Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Chuck43
  • 1 Post By Chuck43
  • 1 Post By Albert.Cairns
  • 1 Post By Bigdog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2019, 04:55 AM   #1

Question Syntech Ammunition???

There's probably somewhere but I can't find it.

What do you people think about shooting Federal Syntech ammunition out of your Kimber's? 1st time I've noticed but they've added several Syntech's to their ammo line with flat noses and pretty purple bullets (it says TRAINING AND MATCH) and some of the Syntech line are in weird grains.
I also noticed on some of the boxes shown at Target Sports has a picture of a 1911, I think, and says "Fast Action". Wonder what that means?

Do you think this ammo will help or do nothing for your break-in period?They say it's extremely clean but I wonder what it's like for your barrel and feed ramp? If it's really that clean, I might buy 500 rounds of the 150 grain 9mm to break my Aegis Ultra in.

Has anyone heard what it does as a defensive load, not much I'd guess? Have a good safe week all.

Jim D---

Last edited by BCD 45; 02-04-2019 at 05:04 AM.
BCD 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-04-2019, 06:36 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Never tried it, you can use anything you want in your gun but your owners manual calls for FMJ ammo for break in.
BCD 45 likes this.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:30 AM   #3

Hi Chuck,

Yes sir, I read & know that but Syntech being as new as it is I wondered if it would smooth out your barrel and feed ramp as much? It is a FMJ just covered with a synthetic of some kind and I don't know how thick it is. Kind of be nice to shoot more and clean less.

Jim D

Old 02-04-2019, 07:56 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by BCD 45 View Post
Hi Chuck,

Yes sir, I read & know that but Syntech being as new as it is I wondered if it would smooth out your barrel and feed ramp as much? It is a FMJ just covered with a synthetic of some kind and I don't know how thick it is. Kind of be nice to shoot more and clean less.

Jim D
I don't see how coating a FMJ round with a synthetic solution will improve it's ability to polish your feed ramp unless it has an abrasive in it. I doubt that's the case because that would ruin your barrel.

Shoot more and clean less? I was taught to never put away a dirty gun, you shoot it, you clean it. Properly caring for your equipment is a part of shooting.
Bigdog likes this.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:10 AM   #5

I load SNS Castings poly coated Hardcast lead (pretty much the same as the syntech) It's a hard cast lead 16-18 brn slug with a high tech poly coating. They are much cleaner to shoot and you don't have any copper fouling. Easier on the barrel (less wear), more fps with less powder. As far as polishing anything I couldn't tell any differance from day they were new. Just alot less cleanup, bores clean with one patch.
bhunted likes this.
Albert.Cairns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 01:06 PM   #6

I did try a couple of boxes of 9mm when it first came out. Mostly ran it through my Sig 320 compact. It ran well and shot pretty well too. But after field stripping I found little bits of red plastic throughout the gun. I don't know that they hurt anything but found it disconcerting and annoying. I haven't tried any other calibers or any of the newer stuff. I stick with FMJ or JHP for most shooting these days.

Oh … and have had good luck reloading some of the new Barnes and X-tream plated bullets. I like them too.

Last edited by PaulWVa; 02-04-2019 at 01:10 PM.
PaulWVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 02:43 PM   #7

I have a friend that uses the 9mm 150 gr Syntech in his Competition pistol for USPSA matches. Supposedly the way it's loaded it gives greater knockdown power on the steel plates and poppers with less recoil. Have to hit 'em until they fall over! It is also cleaner (we shoot probably 350 rounds per match).

I asked if he could tell the difference in recoil. His answer was I can when practicing under no pressure, but once the timer goes off, they all feel the same as 124 gr ball.

Not a break in round, as Chuck said.
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:28 PM   #8

Shoot more and clean less? I was taught to never put away a dirty gun, you shoot it, you clean it. Properly caring for your equipment is a part of shooting.[/QUOTE]

Chuck, I think you misunderstood me. I was talking about shooting more at the range & less stopping while at the range to clean. I was a benchrest rifle shooter and my guns don't get put away dirty.

I've got one area of my shop that is dedicated for cleaning only with a cleaning bench and I've probably got more cleaning supplies on or around it than most people will ever buy in a lifetime.

I was just asking a simple question about opinions on syntech ammo and I got the answers I wanted, I won't be buying any. I wasn't asking about "properly caring for your equipment". Thank you all very much.

Jim D

Last edited by BCD 45; 02-04-2019 at 07:37 PM.
BCD 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 11:34 AM   #9

I just got an email from Target Sports that they got the Federal 9mm 147gr. syntech Match-Training TSJ ammo back in stock, $11.99 for a box of 50. This is the newer ones with the bright purple bullets.

I might have to try a couple boxes after all just to see how accurate they are. I'll give them a try in my old USP.

Jim D