Ejector Problem....Maybe - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2018, 04:32 PM   #1

Ejector Problem....Maybe

My Kimber Ultra Carry II 9mm has had this problem ever since I bought it. Unless I use factory heavy loads it fails to eject the case most of the time stove piping. I've got over 2K rounds thru it now and it hasn't gotten any better nor worse. I tested to see if the ejector was too tight or loose and when sliding a spent case behind the ejector and then shaking it, the case will not fall out which is good but, I have to push on the case for it to fall out which from what I've been told you should only have to push on it slightly and I think I'm pushing a lot more than slightly which tells me the ejector is too tight. So I took the ejector out, cleand it up and was going to adjust it a little too loosen it up but before I did that, I looked under a microscope and the ejector seems to be worn a little bit, but I don't know if it's worn too much or if it's normal. I'm now thinking that maybe it's worn too much and when it tries to eject the case, it's slipping out of the groove. Here's a pic under the microscope of the ejector, what do you all think, Good, bad or should I adjust the ejector?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ejector.jpg (26.2 KB, 18 views)
Thumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-15-2018, 04:38 PM   #2

If the Extractor is too tight Stove Piping is the exact thing you will get. The ejector will push the brass and being the extractor is too tight it flip straight up and stove pipe on you. Bend the extractor to the outside just a little and check fit. It should hold the shell but should shake loose.
Albert.Cairns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 04:50 PM   #3

That's what I thought. How about how the ejector is worn, is that OK or should it be replaced?

Old 10-15-2018, 07:51 PM   #4

Doesn't look that bad, just finish wore off from pic.
Albert.Cairns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:02 PM   #5

OK, tuned the ejector just a tad and it seems to be a little looser but the real test will be at the range on Wednesday. I'll let you know what the outcome was.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:22 PM   #6

Just to clarify, the extractor is what your picture shows. The ejector is the part that is staked to the left side of your frame. You can see it protruding from the breech face when the slide is locked open. Not trying to be a jerk or a word snob, just that using the proper terminology can aid in trying to help diagnose problems and potential fixes. Hoping tuning the extractor is all your gun needs to feed 100%.
Chuck43 and Tejun like this.
46QJI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:38 PM   #7

Sorry about that, I meant the extractor, don't know what I was thinking about when I said ejector. No problems feeding, just not extracting with low powered ammo.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:41 PM   #8

Also, if it's a stovepiping problem that usually means your extractor is too loose and would need tension added. I know that your tension test showed it does appear to have the proper amount of tension to pass. I just recently had to add more extractor tension to my Micro 9. Although it did pass the test, it had the occasional weak ejected case straight back in my face. A little more tension on the extractor and problem solved. You don't want so much tension that the case rim can no longer reliably feed under the extractor claw but also not so little that it doesn't always pull the spent case from the barrel, causing stovepipes.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:49 PM   #9

After looking closer at your picture it doesn't necessarily look worn. Looks as though its slightly beveled on the bottom side to aid in feeding.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:43 AM   #10

If the extractor can be easily removed from the slide - you need more tension on it - speaking from experience - the extractor in the picture looks OK wear wise.
Jerry1834 is offline   Reply With Quote