Wilson Combat EDC X9 ??? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2019, 10:02 PM   #1

Question Wilson Combat EDC X9 ???

Hello everyone,

If you've read several of my posts your aware that I've been debating on buying an Ed Brown EVO KC9. I had looked at the Wilson's but just couldn't afford one until I sold some other guns which I did. It will be stretching but I could afford one now if I chose to. But, I need some help and I'd love to hear your thoughts & opinions.

It's about the WC EDC X9 with the 15+1 capacity. If you have shot, seen, or handled one what's your opinion, especially concentrating on the NO grip safety? I've read the pros & cons about the grip safety in stressful situations. I'm am a gun safety freak and I think I've handled guns enough that I'd be ok with it, not saying that's it's impossible for me to have an AD. I do like the large capacity, choice of backstrap sizes, and choice of triggers. Also it's pretty good looking, I like the bronze frame with black slide & grips.

Saying all of this, I could buy the EB EVO KC9 and have enough money left over to buy the Kimber Tactical II Pro .45 that I've been looking at, PSA has them $899 free shipping.

You guys & gals are great so help me with a decision please. Thanks to all of you.

Jim D
SE Texas
cousinmark likes this.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:15 AM   #2

Jim,
I have zero knowledge of the new WC XDC other than what I've read in the trade rags. That said however, with a piece like this, consider the additional weight and bulk of the high-cap pistol loaded to full capacity.

I went through the 'high capacity' thing a while back with a Glock 30S in .45. The overall weight and bulk made the thing something I never wanted to carry, especially compared to my Micro 9 or one of my Ultra's. After a few hours of carry, I just wanted the thing off my belt and back in the safe! (It's long gone now and was replaced with a Kimber Ultra CDP in 9mm)

No flame whatever on WC; I love their stuff, use their mags in all my Kimbers and would love one of their pistols, but I'd think hard on a high cap pistol for civilian CC, especially considering the cost.

Just my experience.
Rick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:21 AM   #3

I have a WC EDC and love it. In my opinion it is not much different in weight than my .45 Kimber ultra. I don’t carry It so I haven’t put much thought into it not having a grip safety.
cousinmark and BCD 45 like this.
Mini Me is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2019, 11:23 AM   #4

Originally Posted by BCD 45 View Post

Saying all of this, I could buy the EB EVO KC9 and have enough money left over to buy the Kimber Tactical II Pro .45 that I've been looking at, PSA has them $899 free shipping.

You guys & gals are great so help me with a decision please. Thanks to all of you.

Jim D
SE Texas
Hey Jim,

Over the years I've purchased a safe full of handguns mostly $500-$1,000 each using similar logic to the highlighted above. In all honesty, I believe I would have better enjoyed a select few high-end pricier handguns.

If you really want that Wilson... get it.

Cheers.

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 01-17-2019 at 12:05 PM.
ChattanoogaPhil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:49 PM   #5

That's a fine looking pistol, for myself it would be too nice to knock around with, wouldn't want to ding it up. For me it'd be larger than I'd want to tote around too, I'm in the Rick camp as far as that goes. My EDC is a Ruger LC9s or CZ 2075 w/10 round magazine, really easy to carry.
Don't get me wrong I'd love to own one of those Wilson Combat double stack 9's!!!
...so, I'm in the Phil camp on that. WTF, you deserve it right???
Be sure to post pics with your range report :-)
BCD 45 likes this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 02:18 PM   #6

If I Was Buying For Me

Hello everyone,

If you've read several of my posts your aware that I've been debating on buying an Ed Brown EVO KC9. I had looked at the Wilson's but just couldn't afford one until I sold some other guns which I did. It will be stretching but I could afford one now if I chose to. But, I need some help and I'd love to hear your thoughts & opinions.

It's about the WC EDC X9 with the 15+1 capacity. If you have shot, seen, or handled one what's your opinion, especially concentrating on the NO grip safety? I've read the pros & cons about the grip safety in stressful situations. I'm am a gun safety freak and I think I've handled guns enough that I'd be ok with it, not saying that's it's impossible for me to have an AD. I do like the large capacity, choice of backstrap sizes, and choice of triggers. Also it's pretty good looking, I like the bronze frame with black slide & grips.

Jim D
SE Texas

Jim, we can't make up your mind for you but I'll try to break it down.
I decided to look at both pistols like I was buying for myself. First I just saw three used (don't know how you feel about buying used) Tactical Pro's on GunBroker one listing $625, $849, $850, two had shipping @ $25 bucks and the third one depends on price to Texas.
I would probably buy one of the used Tactical Pros first. My opinion follows: I will overlook that both pistols have external extractors, they are probably fine, just not what I'm used to. I would not CC all the time a 9mm, I prefer .45. The biggest Con for both pistols is as far as I know neither pistol is currently available to purchase, so you will wait who knows how long for either pistol. Con: Both are new cutting edge technology, possible problem IMO. Con: The Wilson Combat MSRP is $1,000 more but could be worth it, I like the Ball Milled Chamber and Barrel the WC has. Pro: Both Ed Brown & Wilson Combat has Master Dealers as Vendors on forum 1911Addicts that offer discounts to Addict members, the dollar amount I don't know and since these are new models there may not be a discount.
With the exception of the Wilson Ball Milled Barrel, I like the looks of the Ed Brown EVO KC9 the best. It is amazing how much both pistols look alike. Let's see, EB has 1/2" shorter barrel, WC holds 15 rounds but they will be double stack and require new totally different magazines.
I am pretty sure I would NOT want to conceal carry either pistol, not due to how much they cost but because they are heavy considering they are 9mm. The Brown weighs approx. 34oz empty and the Wilson is at 35.04 loaded. I'm pretty sure the loaded 45 Tactical Pro weighs less? I think that's most of the idea's I had. Oh on the Ed Brown I see front sights can be interchange? Unsure if that's good or bad, I'm thinking it could be bad, seems it could change point of aim/impact or could loosen and get lost?

Meat of the story:
I would NOT order or buy either pistol in the $1895 to $3,000 dollar range until I was able to inspect and hold in my hot fat hand to see how it feels, looks, balances.

If I had to chose right now, like you i'd be undecided but for several reasons leaning toward the Ed Brown EVO KC9.
Chuck43 and BCD 45 like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 02:54 PM   #7

Hey guys,

Since no one except one person has mentioned the NO grip safety so I guess it's not a big deal. Looks as if several of you are in the same boat as me, undecided.

First let me say that I don't plan on carrying either one, I just want a high quality shooter to have and keep. I've got my Aegis Ultra 9mm, a Walther PPS, and a HK VP9SK to carry and when I find a NIB Tactical II Ultra in 45 I'll be buying that also.

That being said, everything I've read about Ed Brown speaks highly of their quality and accuracy. So I'm like 2sharp2, I'm thinking the EB being a $1000 less is the way to go and I think I like the looks better than the WC. Either one will probably out shoot the goof ball behind the gun, me!
.................................................. ......
2sharp2, they are showing up at dealers already, I just missed one Tuesday and there is a black one on GB'er now that's been there 4 days but I like the Stainless model.
Also, I watched a video about changing the front sight and from what I saw it's not ever going to move unless you do it.

Thanks guys, I appreciate all of you.

Jim D
SE Texas
2sharp2 likes this.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:49 PM   #8

Start looking at STI... I finally fondled one and it was sweet. Depending on model, not crazy priced like WC...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BCD 45 likes this.

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - Sumner Gun - ANJRPC - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
bhunted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:56 PM   #9

Hey guys,

Since no one except one person has mentioned the NO grip safety so I guess it's not a big deal. Looks as if several of you are in the same boat as me, undecided.

First let me say that I don't plan on carrying either one, I just want a high quality shooter to have and keep. I've got my Aegis Ultra 9mm, a Walther PPS, and a HK VP9SK to carry and when I find a NIB Tactical II Ultra in 45 I'll be buying that also.

That being said, everything I've read about Ed Brown speaks highly of their quality and accuracy. So I'm like 2sharp2, I'm thinking the EB being a $1000 less is the way to go and I think I like the looks better than the WC. Either one will probably out shoot the goof ball behind the gun, me!
2sharp2, they are showing up at dealers already, I just missed one Tuesday and there is a black one on GB'er now that's been there 4 days but I like the Stainless model.
Also, I watched a video about changing the front sight and from what I saw it's not ever going to move unless you do it.

Thanks guys, I appreciate all of you.

Jim D
SE Texas

Ok, I researched some more. I watched both videos about the pistols on each website. I was wrong about a couple things, the Ed Brown DOES have a ball milled bull barrel they just didn't mill the chamber like the Wilson. (I just think the milled chamber looks cool) I thought the Wilson had a 4.25" barrel but it is 4" just like the EB. The Wilson says will have changeable front sight just like the EB. I didn't like the way the Vickers WC video says the one piece grip has no screws and is held in place by the back strap.

Sorry forgot the "Grip Safety" was a question. The Ed Brown has a 1911 type/style grip safety, the WC double stack does not have a grip safety but is safe in condition 1. Jim the "No Grip Safety" is a no issue IMO, I would not let that stop me from buying a Wilson if that's what I wanted. I hope to range day my new to me CQB Compact soon.

You can get a used Tactical Pro for less than $899 w/free shipping but not that much savings. If the $899 free ship is new I'd probably buy it, remember it's not like Kimber is going to start making them again, you should buy it while you can. The new Ed Brown's and Wilson's are just starting production and I assume will be around for awhile. The EVO KC9 is a tribute to the EB Kobra Carry which was introduced 20 years ago!

Either would make a fine range/house pistol. I didn't know some had hit LGS's but I wasn't looking for one either.
BCD 45 likes this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr

Last edited by 2sharp2; 01-17-2019 at 03:59 PM.
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 04:33 PM   #10

Mt WC EDC X9

Hey gang, attached is my EDC X9. Been alternating with my Kimber Pro Raptor SS .45 One thing nice, is the double stack mag, 14 + 1 in the chamber. The trigger pull on mine is 3.5lbs. It took me a little time to get use to the NO grip safety, but I got use to it...This is a great EDC if your looking for a 1911 style 9mm...Notice I said style, but not a 1911...Ordered mine with ambi safety, medium trigger and small back strap, and green pistol grips...Very pleased how accurate this pistol is. Very light and easy to conceal carry, with a 4" barrel...

https://www.kimbertalk.com/forums/at...1&d=1547767115
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WCX2551D.jpg (428.7 KB, 19 views)
LT5 John is offline   Reply With Quote