Kimber vs. Dan Wesson - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2019, 07:01 AM   #1

Kimber vs. Dan Wesson

Hi folks.

A gentleman is supposed to relief me of 2 of my striker fired pistols this weekend and I'm thinking of adding a small .45 1911 to my collection. I love my Aegis Ultra 9mm that I got a few weeks ago but want to add to it.

I know this Kimber forum is not the place to be asking this but how does Dan Wesson 1911's compare with Kimber 1911's as far as quality, shoot-ability, and reliability goes? I've had my eye on a SS Kimber Raptor Ultra .45 but I really like the looks of the DW ECO .45 also. If I could find a NIB Kimber Tactical Ultra at a fair price, I'd probably stay with Kimber.

Two or three hundred dollars difference doesn't matter to me but quality & being reliable does. Any suggestions or has anyone shot a DW ECO? Thanks guys & gals, I appreciate any help.

Jim D
Old 02-04-2019, 11:44 AM   #2

I have a DW Vigil Commander 9mm and it’s a very nice 1911. I have 4 kimber 1911s and they have all been great. I think DW has a better black finish but as far as reliability they are both very good.
Bigdog and BCD 45 like this.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 01:50 PM   #3

I am going to be polite. I have both brands. Dan Wesson is worth the extra money to me.

David
aqualungs, BCD 45 and 80N53 like this.
David R is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2019, 02:12 PM   #4

Well, everybody who reads my BS posts and comments regularly knows I'm shopping continually. I like the dimensions of the Kimber Ultras better than the comparable DW (Eco) for concealment. The DW adds about 1/4' to the height and 1/2" to the barrel and overall length and they're a wider profile. Some like that balance better. I like the feel of the Ultras I've handled a lot, but both are good pistols. I've yet to handle an Eco. I have had a disappointing experience with the black finish on my Kimber. They fixed it quickly, but I'd probably go stainless on the next one, and I'll handle comparable of any make that's sub $1500, 'cause it's going to be my last one!
BCD 45 likes this.

Last edited by Bigdog; 02-04-2019 at 02:14 PM.
Bigdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 03:02 PM   #5

Hey Jim !

I've got three DW 1911s; ECO, Vigil & Valor all in 9mm. I've not had any issues with any of them. Bought the Vigil and ECO new and the Valor was used - picked it up at Carter's Country. I held a ECO when I was picking up my Wilson Combat ULCC and really liked it. So much so, that I ordered one a few month's later. If I had opportunity to do over, would probably go with the ECO over the WC. Not that there is anything wrong with the WC it was just a lot of $$s to plop down for it.

The grip feel (Compact versions) on the DWs just feel right in my hand. So far the finish has held up fine. I've read on another 1911 forum that some cleaners can have an adverse affect on the finish so if you get one, I'd recommend looking up those that are recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DWs.jpg (153.6 KB, 18 views)
JC45, Bigdog and BCD 45 like this.
Micro 380 Stainless
Micro 9 Stainless
Solo CDP
Tejun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 03:28 PM   #6

Originally Posted by Tejun View Post
Hey Jim

“The grip feel (Compact versions) on the DWs just feel right in my hand. So far the finish has held up fine. I've read on another 1911 forum that some cleaners can have an adverse affect on the finish so if you get one, I'd recommend looking up those that are recommended”.
The grip feel on my Vigil is also very nice. Just feels good in the hand.

You are right about cleaners on the finish. They recommend using FP-10 in the manual. If I’m not mistaken they also recommended Kroil.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 03:57 PM   #7

Originally Posted by JC45 View Post
The grip feel on my Vigil is also very nice. Just feels good in the hand.
I replaced the G10 grips on the ECO with the same grips that come on the Vigil. Those G10s were super aggressive !!
JC45 and BCD 45 like this.
Micro 380 Stainless
Micro 9 Stainless
Solo CDP
Tejun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 04:26 PM   #8

Generally speaking, IMO!, DW is a higher quality than Kimber. Generally speaking, DW is also a significantly more expensive firearm than Kimber. In this case, I generally would say you get what you pay for. Kimber, relatively speaking, does not make a "cheap" gun, so people who don't know just how pricey a 1911 can get think that they are the creme of the crop. What they actually are is a fantastic bargain.
JBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 04:49 PM   #9

Dan Wesson.
ChattanoogaPhil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 06:16 PM   #10

I have 3 Kimber 1911s, All are ultra 2 in 45acp and 1 in 9mm. A little less than a year ago I or should I say my wife bought me a DW eco in 9mm. Great little gun, a notch up from the Kimbers,and shoots better than I. The choice is yours,I suggest going to a ffl and handle both and see which YOU like best. Good luck.
Cybercycle, Bigdog and BCD 45 like this.
427malibu is offline   Reply With Quote