What sight pusher? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2019, 08:09 AM   #1

What sight pusher?

Specifically for the Kimber K6S rear, but in general for most hand guns do you use?

I have replaced/adjusted a couple of sights on handguns using the punch and small hammer method, but I have marked the sight.

What is a good pusher for multiple handguns?

Thanks!
dontcatchmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-20-2019, 08:18 AM   #2

Wheeler Engineering Armorer's... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B3NU0U2...p_mob_ap_share

Great unit for a decent price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chuck43 and PaulWVa like this.

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - ANJRPC - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
bhunted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 10:42 AM   #3

I've seen the Jennings Sight Pusher advertised in American Handgunner for years. Have no personal experience with it, but if it's been around for so long, it probably deserves a look before you decide.

https://www.sightpushertool.com/

From the pic in the advert, it appears to be a quality, well designed tool.

Last edited by Rick in Oregon; 01-20-2019 at 10:44 AM.
Rick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2019, 12:27 PM   #4

brass punch has been working fine for the little adjustment i've ever needed

Last edited by Shootinit; 01-20-2019 at 02:41 PM.
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 01:48 PM   #5

I needed one because several of my guns didnít have night sights which I need. Got tired of watching a gunsmith too cheap to by the right tools, whacking the sights out with a hammer and punch. I have a few and the Wheeler is the best one I own.

John, aka BHunted

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
Old 01-20-2019, 02:15 PM   #6

Originally Posted by bhunted View Post
I needed one because several of my guns didnít have night sights which I need. Got tired of watching a gunsmith too cheap to by the right tools, whacking the sights out with a hammer and punch. I have a few and the Wheeler is the best one I own.

I ordered a new rear sight for my DW Vigil Commander yesterday. I canít wait to try my new Wheeler sight pusher. Do you need to do anything to protect the finish on the slide ?
Chuck43 likes this.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 02:24 PM   #7

Originally Posted by JC45 View Post
I ordered a new rear sight for my DW Vigil Commander yesterday. I canít wait to try my new Wheeler sight pusher. Do you need to do anything to protect the finish on the slide ?

Not really, but a lil black tape wonít hurt if you are leery. Just read the instructions a few times. Then perform the move. Once you do a couple, itís quick and easy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chuck43, JC45 and PaulWVa like this.

John, aka BHunted

Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
Old 01-20-2019, 02:51 PM   #8

JC, I used my wheelers sight tool and it worked great. Like above read directions well. I used thin stips of cardboard for the frame rails. Another thing to take note of is the height of the pusher so it doesnt rub the top of the frame. I used a thin piece of paper to check the clearance. Take your time and you shouldnt have any problems.
Chuck43 and JC45 like this.
427malibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 04:19 PM   #9

but if I did really need one I would get this one
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 08:29 PM   #10

Originally Posted by dontcatchmany View Post
Specifically for the Kimber K6S rear, but in general for most hand guns do you use?

I have replaced/adjusted a couple of sights on handguns using the punch and small hammer method, but I have marked the sight.

What is a good pusher for multiple handguns?

Thanks!
...so my first question is what are you fishing for? With a name like "dontcatchmany I've got to ask?
...on the sight pusher, I personally don't mess around with them, but have talked with numerous local and factory gunsmiths about this. The one thing that has been unilateral is that the pusher is only one part of the equation. Filing, sanding, and epoxying and staking of the sight and dovetail are potentially involved? A specific jig for the slide you're working with is a big help according to most...
...had the factory sights on my Micro Carry .380 replaced by the factory. No problems
...factory front sight on my new PRO CDPII fell out on the first outing. Kimber replaced it, stayed put :-)
...had the sights on my SW MP2.0 compact replaced with night sights locally. The front didn't hold, had to be epoxied, has held since.
...CZ 2075 BD, front sight was off center out of the box. CZ USA centered it, died after firing 100 rounds. Sent it back, sight replaced. After first 100 rounds new sight died. As these sights are staked in by the factory CZ USA opted to replace the pistol rather than screw around with it?
From what I can tell fitting the sight to the dovetail is the key. If you push or drift a sight into a dovetail thats too tight you may well crack the night sight and ruin it?
Just my $.02, but for the few I may ever need to mess around with in the future I'd rather pay a few $$.00s and be done with it.
...second question? How many sights will you be changing?
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote