Wilson Combat extended slide release problem - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2019, 01:19 PM   #1

Wilson Combat extended slide release problem

Today I installed a WC extended slide release on my Pro Carry II. Unfortunately for some reason it doesn't work and to make things worse it scratched the finish on the frame. I took some material of the inside part of the release pin with a file and polished it with a really fine sandpaper and it still doesn't work. Any ideas what else I could do to make it work?

Last edited by SpecCop; 04-13-2019 at 07:38 AM.
SpecCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-28-2019, 01:47 PM   #2

For a start I'd compare it to the original Kimber part and see if you can identify a difference somewhere?
2sharp2 likes this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 04:17 PM   #3

I'm no gunsmith, so you probably don't want to read any further.

First, I'd look at the scratch, and find the corresponding area on the slide release and address that. You don't want to make the scratch any worse.

Then I'd remove the slide and install the slide release. Does it move up and down freely? Does the spring pull it back down like it should? If the answer is no to either of those questions, you need to figure out why.

Now install a magazine and go through it all again, but the slide release should be pushed up this time. If not, fix it.

If all that is good, you can install the assembled slide and see what happens. Eventually you'll reach the point where everything appears to be functional, until it isn't. And that will be the clue that you need to investigate.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2019, 05:24 PM   #4

Pics would be good to help diagnose.
46QJI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 05:38 AM   #5

I think the problem might be visible in the last picture where you can see the difference in the gap size between the frame and the slide release lever.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (149.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (155.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 9.jpg (87.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 10.jpg (80.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 11.jpg (159.1 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by SpecCop; 03-31-2019 at 05:41 AM.
Old 03-30-2019, 05:43 AM   #6

I tried taking off some material on the inside of the lever but it's still not locking the slide on the empty magazine(first pic).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12.jpg (139.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (104.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (86.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (100.5 KB, 8 views)
Old 04-02-2019, 11:13 PM   #7

I have the Wilson extended slide releases on most of my 1911's, including my Pro Carry HD II, and they have worked well for me.

You might try posting this over to the Gunsmith category and see if you can get any insight into the problem.
Old 04-03-2019, 05:52 AM   #8

Originally Posted by SpecCop View Post
I tried taking off some material on the inside of the lever but it's still not locking the slide on the empty magazine(first pic).
Does it lock back if you insert an empty mag and cycle the slide? If it does it on an empty mag while hand cycling, but won’t lock back while shooting, odds are one of your thumbs is riding the extended slide stop preventing the follower from locking it back. If it doesn’t lock back at all, it looks like the extended slide stop may be just a little longer from the slide stop hole to the plunger. If you can measure it, and that is the case, you could try slowly removing some material from the end that contacts the plunger until the magazine locks it back as it should.

Last edited by 46QJI; 04-03-2019 at 06:05 AM.
46QJI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 07:39 AM   #9

Originally Posted by 46QJI View Post
If it doesn’t lock back at all, it looks like the extended slide stop may be just a little longer from the slide stop hole to the plunger. If you can measure it, and that is the case, you could try slowly removing some material from the end that contacts the plunger until the magazine locks it back as it should.
I was wondering about that that too from the picture of the wear pattern on the end of the slide stops -- looks like the extended one is tighter to the plunger.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:27 AM   #10

Also, it looks tighter to the frame at the plunger end.
I'd be tempted to remove some material and smooth the point where the release contacts the frame at the plunger end - I suspect that's what's causing your scratch. I suspect the longer length is what's preventing proper function.
It also appears that the - I'm not sure what to call it, "pin"?, "cam"?, "axle"? - diameter may be smaller - although that should make it "loose". But if it's tighter up against the plunger it will negate the effect of the smaller diameter.
TequilaWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote