Practicing self defense shooting - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2019, 11:46 PM   #1

Practicing self defense shooting

I'm curious about styles of shooting in practice for self defense. By that I mean a torso size target at 5-15 yards and drawing from a holster and firing safely as fast as you can.

My main question is do you take time to use the sights on the gun or just point shoot? I love to shoot period end and enjoy taking my time and target shooting but I always end my sessions practicing self defense.

For me that means drawing and firing my gun from about chest high without the use of sights. I'm not even aware that the pistol has sights. I try to practice this my last 100 rounds of the day and have done so many years. Point shooting has just become second nature to me and at 7-10 yards my shots are almost as good as when using the sights on the gun. Also shooting like this the trigger is not an issue at all.

I was just curious if anyone else practices like this, without using the guns sights? Have a great day and weekend people.

Jim D
Old 02-07-2019, 05:21 AM   #2

I'm an adherent of aimed fire. I think the "chemical dump" gets to all of us. My defensive pistol is a P238 with highly visible sights, and I intend to use the front sight, although I think an "exit" is better idea.
DaveinNC, wayne and BCD 45 like this.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:26 AM   #3

A lot of ranges frown upon and have rules against drawing from holster and firing weapon.
Chuck43, wayne and BCD 45 like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2019, 10:03 AM   #4

Thanks Arland but around here there's bunches of places to shoot besides at a private/public range.

Jim D
Old 02-07-2019, 10:15 AM   #5

I do all my practice in the eastern Orygun outback in the sage and junipers not far from home. No humans about, just me and my guns (and a few deer, antelope, jackrabbits and such). No twenty-somethings with their AK's and AR's spewing brass on me with full mag dumps. And when finished, all the brass is mine!

I ALWAYS use the front sight, always. We were taught that in every defensive pistol class I've ever taken. As has been mentioned, when the chemical dump happens, we need all the help we can muster.

I shoot my steel falling plates at close to 'far' distances, and hammer my gong as fast as I can align the sights and find that front sight. Been a very long time since I've ever had to draw and use my weapon (thank God!), but I like to think I'm in good enough practice to be effective if ever called on again to use it.

Shooting well is a perishable skill. It pays to keep your skills honed any way you can.
2sharp2, Bigdog, wayne and 2 others like this.
Rick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:08 AM   #6

That's a nice range, Rick. I have plenty of land but can't afford the steel.
JimmyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:07 PM   #7

Originally Posted by JimmyK View Post
That's a nice range, Rick. I have plenty of land but can't afford the steel.
Shop around, I think I got these AR500 8" plates from Shootsteel.com. plus the local lumber yard there's less than $200 in this hanger rack.
Rick in Oregon likes this.
Albert.Cairns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:09 PM   #8

Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JimmyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:39 PM   #9

Originally Posted by BCD 45 View Post
Thanks Arland but around here there's bunches of places to shoot besides at a private/public range.

Jim D
Understood not that readily available around here, I don't have the land.

Love to have Rick's desert range available anytime.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 03:05 PM   #10

OK first off if you really want to practice for self defense, forget about the "5 to 15 yard" thing. Place your targets at random distances, run them, then move them. Stop pacing off yardage. Place some targets higher, some lower, then change them again.

In our old IPSC club matches at times would start some courses where you had to place your gun hand on the target 2 to 3 feet. On the whistle you draw, hip or point shoot, then MOVE, get off the "X". Move left or right, move back to cover then engage the target again. Set targets at different distances from your cover, (barrels, boxes, old car body) engage a short target from the left side, MOVE, engage a more distance target from the right side MOVE. Shoot, MOVE, reload, shoot, MOVE... Being stationary is being a target.

Practice your draw an shoot sometimes one shot on one target, sometimes double tap sometimes double tap two targets at two different distances change things up. Real life is not a target range.

Don't forget to run some of the ammo that you carry. It often feels and shoots different from range ammo.

These are the practices of real self defense not target shooting. Now I know some of us getting older (with bad knees) and can't do this stuff all afternoon but do what you can. Go shoot an IPSC, IDPA or USPSA match in your area it's good practice for shooting under pressure. Many have Senior Divisions for us old farts. Shooting under a stop watch, in front of a bunch of people will get the heart rate up and adrenalin pumping.
JCBnPHX, DeOlMan, WillyD and 4 others like this.
PaulWVa is online now   Reply With Quote