• 3 Post By RustyIron
  • 1 Post By BCD 45
  • 1 Post By JC45
  • 4 Post By Chuck43
  • 3 Post By Bigdog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2019, 08:39 PM   #1

9mm range day today......not as good as could be

Well, decided to have a 9mm range day and took the Micro 9 STG and the Ultra CDPII(9mm) with some Armscor 124gr. ball and HST 124gr.

Started with 40 rds Armscor through the CDPII. Flawless and very accurate as I expected. Next was 35 rounds Armscor through the Micro 9. First round, bye bye front sight fiber optic sight insert..... the three light primer strikes . All three fired the second time they were hit. Loaded up 40 rds HST for the Ultra and the remaining ten for the Micro. The Micro fired them all without issue, but had two nosedive FTF with the Ultra. I noted which magazines they were in and will have to test a bit more.

Things I learned:

1.) The Micro 9 is NOT a range gun. It beats me up pretty good. I shoot it well, but it is NOT fun......

2) I think I like the fiber optic front sight better WITHOUT the fiber optic insert....seems to be MUCH more clear to my old eyes.....(this may change as I have an appointment scheduled to explore different prescriptions in each eye to help with shooting).

3) I'm not sure what to think about the Ultra having the nose dives....It was perfect with the Armscor.....more shooting/observation needed.

And one question:

1) Does the Armscor possibly have hard primers? The Ultra had no issue, but three light strikes in 35 rounds with the Micro???? Apples and Oranges, I know, due to different hammers, firing pins and springs......

YMMV

Lon

PS As far as accuracy, I have always been blessed with being a good shot, but ALL of my Kimbers make me look GOOD.....
Tejun and cousinmark like this.
Teufelhunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-04-2019, 11:25 PM   #2

Originally Posted by Teufelhunde View Post
2) I think I like the fiber optic front sight better WITHOUT the fiber optic insert....seems to be MUCH more clear to my old eyes.
I've given up on fiberoptics. I put a high-zoot set on nice gun, but after a year, I still didn't like them as much as the factory three-dot tritiums. Took 'em off and threw 'em in a corner.

As for the failures to fire, I'd first yank the firing pin and make sure everything is clean and dry.
Chuck43, Tejun and Teufelhunde like this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 12:57 AM   #3

I like the fiber optics on my new Aegis Ultra 9mm, nice sight picture, but if they fly off at the range while shooting I'll be one PO'd hombre. What you have going on is sure strange. First one Kimber then the other. I've heard that some Kimber's don't work well with HST's but that's just hearsay.

My buddy said his Kimber Ultra shot Golden Saber HP's from day one with the same results as with FMJ's, zero malfunctions. Golden Saber's don't get very much talk so I don't know how they are for SD.

Jim D
Teufelhunde likes this.

Old 02-05-2019, 03:54 AM   #4

Originally Posted by BCD 45 View Post
I like the fiber optics on my new Aegis Ultra 9mm, nice sight picture, but if they fly off at the range while shooting I'll be one PO'd hombre. What you have going on is sure strange. First one Kimber then the other. I've heard that some Kimber's don't work well with HST's but that's just hearsay.

My buddy said his Kimber Ultra shot Golden Saber HP's from day one with the same results as with FMJ's, zero malfunctions. Golden Saber's don't get very much talk so I don't know how they are for SD.

Jim D
Golden Saber has always been great for me.
Teufelhunde likes this.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 05:15 AM   #5
Super Moderator

I agree with RustyIron, pull and clean the firing pin, firing pin spring and the slot it rides in. DO NOT OIL THE FIRING PIN when you reassemble it. Remember you never oil your firing pin.

Chuck43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 06:19 AM   #6

On the fiber optic sights...I run a front one on my USPSA pistol, but I also carry a kit to put a new one in (eezy-peezy) -- Fiber optic rods of the right diameter, small nail clippers and a lighter-- in case one breaks during a match. I have 20 minutes between stages to tinker. It has only happened once in 20 matches.

Carry guns, I wouldn't use them. There's no time to fix sights on a carry gun.

As to visibility for old eyes it depends on the color. Red is best for me. Green blends into the trees and grass on our berm, and yellow, ehh!
Teufelhunde, BCD 45 and 1000RR like this.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:03 PM   #7

While fiberoptics are visible, they DO NOT contribute to weapon reliability when the sights pop out.

The engineers need to come up with a better fix for those wanting fiberoptics.
Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:53 PM   #8

Gave the Micro a cleaning today, and took the firing pin out to have a look see. It did have a wee bit of moisture (either oil or solvent) in there, but not bad. It is dry as a bone now, we'll see how it does next time out. Next time I will also take a box of something other than Armscor as well as the Armscor.........It just might be the ammo......

Lon
Teufelhunde is offline   Reply With Quote