Grip safety problems - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2019, 11:39 AM   #1

Question Grip safety problems

Hello guys,

At 66 years old I hate to sound like an idiot but I told you I'm brand new to 1911's and selling off my striker fired pistols to buy more 1911's.

Anyhow, I got my Aegis in yesterday and need help already. The trigger is nowhere as good as my PPQ 45 but that's not my problem, it's the grip safety. When I just grab it up and pull the trigger it won't fire because the web of my hand doesn't depress the grip safety all the way in. I have to adjust my hand to a non normal position for me and grip it very hard. This is 50% of the time.

What do you suggest? I don't know if they have a name or not but I've seen grip safety's that has a raised hump on them. Will this solve my problem and if so who can I get to put one on? Also I've read about pinning the grip safety down and I would need someone to do that also. I'd rather buy a new safety if it would fix it.

Thanks for any help or opinions you can share with me.

Jim D
SE Texas
Old 01-05-2019, 12:11 PM   #2

Kimber does sell a grip safety with the raised bump. You may find it cheaper somewhere else but here it is.

https://store.kimberamerica.com/grip-safety-2
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 01:06 PM   #3

I had the same problem with my 45 about eight years ago and then I discovered I had very severe carpal tunnel syndrome and that large thumb muscle in my right hand had atrophied to the point where I could barely move my thumb in certain directions. After the surgery the muscle came back and I have no more problems. So my question to you is; do you have any numbness in your hand that may be related to carpal tunnel syndrome?
2sharp2 and Tejun like this.

Old 01-05-2019, 01:15 PM   #4

C-Kid,

Yes I do, a mild case.

Jim D
Old 01-05-2019, 01:33 PM   #5

The lack of nerve signals to that hand will diminish the mass and capacity of that thumb muscle. I first noticed that when I compared my two hands with palms up and noticed that my right hand thumb muscle was actually indented rather than bulging outward like my left hand. The technician was amazed because he could not get any signal at all to my middle finger, index finger or thumb when he applied electronic probes to my arm there was no conductivity at all. My surgeon could not guarantee that the muscle mass would return. But it did and I'm very happy that I had the surgery. At the time I was working in construction and it was considered an occupational disease and was taken care of by the companys insurance. ( workers comp )
I would suggest to you that you get it checked out because it will not get better on its own; only worse as time goes by. Interesting that I was 61 years old at the time.
Chuck43, 2sharp2 and BCD 45 like this.
Old 01-05-2019, 05:43 PM   #6

Thank you C-kid,

I noticed something today when I was fooling with it, it's not just the grip which occasionally happens but rather the trigger. I thought I was squeezing it hard enough but I wasn't and that was most of the problem. I've got Sig DA/SA's that the trigger pull is not as heavy in SA as this Kimber. It's got to have a trigger job or go back to Kimber.
Thanks for your time,

Jim D
Old 01-05-2019, 06:16 PM   #7

Originally Posted by BCD 45 View Post
Thank you C-kid,

I noticed something today when I was fooling with it, it's not just the grip which occasionally happens but rather the trigger. I thought I was squeezing it hard enough but I wasn't and that was most of the problem. I've got Sig DA/SA's that the trigger pull is not as heavy in SA as this Kimber. It's got to have a trigger job or go back to Kimber.
Thanks for your time,

Jim D
Jim, do you have a gauge to measure trigger pull? I've been meaning to buy one but haven't yet. I have found my triggers have gotten better with use. I would bet money "if" you sent it back for to heavy a trigger pull, Kimber would check it but do nothing because it would be within factory specs. IMO

If your having carpel tunnel, hand, wrist issues, I doubt a Tactical Bump grip safety will help.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 06:40 PM   #8

2SHARP2,

I haven't measured yet but I've done lots of rifle trigger jobs and I'd venture to say this is 7#'s.

But I'm planning on a good cleaning job and lube tomorrow and then we'll see.

Jim D
2sharp2 likes this.

Last edited by BCD 45; 01-05-2019 at 06:44 PM.
BCD 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 07:05 PM   #9

At 69, I have the same problem - I have band aids to beef up the part of the hand with muscle lost - bitch getting old. The humped GS didn't help me much and I only have this problem drawing from the holster and not getting a high hold. You could file some material off the GS and reduce the travel to half - it works and I have done it before on my old Colt.
Jerry1834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 07:22 PM   #10

Hi BCD, … welcome to the forum.
You may want to try dry firing your Kimber … say an hundred times or so. Dry firing a 1911 will not hurt it. Use "snap-caps" if it makes you more comfortable, but I've never heard of dry firing causing any issues with 1911. (unless it's a .22 then it's a no-no)

This will help break in your trigger/sear/hammer contact points. Keep it well lubed and put all ammo in another room

You may find it's good exercise for that gun hand too. My Kimber Target II trigger was heavier than I though it should be too … but after several dry fire sessions and a few hundred rounds it's much better now. Then later a good gunsmith can smooth it out and give you a better trigger and safety if needed.
Chuck43, Marshall and 2sharp2 like this.

Last edited by PaulWVa; 01-05-2019 at 07:25 PM.
PaulWVa is offline   Reply With Quote