Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Kimber Forum Discussions > Kimber Talk

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By RustyIron
  • 1 Post By Retail1LO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2019, 04:13 PM   #1

Racking question on my Micro 9 Nightfall

Good evening ladies and gentlemen. I recently traded in my Micro 9 with Crimson Trace laser grip for the Nightfall with the day/night sights and the Hogue grip. I simply didn't find the laser to be particularly pertinent, and like the trip the Nightfall has, especially with the 7-round mags with the Hogue foot plate for an extra finger groove.

At any rate, I noticed on my first Micro 9, when I put a new magazine in it, racking the slide was pretty straight forward and chambered the first round of the magazine. However, on the Nightfall, whenever I go to rack the slide, the mechanism on the left hand side that holds the slide open automatically engages. Unless I hold that down, it'll catch every time. This didn't occur on my first Micro 9.

Is this something unique to the Nightfall? Is there some brain dead simple thing I'm forgetting?

Thanks...and please be kind if I'm being an absolute dumbass. I'm new to all of this. Not just this particular firearm, but firearms in general. Thank you kindly in advance for your responses.
Retail1LO is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-09-2019, 04:26 PM   #2

If you push up on the slide release does it want to go back down by itself? What I mean is does it feel as if the spring is engaged correctly with the slide stop?
Old 04-09-2019, 04:29 PM   #3

I think the most likely cause would be that the spring isn't holding the slide stop down. If you remove the magazine and pull the slide back, the spring should be holding the slide stop down.

If you insert and empty magazine, the follower will push the slide stop UP.

If both of the above are true, and a FULL magazine pushed the slide stop up, there's a chance you're using ammo with a strangely shaped projectile. In that case, try different ammo. Since you're an admitted beginner, I'll point out the obvious: If you're experimenting with live ammo, be careful you don't negligently discharge the firearm.
2sharp2 and Retail1LO like this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2019, 06:00 PM   #4

Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
I think the most likely cause would be that the spring isn't holding the slide stop down. If you remove the magazine and pull the slide back, the spring should be holding the slide stop down.

If you insert and empty magazine, the follower will push the slide stop UP.

If both of the above are true, and a FULL magazine pushed the slide stop up, there's a chance you're using ammo with a strangely shaped projectile. In that case, try different ammo. Since you're an admitted beginner, I'll point out the obvious: If you're experimenting with live ammo, be careful you don't negligently discharge the firearm.
I have to admit, the one thing that changed between prior usage, and now...is the ammo. I'll drop the mag, make sure the chambered round is ejected, and replace the mag with one loaded with a more conventional projectile.
RustyIron likes this.
Retail1LO is offline   Reply With Quote