My Kimber is at the Shop - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2018, 02:22 PM   #1
oze

My Kimber is at the Shop

As I started in my introduction post, I am a new convert to Kimber, having purchased an Ultra Carry II. I'm not having a positive opinion of it so far. I had a 40% failure rate (FTF/FTRB) with the first 150 rounds, and although it has gotten better, I still experienced a10 % failure rate on rounds 601-750. Kimber customer support was excellent, and immediately sent me an RMA number and prepaid shipping label.

However...

My gun will be in Yonkers for at least a couple of weeks. I know, it sounds like whining, but I expect more from a product that costs this much, and I am keenly disappointed. Having traded in a CZ 75 compact, the Kimber was my one and only gun. After finally becoming comfortable with EDC, I felt *uncomfortable* going out and about without carrying. I was moping around a local gun store and saw a used Springfield XDs in .45, and I shouldn't have, but when the salesman came down to $350, I bought it. Not nearly as accurate nor as attractive as the Kimber, but 300 rounds in, not a hiccup. I feel as if I got taken in by the Ultra Carry II's pretty face, blocking me from doing my normal obsessive due diligence before buying.

Fingers crossed that Kimber takes care of this; alternately, is there a 12-step program? Thanks for tolerating the vent.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
oze is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-13-2018, 03:03 PM   #2

I’m sure Kimber will take care of your Ultra. I had a XDS 45 and I had to send it back to Springfield the day after I purchased it for a recall. Springfield took a long time to come up with a resolution but they did eventually fix the problem. All companies have issues with their products but the important thing is they take care of you when you need them.
I really didn’t care for the XDS and I definitely wouldn’t trade it for my Ultra TLE II.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 03:22 PM   #3

Did you rack it a 100 times empty to loosen it up?
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2018, 04:20 PM   #4
oze

Originally Posted by Shootinit View Post
Did you rack it a 100 times empty to loosen it up?
I did not know to do that, so no. I did read that Kimbers need to be run wet during the break-in period (and Kimber agreed), so I did do that. But it would have been racked 100s of times while at the range, albeit not while empty.

Chuck43 and VvVvrjrlaw like this.
Old 10-13-2018, 04:21 PM   #5
oze

Originally Posted by JC45 View Post
Iím sure Kimber will take care of your Ultra. I had a XDS 45 and I had to send it back to Springfield the day after I purchased it for a recall. Springfield took a long time to come up with a resolution but they did eventually fix the problem. All companies have issues with their products but the important thing is they take care of you when you need them.
I really didnít care for the XDS and I definitely wouldnít trade it for my Ultra TLE II.
I am definitely hoping not to have to replace the Kimber!

JC45 likes this.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:08 PM   #6

Out of curiosity, what ammo were you using?
JBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 06:33 PM   #7
oze

Originally Posted by JBear View Post
Out of curiosity, what ammo were you using?
JBear:

Here's the mix of what I used (all 230 grain. FMJ):
Geco, Fiocci, American Eagle, Remington and Winchester. All, according to the boxes, "manufactured in USA".

Old 10-14-2018, 05:45 AM   #8

My understanding wasn't that it mattered where it was made, so much as that it was all factory ammo. Regardless- and I could be wrong- my impression from the manual was to get 500 rounds of one premium heavy factory ammo and run them through, cleaning/lubing after every hundred rounds, then start mixing in other brands to see what you like. But I'm not sure why I think it matters, or how I got that idea from the text.

May be apples to oranges, but my wife's Walther wouldn't run a full mag of anything without a stovepipe or FTF until we stopped trying different brands, ran several hundred rounds of one brand through it (in that case, Winchester white box) and now it will shoot all the others just fine. But it wouldn't even run the white box reliably until we switched to it exclusively for awhile.
JBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 09:10 AM   #9
oze

Unhappy

Originally Posted by JBear View Post
My understanding wasn't that it mattered where it was made, so much as that it was all factory ammo. Regardless- and I could be wrong- my impression from the manual was to get 500 rounds of one premium heavy factory ammo and run them through, cleaning/lubing after every hundred rounds, then start mixing in other brands to see what you like. But I'm not sure why I think it matters, or how I got that idea from the text.

May be apples to oranges, but my wife's Walther wouldn't run a full mag of anything without a stovepipe or FTF until we stopped trying different brands, ran several hundred rounds of one brand through it (in that case, Winchester white box) and now it will shoot all the others just fine. But it wouldn't even run the white box reliably until we switched to it exclusively for awhile.
The first 450 rounds were all Geco. Kimber customer service suggested factory fresh, USA-made ammo, and dropped a couple of names; Remington and Federal were two that I recall. Anyway, I got the email notification that the gun arrived, and now I wait. Thanks for taking the time to address my concerns. Talk about buyers' remorse!
Old 10-14-2018, 12:05 PM   #10

Break-in is about 500 rounds per Kimber - don't care for that much and have had failures on a number of them - Will say the shop always got them up and running without a hiccup when they came back - shouldn't be that way but its still a find piece....Good Luck!!!1
Jerry1834 is offline   Reply With Quote