Breaking in a new one by a newbie - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2018, 07:02 AM   #1

Breaking in a new one by a newbie

Hello

Since I'm new to a Kimber handguns and 1911 platform there are few questions I would like to ask.
First of all after doing some reading about 1911s I decided to replace few original parts right out of the box. If I got something wrong please feel free to correct me.

I have already order a bunch of Wilson Combat magazines. For couple of reasons actually. Needed more than just one, WC mags supposed to be more reliable then Kimbers, have larger capacity and have pads at he bottom required for magwell use.

As mentioned above - magwell. Still undecided on that one. Trying to figure out if I should pick a one or two piece model. The only advantage of a two piece that I could think of is that it could be used obviously as a magwell or be taken apart and used as a mainspring housing only which in Pro Carry II needs to be replaced anyway. One piece magwell of course is more durable and stays in place. So right now it comes down to one piece Smith & Aleksander or two piece Kimber.

New magwell will probably require a new set of grips to eliminate the small space between magwell and stock grips. I like the G10 full size grips, Ergo grips, VZ and Harrison Design grips. All of them should be fine as they are designed form magwells. Right?

Recoil spring with new guide rod. The disassembly of a 1911 with a special tool or bent paper clip for me is unacceptable as I'm used to Glocks and CZ where no tools are required. Another reason for this modification is improvement of guns reliability. Once again my choice is a Wilson Combat part. WC 9mm 1911 Flat-Wire Recoil Spring Kit Compact/Professional #784.
Looks like that would be it for the beginning. If there are any other necessary modifications on a new gun that should be done right away please let me know.

Thank you for your time.
Chuck43 and Jflytle like this.
SpecCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-10-2018, 08:27 AM   #2

Wilson Combat make fine magazines but I never had any issues with Kimber magazines.

WC also makes one piece magwells. Fusion firearms makes two piece. There are others like Ed Brown and Nighthawk Custom. Keep looking there’s more.

The Flat wire recoil spring kit is an excellent upgrade that I would recommend.
Chuck43, bigdog10, Karens and 1 others like this.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:37 AM   #3

My philosophy is the same as my father's was for his sons. "If it works, it stays."

I have a Fellini's parade of Wilson-Rogers, Tac-Mag and one lonely original blue Kimber magazine that all work and never fail. The rest were thrown away or traded back to Kimber for a replacement.

All of them have the smaller bumper pads on the bottom, and from across the room I cannot tell which is which.

Here's an example--which magazine did I carry yesterday?

DSC02411.JPG
Tejun and SpecCop like this.

Old 11-10-2018, 09:21 AM   #4

You Drank The Internet Kool-Aid

Originally Posted by SpecCop View Post
Hello

Since I'm new to a Kimber handguns and 1911 platform there are few questions I would like to ask.
First of all after doing some reading about 1911s I decided to replace few original parts right out of the box. If I got something wrong please feel free to correct me.

I have already order a bunch of Wilson Combat magazines. For couple of reasons actually. Needed more than just one, WC mags supposed to be more reliable then Kimbers, have larger capacity and have pads at he bottom required for magwell use.

As mentioned above - magwell. Still undecided on that one. Trying to figure out if I should pick a one or two piece model. The only advantage of a two piece that I could think of is that it could be used obviously as a magwell or be taken apart and used as a mainspring housing only which in Pro Carry II needs to be replaced anyway. One piece magwell of course is more durable and stays in place. So right now it comes down to one piece Smith & Aleksander or two piece Kimber.

New magwell will probably require a new set of grips to eliminate the small space between magwell and stock grips. I like the G10 full size grips, Ergo grips, VZ and Harrison Design grips. All of them should be fine as they are designed form magwells. Right?

Recoil spring with new guide rod. The disassembly of a 1911 with a special tool or bent paper clip for me is unacceptable as I'm used to Glocks and CZ where no tools are required. Another reason for this modification is improvement of guns reliability. Once again my choice is a Wilson Combat part. WC 9mm 1911 Flat-Wire Recoil Spring Kit Compact/Professional #784.
Looks like that would be it for the beginning. If there are any other necessary modifications on a new gun that should be done right away please let me know.

Thank you for your time.

But you did nothing "wrong." It's your pistol change what you want however some of us believe some changes are unneeded.
1. For Pro and Full size models the WC Flat Wire Kit is a great modification, a lot of us use that kit.
2. Wilson Combat Magazines: Fine product but overpriced IMO. I have a lot of Kimber's original magazines, never had a problem. I have a lot of Kimber Kim-Pro Tac mags they come with 3 size base plates, never had a problem, cheaper than WC. Magazines for range and general practice Chuck and I and many others own boatloads of magazines from joes1911magmania he sells on Ebay and from his website. Great prices, quality magazines never any problems with any of them and I probably own over 60 of them in 9mm and .45 compact and full size.
Up until almost a year ago now I was using KimPro mags as my spare EDC mags, but Chuck and I talked and we both changed to Chip McCormick 10round full size mags as our EDC. Yes, if we had to reload in a fire fight they would stick out the end of our Ultra's...who cares we don't. Extra rounds.
3. Magwells: Personal taste. FYI, all Kimber 1911's come from factory with a "Plastic" main spring housing. That don't bother me. I think I own a couple of models that I bought used and the previous owner changed them to metal. Never had a problem with any of them. Same thing with Magwells, I own some with and some without magwells. I like them OK but don't really see a need for them in the real world. I've never added a magwell. If I was going to I would pick a one-piece probably from Smith and Alexander, Ed Brown or Wilson.
4.GRIPS: Fun beautiful thing, I have new grips I don't even own pistols for. YES, to make a magwell "look correct" it will require grips labeled "MAGWELL CUT." Have fun grip shopping, fairly inexpensive lots of fun I change grips around all the time.
Tons of good grip makers to pick from.
Chuck43, Karens and SpecCop like this.

Gold Combat LE
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
CDP Ultra
Raptor Ultra Stainless
RCP Ultra
SIS Custom
SIS Pro
SIS Ultra
TLE Pro (TFS)
Stainless Raptor
Custom Two Tone .45/460 Rowland
Super Carry Ultra Plus
84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:28 AM   #5

Nothing much to add here really customizing your gun to fit what you want is fun. I too have been having great luck with Chip McCormick mags in my 9mm, 1911s. And I have hard used Wilson .45 mags from back before anyone even knew who Bill Wilson was... they still run fine.

As for mag wells and grips if you go with a one piece well with the "ears" that go up around the grip bushings (like Wilson's) and your favorite grip panels aren't relief cut for them you can easily do it yourself. That is if you have and know how to use a Dremel tool. Just lay the "ears' flat against the back of the grip and trace them then carefully grind/cut until the relief is deep enough for the ears to lay flat and even. It's easy to do on G10 or wood,... a little harder on aluminum grips like Valkyries. You'll need metal cutting bits for them. Practice on some scrap wood until you feel comfortable. I've done this several times and it's a nice Saturday night project that will let your have the well and grips you want.

I'm a DIY kinda guy so I'll will always try to fix it myself first. Give me a hammer , a Dremel and a saws-all and I'll fix the world..
Chuck43, 2sharp2, JC45 and 1 others like this.
PaulWVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 12:22 PM   #6

Thanks for advice guys.
I would like to make something clear. The modifications I mentioned are in my opinion pretty much necessary. I definitely don't want to over do it and waste money in the process. The original list of potential modifications was much longer.

Now back on the subject.
I had to purchase more magazines as the only one that comes with the gun is obviously not enough. I chose WC because they have the best opinion in the internet. I looked at other brands but they basically had the same price as highly recomended WC or didn't have a base plate. Unfortunately at this time www is my only source of information about 1911 since this platform is not so popular in Europe. So, if I buy something that is not going to work in my gun I will have a problem selling it.
Magwell and main spring housing exchange and modification have to be done because all my life i have been using handguns with double stack magazine with wider grip so performing a fast reload on a slim grip without magwell like the one in 1911 might be actually a problem for me. At least at the beginning. Plastic mainspring housing just has to go. Period. New grips not only will take care of the gap issue but also improve grip, especially G10 models.
Flat wire recoil spring with guide rod will be exchanged to make gun disassembly easier and also to improve guns performance.

Other modifications that I was considering.
Exchange of the extractor as it seems there are some problems with the factory one. A lot of people complaining about FTE.
I was also thinking about installing a titanium firing pin just to have it done once and for all.
While I'm at it. What type or brand of oil/greasy you guys use on your's 1911?

Once again guys thanks for your input.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:19 PM   #7
Super Moderator

I think you've made some good choices, WC magazines are great but like Arland I have over 30 Kimber KimPro Tac-Mags that have never given me a bit of trouble.

I like magwells and have them on all my carry guns, I don't think it matters if they are one or two piece. One thing worth mentioning, I don't load my carry gun with a magazine with a bumper on it. I think there's less change of the bumper rubbing against clothing and adding to my draw time. All my spare carry magazines (10 rounders) do have bumpers to help insure fully seating the mag during a reload.

WC flat wire recoil springs are a big plus, everyone of my 4" and 5" guns have them.

A titanium firing is a plus but I'm perfectly comfortable with the factory firing pin, I would go titanium if I had to replace a factory firing pin.

There is nothing wrong with the factory extractor, if it's giving you trouble it needs tuning. I'd suggest watching a few video's on how to do that rather then replacing the new one.

I'm old school I clean my guns with Hoppe's #9 and lube them with FP-10 until fully broken in. In my house that's 800 rounds, then I lube with FP-10 and use grease (Brian Enos Slide Glide) on the rails.
2sharp2, Jflytle and SpecCop like this.

Chuck43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 02:59 PM   #8

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
I think you've made some good choices, WC magazines are great but like Arland I have over 30 Kimber KimPro Tac-Mags that have never given me a bit of trouble.

I like magwells and have them on all my carry guns, I don't think it matters if they are one or two piece. One thing worth mentioning, I don't load my carry gun with a magazine with a bumper on it. I think there's less change of the bumper rubbing against clothing and adding to my draw time. All my spare carry magazines (10 rounders) do have bumpers to help insure fully seating the mag during a reload.

WC flat wire recoil springs are a big plus, everyone of my 4" and 5" guns have them.

A titanium firing is a plus but I'm perfectly comfortable with the factory firing pin, I would go titanium if I had to replace a factory firing pin.

There is nothing wrong with the factory extractor, if it's giving you trouble it needs tuning. I'd suggest watching a few video's on how to do that rather then replacing the new one.

I'm old school I clean my guns with Hoppe's #9 and lube them with FP-10 until fully broken in. In my house that's 800 rounds, then I lube with FP-10 and use grease (Brian Enos Slide Glide) on the rails.
I agree with Chuck.
The only other advice/suggestions I have for SpecCop is: "Don't believe everything you read on the internet."

ALL of my Kimber's still have the original factory extractor, never had a single issue with any of them.

I forgot you don't live in the U.S.A.

More advise: I would not change ANYTHING on your pistol until you have successfully fired at least 400 trouble free rounds. PLUS: I don't know how things work in Poland but here in the States if you have to return your pistol to Kimber and it has modifications and non factory parts, Kimber could void your warranty or will at the very least replace your non factory parts with original Kimber parts at your EXPENSE, ie: you will pay for all the parts.

And that's all I have to say about that! FG.
Chuck43, DaveinNC, PaulWVa and 1 others like this.

Gold Combat LE
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
CDP Ultra
Raptor Ultra Stainless
RCP Ultra
SIS Custom
SIS Pro
SIS Ultra
TLE Pro (TFS)
Stainless Raptor
Custom Two Tone .45/460 Rowland
Super Carry Ultra Plus
84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 03:45 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post
More advise: I would not change ANYTHING on your pistol until you have successfully fired at least 400 trouble free rounds. PLUS: I don't know how things work in Poland but here in the States if you have to return your pistol to Kimber and it has modifications and non factory parts, Kimber could void your warranty or will at the very least replace your non factory parts with original Kimber parts at your EXPENSE, ie: you will pay for all the parts.

And that's all I have to say about that! FG.

Arland brings up a good point, keep all your original parts, and if your gun has to go back to the factory reinstall them before sending it in.
2sharp2, Jflytle, PaulWVa and 1 others like this.

Chuck43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:12 AM   #10

Unfortunately if there is going to be a problem with my new Kimber then basically I'm on my own. I will have the possibly to send it back to Kimber but this will take months to get it back. So it's just my local gunsmith and you guys
Chuck43 and 2sharp2 like this.