Which to buy: 9mm vs. .45 - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree84Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2019, 09:36 AM   #1

Which to buy: 9mm vs. .45

Hello. I do not want to start a caliber debate on effectiveness but I'm going to purchase a pro/commander size 1911 with an aluminum frame, about 29 ounces unloaded, and I can't decide on 9mm or .45. Also price of ammo is not a factor. This will not be a carry weapon either, maybe a hidden house gun, but mainly just to shoot.

At 29-30 oz. for the gun + 10 rounds of ammo will the 1911 .45 be really snappy with standard pressure ammo? I'm leaning towards the .45 since I don't have one in .45 but I want to be able to handle it with the few disabilities I have. I have no problem with 9mm +P ammo if that helps any. Thank you.

Jim D
Old 02-11-2019, 09:40 AM   #2

If I were you I would try to find one to rent at a range regardless of brand the recoil from the same length barrel and 45 should be the same. I just recently purchased a 3 inch 1911 in 45 ACP expecting it to be a very punishing recoil but was pleasantly surprised that it was not bad.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:29 AM   #3

I have a lightweight Ruger 9mm 1911 Commander, and it is a pleasure to shoot. It and my Pro Carry HDII 38 Super are comparable in function, recoil and accuracy -- which basically means they are both fantastic!!

I find that standard pressure 147 grain 9mm rounds are softer shooting in my carry guns than 124+p's -- you might want to try different ammo as well as different calibers.

My Commander size 45's, which are all steel, mostly shoot like my full size 1911's.
PaulWVa and BCD 45 like this.

Old 02-11-2019, 11:06 AM   #4

Jim, I am .45 fanboy all the way. Even with your disabilities I think the Pro model in 45 has enough weight to not be a problem for you.
Cuca had a good idea about trying to shoot one before purchase.
If we lived closer you could try one of mine.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
Old 02-11-2019, 11:51 AM   #5

Originally Posted by BCD 45 View Post
Hello. I do not want to start a caliber debate on effectiveness but I'm going to purchase a pro/commander size 1911 with an aluminum frame, about 29 ounces unloaded, and I can't decide on 9mm or .45. Also price of ammo is not a factor. This will not be a carry weapon either, maybe a hidden house gun, but mainly just to shoot.

At 29-30 oz. for the gun + 10 rounds of ammo will the 1911 .45 be really snappy with standard pressure ammo? I'm leaning towards the .45 since I don't have one in .45 but I want to be able to handle it with the few disabilities I have. I have no problem with 9mm +P ammo if that helps any. Thank you.

Jim D
Steel frame 1911 in whatever caliber best fits your criteria.

Heavier steel frame is going to making shooting more enjoyable which will translate to better shooting and even more enjoyment. Lighter aluminum frames are better suited for carry.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:03 PM   #6

For practical home defense purposes I've gone 9mm myself. Less flash and sound. I know it's not too much less but less...
On a related note, A few months ago I met the Sheriff of an area outside of Charlotte. He said their department had switched to the HK USP45s as a sidearm. When I asked why .45? He said after an incident where 9mm shots were fired at a windshield they found several bullets laying harmlessly on the dash!!!
...unless you for see needing to penetrate more than a jacket I think the 9 should be fine. JMO
Old 02-11-2019, 12:06 PM   #7

I guess I'm sorta sitting on the fence on this one. I love shooting my .45s but my last two 1911 purchases were 9mms. Both full size guns for competition. A Kimber Target II and a Colt Competition Model. Mainly because I knew if I was going to shoot them a lot they would be easier on my hands and my wallet.

My .45s always find their way to the range and I did just buy a 1000 rounds of food for them. But if I was going to buy an alloy frame, commander size gun for myself I would probably go 9mm. And I have been thinking about adding a sixth 1911 to my collection, it may just be a 9mm, alloy Commander. My 2 cents.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:40 PM   #8

Originally Posted by PaulWVa View Post
But if I was going to buy an alloy frame, commander size gun for myself … I would probably go 9mm. And I have been thinking about adding a sixth 1911 to my collection, it may just be a 9mm, alloy Commander. My 2 cents.
That pretty much fits my situation also. My last two Kimber purchases were both 9mm.

I've got a Pro CDP-II in .45, had it for years, but I just ordered a new Pro CDP in 9mm. That 1911 'completes' my pseudo collection of Kimbers in both calibers in all three frame sizes and barrel lengths = six Kimbers.

But as a lifelong .45 fan, I've found in the past three years that for all the shooting I do, the nine is just more pleasant to shoot, not to mention mucho cheaper.

And as far as a carry caliber, with the vast improvements in 9mm defensive ammo, I no longer feel undergunned if I carry one of my nines. But life is short and nice pistols make me smile, so I have both.
2sharp2, OLE442, PaulWVa and 2 others like this.

Last edited by Rick in Oregon; 02-11-2019 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:56 PM   #9
Super Moderator

This is a question only you can answer, it's hard enough to recommend a caliber choice for people but for someone with a disability, impossible. We have no idea of your limits or abilities. This is something you have to work out for yourself. Cucamonga kid gave you the best advice, visit a range where you can rent some guns and see what you're comfortable shooting.
2sharp2, OLE442, JC45 and 2 others like this.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:09 PM   #10

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
This is a question only you can answer, it's hard enough to recommend a caliber choice for people but for someone with a disability, impossible. We have no idea of your limits or abilities. This is something you have to work out for yourself. Cucamonga kid gave you the best advice, visit a range where you can rent some guns and see what you're comfortable shooting.

Really I agree with Chuck, he nailed it! My answer to you was mostly what I would do, just to give you an answer.
Chuck43, PaulWVa and BCD 45 like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)