pin dimple in the ammo primer.
Old 10-08-2018, 04:47 PM   #9

Originally Posted by Shoot4Fun View Post
Live round in the chamber, pulled trigger, hammer fell, no bang. Racked the slide, with new round in chamber... same thing, no bang.
Don't do that anymore.

A friend of mine bought a 9x19mm pistol and we went out to shoot it. He had never fired an automatic.

Same thing. We heard a muffled pop and the pistol did just about what yours did. So he racked the slide, and it would not go into battery. He racked another round.

I just told him to stop, and we would take it apart. My opinion was that stoppages on a new pistol are about parr for the course.

I looked down the barrel from the breech end and almost choked. There was a spent bullet jammed in the barrel between the leade and the rifling. It would not permit a new round to go all the way into the chamber. But what if it had moved forward 3/8s of an inch?

If it doesn't go bang, or if it makes muffled ignition sound--stop! Inspect the chamber!
Chuck43, Tejun and Markie like this.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:37 AM   #10

Usually no strike means the gun didn't fully go into battery. If it happens again check to ensure the slide isn't 1/16" to the rear. The disconnecter prevents it from firing if that is the case.
Destry is offline   Reply With Quote