Springfield TRP vs Kimber Tactical custom - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2019, 07:36 AM   #1

Springfield TRP vs Kimber Tactical custom

I'm debating vs the two guns for my very first 1911. I've seen both and have shot other brands of 1911. It's main use will be for carry or home defense, and of course to show off!!!! One's obviously more expensive than the other. THe prices i'm getting out here is ~$1400 for the TRP amory kote vs. ~$900-1000 for the tactical. price is obviously a big difference.

Buy anybody own any of these two or both to tell me the difference between them. I've looked to see if they have these to test out and shoot, but being such high end guns I doubt I'll be able to test before buying.
Love Kimberly is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-04-2019, 07:51 AM   #2

Without knowing which 1911 Kimber, I'd say the TRP.... Any full size down to the 3" 1911 Kimbers are great. Maybe take a look at the Kimber Ultra line. Easier to conceal and lighter...

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - ANJRPC - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
bhunted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 10:35 AM   #3

Originally Posted by bhunted View Post
Without knowing which 1911 Kimber, I'd say the TRP.... Any full size down to the 3" 1911 Kimbers are great. Maybe take a look at the Kimber Ultra line. Easier to conceal and lighter...
John, OP is asking in the title of the post to chose between the TRP and a Kimber Tactical Custom which is of course full size 1911.

Gold Combat LE
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
CDP Ultra
Raptor Ultra Stainless
RCP Ultra
SIS Custom
SIS Pro
SIS Ultra
TLE Pro (TFS)
Stainless Raptor
Custom Two Tone .45/460 Rowland
Super Carry Ultra Plus
84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2019, 10:51 AM   #4

Pretty sure I saw this exact same question over on 1911Addicts forum. I will answer here also. I don't own a TRP. I think the TRP is a good pistol but I feel overpriced. Tactical model line has been discontinued so depending on your source prices could be all over the map, you could find one in the 800-900 range or over 1K. I would pick the Kimber if I had to choose between the two you listed.
Full size 1911's make fine range and home defense pistol's and many people have no problem CC'ing a full size 1911 but I wouldn't recommend a full size. There's a good chance you will stop or not carry it when you need it.
Best compromise would be a Kimber Pro model of your liking, or the ultimate carry pistol IMO one of the many Ultra size Kimber models.
ChattanoogaPhil likes this.

Gold Combat LE
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
CDP Ultra
Raptor Ultra Stainless
RCP Ultra
SIS Custom
SIS Pro
SIS Ultra
TLE Pro (TFS)
Stainless Raptor
Custom Two Tone .45/460 Rowland
Super Carry Ultra Plus
84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 11:24 AM   #5
Super Moderator

I don't own a Kimber Tactical Custom but my EDC is a Tactical Ultra. I think the Tactical line is the best equipped gun Kimber ever made. It has almost every option that Kimber has ever offered on a 1911. The only one it lacks is the rear sight with a cocking shoulder.

Chuck43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 02:51 PM   #6

Me personally, I don't touch anything with Springfield on it. Screw em.
Albert.Cairns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 03:54 PM   #7

What did Springfield do wrong, I know there was a story behind it I just don't remember what they did.
JAB1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 05:58 PM   #8

I don’t own either model you’re looking at but do own several Kimbers and two Springfields. Honestly they’re both excellent. It really comes down to features you want and cosmetics. I have a Kimber Ultra 45, Pro TLE 45 and 5” Eclipse 38 super. I have two Springfields, one custom built 45 on a mill spec frame that doesn’t resemble the original gun any longer and a 5” stainless RO with target sights in 9mm.

Probably the 9mm RO has the best trigger out of the box but not by much. Kimber makes pretty guns with the Eclipse being the best looking IMO. Kimber are tighter guns but the Springfields are tight as well.

I like steel frames with a checkered front strap. The TLE Pro is all steel and very good checkering and the Eclipse is all stainless with excellent checkering. Actually the fit and finish on the Eclipse is up there with my custom guns. On second thought the Eclipse Target trigger is as good as the SA and not far benind my custom guns.

SA has very few guns with checkered front straps but they make more all steel guns. Checkering can be added later or you can use rubber wrap around grips as I do on my Ultra.

They’re all enjoyable to shoot. Out of this group I only carry the Ultra. It’s very accurate and enjoyable to shoot as are the others.

You can’t go wrong with either.

I’ll add one more little comment. I have a Colt LW SXE Commander in 38 super. It’s nowhere as tight as SA or especially Kimber. Finish and blending aren’t nearly as nice as either of the others. Kimber is nicely blended with rounded edges and corners. SA is blended but not to the degree the Kimber is but it’s very nice. The Colt has sharp edges and the slide and bushing are loose. The Colt would chew up a leather holster quickly. It’s not what I expected out of Colt to be honest.
.38SuperMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 06:03 PM   #9

Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post
John, OP is asking in the title of the post to chose between the TRP and a Kimber Tactical Custom which is of course full size 1911.

Opps, my bad. Donít recall it saying that. Ah! He changed it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

John, aka BHunted

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
Old 03-04-2019, 06:10 PM   #10

Springfield TRP vs Kimber Tactical custom

Originally Posted by Albert.Cairns View Post
Me personally, I don't touch anything with Springfield on it. Screw em.
You not buying one will not stop people. They are great guns.

Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post
Pretty sure I saw this exact same question over on 1911Addicts forum. I will answer here also. I don't own a TRP. I think the TRP is a good pistol but I feel overpriced. Tactical model line has been discontinued so depending on your source prices could be all over the map, you could find one in the 800-900 range or over 1K. I would pick the Kimber if I had to choose between the two you listed.
Full size 1911's make fine range and home defense pistol's and many people have no problem CC'ing a full size 1911 but I wouldn't recommend a full size. There's a good chance you will stop or not carry it when you need it.
Best compromise would be a Kimber Pro model of your liking, or the ultimate carry pistol IMO one of the many Ultra size Kimber models.

Guess I wonít mention a Nighthawk then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

John, aka BHunted

Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II