8 round magazines - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2019, 03:37 AM   #1

8 round magazines

I have a TLE II full size custom. I bought three 8 round Kimber Pro Tac Mags to go with it. My issue with them is when fully loaded with 8 rounds and do a press check of the slide to make sure a round is in the chamber the slide sticks open. So this got me worried about feeding issues. Sure enough it fails to feed every so often. If I load it with 7 there are no issues... Kinda defeats the purpose of having an 8 round mag though.

I had heard Kimbers were picky about magazines but I figured buying Kimber mags would prevent that issue.

Any ideas? Anybody else have this issue or different 8 round mags that don't do this?
3302michael@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-02-2019, 03:44 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum from Northeast, Pa. Sorry I don’t have an answer for you. I haven’t had any issues with my Kimber, Wilson Combat or Joe’s 8 round magazines.
2sharp2 likes this.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 04:24 AM   #3

I haven't had any problems with my 8 round kim pro mags
2sharp2 likes this.
JAB1962 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2019, 05:02 AM   #4

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
If I load it with 7 there are no issues...
Years ago, (I had just shot and cleaned a woolly mammoth, re-iced the igloo and settled down with a gun a magazine), and I was reading an article by a 1911 expert. He proffered that the farther you got away from the original design of the pistol, the more apt you were to having stoppages.

He had no use for shorter barrels, lighter frames and larger magazines.

Now, while shorter barreled pistols feed better now due to ramped barrels, the magazine issue always concerned me. That's because even a standard magazine is 90% responsible for stoppages.

I use Wilson-Rogers 7 round magazines, and instead of using a larger magazine, I just carry spares. I cannot remember a stoppage.
bhunted likes this.
Old 03-02-2019, 05:41 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum [email protected], I have about 25 KimPro Tac-Mags and have never had a problem with any of them.

Use the LOADED CHAMBER INDICATOR PORT to determine if a round is chambered. That's the small opening on the top of the barrel hood, it provides a visual indication as to whether or not a round is in the chamber. When a round is in the chamber, you should be able to see the rim of the shell casing.

How about stopping by our "New Member Introduction" sub forum and introducing yourself to the membership?
2sharp2, The Tourist and JC45 like this.
Old 03-02-2019, 06:39 AM   #6

I'll have to check, but I have two KimPro Tac Mags, they're just mixed around among the Wilson-Roger magazines.

They are all 7-round affairs, and if one of them ever produces a stoppage, it's rotated out until I discern why.

So far, not even a minor problem.

Edit: BTW, I have the original blue magazine that came with my UC2. It looks terrible, but it's never failed me.
Old 03-02-2019, 09:53 AM   #7

I have 10 Tac-mags in .45, and 10 in 9mm.

The 45's have never failed in my Tactical Custom HD II, Tactical Pro II, Raptor Custom II. The 9's have never failed in my wife's Sapphire Pro II.

For that matter, neither have any of the original blued steel mags.

Sorry I can't help.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:19 PM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to krunchnik
I have a Para Ordnance Expert Carry that absolutely will not feed the first round of an 8 rounder-I have 3 Wilson 47D that I bought the military follower and spring kit for the 7 round-have had zero problems now.My Kimber Super Carry will always feed OK with an 8 round mag.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:26 PM   #9

This is why we must test everything, even blades. We trust our lives to this stuff--as well as the lives of our spouses.

I have pictures buried here somewhere of my first Kimber. I stripped it down and looked for every scratch or rough spot. Then I went to Gander Mountain and fired several boxes of hardball.

It has never had a stoppage, but how do you know until you test it?
Old 03-02-2019, 12:43 PM   #10

My Kim Pro Tac-Mags have been flawless.
Hawker800 is offline   Reply With Quote