What .380 ammo do you shoot. - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2019, 08:46 PM   #1

What .380 ammo do you shoot.

I heard a guy say that he shoots FMJ in his .380 for self defense. He said that it is better penetration for this small caliber. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? I use Sig hollow point. What are your thoughts?
Bear604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-29-2019, 09:09 PM   #2

Hornady Critical Defense
Old 03-29-2019, 09:14 PM   #3

It's been posted here somewhere, probably in the Micro area. There's a video review of numerous options. It was imported from YouTube.
Personally I keep Fiocchi Extrema 90gr XTP on hand for a carry option. I've never had a failure with it in my Micro Carry. Same goes for the Hornady 90gr XTP option, it too has a name but I can't recall what it is.

...Ahhh, Critical Defense I think that's what it's called. Thanks Big Sky :-)
Bear604 likes this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2019, 09:59 PM   #4

Originally Posted by Bear604 View Post
What are your thoughts?
I think that's a legit decision. I carry Critical Defense, but can't say if yours or mine is better. Many years ago there was an article, it might have been Massad Ayoob. Anyway, the dude was the expert witness in a homicide trial. The defendant was a regular guy who was attacked and shot the perpetrator. He claimed self defense. The DA claimed he shot the guy in the back.

The expert witness argued that the medical examiner erred in his conclusion because the defendant was shooting ball ammo. Sometimes with ball ammo it's hard to tell the difference between an entrance and exit wound. The takeaway is that expanding projectiles are a far better choice from a legal perspective.
Bear604 likes this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 10:07 PM   #5

For the range my 95 grain hand loads with xtreme copper plated flat nose.
For Defense the Hornady Custom XTP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bear604 likes this.
Albert.Cairns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 03:55 AM   #6

I also carry Hornady Critical Defense.

Not only for the lethality of the cartridge, but because that little red ball in the hollowpoint might make feeding easier in a crisis.
phil evans and Bear604 like this.
Old 03-30-2019, 04:38 AM   #7

My LCP is loaded with Hornady Critical Defense. I chose it simply because when I was researching the LCP prior to purchase folks overwhelming reported that they had zero reliability issues with it.

That said, I'm not much of a designer ammo fanatic. This guy did a lot of testing with a 2.8in barrel TCP (same length as my LCP). He put Hornady Critical Defense in the "never use" category, and the XTP bullet in the "winners circle".

Final Results of the .380 ACP Ammo Quest | Shooting The Bull
Bear604 likes this.

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 03-30-2019 at 04:43 AM.
ChattanoogaPhil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 04:46 AM   #8

I also carry my .380 with the Hornady CD. Pink ball, not red, because I want to help save the ta-tas. That said- while it's hardly a real penetration test- my Perfecta FMJ practice ammo and the CD both easily punch through high quality 3/4" plywood at ten yards, so. I dunno. I don't want to get hit with either one.
Bear604 likes this.
JBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 05:35 AM   #9

It is a common idea that the .380 is marginal for self defense, thus the "ball ammo" thinking comes up. I disagree with that approach. I also disagree with the idea a .380 is inadequate for self defense.

Surely most would agree that ball ammo is far less effective than good hollow points for stopping an attack. Why then would you take a cartridge that is already on the low end of the power spectrum and further handicap it with ball ammo? Makes no sense to me.

My carry ammo in .380 is hot Underwood +P 90 grain Hornady XTP.
Bear604 likes this.

"If you want peace, prepare for war."
KCJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 05:41 AM   #10

I think it's the argument of stopping power vs. penetration. Two things can be true at the same time, but without doing a whole lot of research one could decide to prioritize one over the other... or at least think they are.
WillyD, WillyD and Bear604 like this.
JBear is offline   Reply With Quote