Puzzled about the Evo - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2019, 09:43 AM   #1

Puzzled about the Evo

I'm not trying to start an argument or in any way be anti-Kimber, but I am puzzled why Kimber would come out with the Evo.

Kimber is well known for it's "near high end" 1911's and similar form factors (Micro and Micro 9). Meanwhile, whatever you think of S&W, Sig, Ruger, Springfield Armory and the others, the market is flooded with small 9mm carry pistols that perform perfectly, are comfortable to carry and have capacities ranging from 6 up to 10 rounds. So why would Kimber put its reputation on the line again (Solo) to come out with a pistol that costs twice as much as most of the others, and is differentiated only by an alloy frame?

Unlike some of you, I have only two Kimbers, a Classic Stainless from the 90s which was is still the best stock (non-custom) 1911 I've ever shot, and a Micro 9, which I like and carry almost every day, but...for the curious, I also carry a S&W Shield 9 or 45 (have both), and a Ruger Lightweight Commander 1911. The two Shields conceal almost as well as the Micro 9, and neither has ever had a single malfunction in 1000's of rounds. I can't say that for the Micro 9, although it's been fine since round 300 or so.

Personally, I'd like to see Kimber streamline their product choices some and return to the quality (no offense intended) that they had when they produced the Classic Stainless and its brothers and had everyone in the 1911 world going "wow", not because of their looks, but because of their out of the box function and accuracy.

Sorry about the length of this post...
DaVinci likes this.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:34 AM   #2

Because they think people will buy them. And they will.

Marketing people donít live in reality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick in Oregon, Bigdog and Karens like this.
Marty8613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:25 PM   #3

Originally Posted by Marty8613 View Post
Because they think people will buy them. And they will.

Marketing people donít live in reality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree that people will buy them. I disagree that "marketing people don't live in reality" The "reality" of todays gun market place is "concealed carry / self defense". No one is pushing full size 1911s for concealed carry Ö they'd go broke. Yes we all love our 1911s but few want to carry around that size and weight all day long, to work, or to do the shopping. Yeah, yeah I know, some commandos out there claim to only carry a full size .45 and nothing else Ö frankly I have better choices.

That's why Micros sell, polymer guns sell, 380s sell. Sig, Glock, Ruger, S&W, Taurus, SKKY, HK, Walther and even Mossberg all make small easy to carry / conceal .380s and 9mms because that is what's in demand today. Kimber must cater to the market just like everybody else.

Have you seen the new Lamborghini SUV? Or the Porche, BMW, Mercedes Benz? Marketing knows exactly what they're doing.... making what people want to buy.
2sharp2, 46QJI, cousinmark and 3 others like this.
PaulWVa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2019, 02:50 PM   #4

Someone famous once said "give the people what they want". There's a niche that want stuff that's more dressy (I think SnoTao just bought a few Sapphire .380s), small and striker fired. The EVO fits the bill. Most of the other striker fired stuff out there is more tactical looking. I would be interested to find if the EVO is a clone of something on the inside? Maybe one of the Kahr models???
Bigdog likes this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 03:12 PM   #5

I think sales will be slow on this after the Solo.

Marketing often dreams up good ideas for engineers to design without understanding their marketplace. This is not limited to Kimber.
Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:49 PM   #6

Originally Posted by Bigdog View Post
So why would Kimber put its reputation on the line again (Solo) to come out with a pistol that costs twice as much as most of the others, and is differentiated only by an alloy frame?

Because small striker-fired pistols are smokin' hot right now--hotter than a two-dollar pistol. Kimber wants a piece of that action.

If they're going to jump into that market and be successful, they MUST differentiate themselves from the competition. It makes sense that Kimber would do so in a way that blends with their current lineup. Alloy frames and good looks are what Kimber is known for, and the Evo continues with that theme.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:03 PM   #7

Time will tell can't wait to get one..
Bigdog likes this.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:20 PM   #8

Originally Posted by cousinmark View Post
Someone famous once said "give the people what they want". There's a niche that want stuff that's more dressy (I think SnoTao just bought a few Sapphire .380s), small and striker fired. The EVO fits the bill. Most of the other striker fired stuff out there is more tactical looking. I would be interested to find if the EVO is a clone of something on the inside? Maybe one of the Kahr models???

Sorry Cuz, the Micro Sapphire 380 is NOT striker fired.
Elapid, rasconc, PaulWVa and 1 others like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 06:26 PM   #9

I streamlined my Kimbers. I found one that worked--then I kept it.

Did you know that I have to spend almost 200 bucks on a switchblade that's as dangerous as a Kimber?!

Sometimes I don't know which one to pull first.

I mean, one is for expediency, the other is a gun...
PaulWVa and Bigdog like this.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:32 PM   #10

I get it, but I’m still hoping Kimber doesn’t go too far away from its base. They’re doing great with the revolver line, and still make great 1911s, but I think the striker fired market is really crowded, and getting really price competitive. Even Sig is entering the more affordable price range. Fingers crossed!
PaulWVa likes this.

Search tags for this page

kimber evo sp reviews

Click on a term to search for related topics.