One pistol you trust to defend life? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree217Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2019, 11:01 PM   #1

Question One pistol you trust to defend life?

I have a question I often think about and wonder what other's opinions are about pistols. I have German Sigs, Walthers, HK's, and now a 1911 with one in the works. I have an addiction, badly, I like guns. I have had a lot of other brand pistols in the past.

My thought and question is not based on enjoyable shooting, easy cheap ammo availability, or being "cool" and pretty. It's about the one pistol and caliber, and only one please, that is reliable and trustworthy enough to defend your, your wife's, your children's, or a loved one's life with if you were forced to shoot to defend, hopefully never? The one pistol you feel is 100% reliable whether carrying, in your truck, at home, or in a battle.

I have one picked out and it's 25+ years old and isn't real pretty but it's the one I'd choose to defend all the people in my life and feel 100% comfortable doing it.

Jim D

Last edited by BCD 45; 02-01-2019 at 11:13 PM.
BCD 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-01-2019, 11:48 PM   #2

If I had to choose one I would have to say it is my Sig Sauer P238. It has NEVER had even one issue since I bought it in 2010. Carry it nearly every day in the summer months when I need deep concealment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0128.JPG (3.27 MB, 32 views)
Old 02-02-2019, 12:11 AM   #3

Damn, only one? That's down right mean. But OK, I'll play... if I had to open the safe and pull just one, I'd grab my Sig X-5, 9mm. Deadly accurate and holds 21+1. And with two mags on my belt gives me a lot of firepower. And I do have two mag carriers so I could carry four. 106 rds easily at hand, yeah, I'd go with that.
PaulWVa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2019, 12:42 AM   #4

Paul.

That's a bunch of fire power for sure and a good looking pistol. Has it always been 110% reliable?

I thank both of you and I hope by tomorrow afternoon we'll see a lot of different answers. I expect to see a lot that prefer revolvers.

Jim D
Old 02-02-2019, 01:00 AM   #5

Originally Posted by BCD 45 View Post
I have one picked out and it's 25+ years old and isn't real pretty but it's the one I'd choose to defend all the people in my life and feel 100% comfortable doing it.
So you gonna make us guess, Jim?

Here's my favorite. Attached is a picture, but don't look at it at work. It's sexy. Almost too sexy. HK45c, fits my hand perfectly. Easy to shoot quickly. Reliable AF. Completing the ensemble is a Milt sparks 55BM. Hella comfortable, easy to draw from, low key concealability.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_9663.jpeg (1.91 MB, 27 views)
BCD 45 likes this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 01:38 AM   #6

Hey Rusty,

It's a caliber I probably wouldn't choose right now but the same pistol as yours but in 40 S&W, the HK USP Compact. It's by far the most reliable pistol I've ever shot no matter what you put in it.

I have the same pistol in all 4 major calibers but the 40 was my 1st and the most fired so it's my choice. Great weapons.

Jim D
RustyIron and DaVinci like this.

Last edited by BCD 45; 02-02-2019 at 03:41 AM.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:44 AM   #7

Rusty,

I just took a closer look at yours and realized that it's not a USP. No matter, they are fine firearms and the 45 caliber is great also.

Has your HK45 got a lem trigger?

Jim D
Chuck43 and RustyIron like this.

Last edited by BCD 45; 02-02-2019 at 03:39 AM.
Old 02-02-2019, 03:29 AM   #8

This is a tough question because I don’t own a handgun, rifle or shotgun that I cannot trust with my life but we have to pick one and I’ll say my P226 Elite Dark 9mm.
Two pistols that are always loaded and I mean with a round chambered in my safe are my wife’s M&P 9(wife’s go to gun) and my P226. The M&P sits in a rack on the top shelf to the far right and the Sig is over to the left one space.
The Sig holds 15+1 and has never had a hiccup. I have also used this pistol in most of the classes I’ve taken. Is not my favorite carry gun but I can carry with confidence. It’s also something my wife could grab and handle with no problem.

I’ll stop here because if I don’t I’m going to have to tell you about my trusty 1911s and M&P 45 with an Apex Trigger.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 05:49 AM   #9

Originally Posted by BCD 45 View Post
I expect to see a lot that prefer revolvers
You may prove to be right, but I expect a forum that's at least 90% devoted to 1911's to be an odd place to expect to see that.

Regardless, my most trusted handgun is my 1st gen 9mm Shield. Thousands of rounds through it from dozens of brands in multiple styles without a single malfunction of any kind, or even so much as a hiccup. Lightly warmed up with Apex internals it runs like a champ, no external safeties to hold things up, four extended mags, big enough to not look silly OWB and small enough to be comfortable IWB in front or back and good holsters in my drawer to carry it multiple ways. At this point it's like a part of my body, definitely the one I reach for all day every day, and the one I would grab if I- God forbid- had to leave all but one behind.
Chuck43 and BCD 45 like this.
JBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 06:07 AM   #10
Super Moderator

If I had to pick only one the most obvious would be the one that I carry everyday. That would be my Kimber Tactical II Ultra .45.
bigdog10, Jflytle, JC45 and 5 others like this.